• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Listening to a couple of DNR's finest in a Madison gun shop Thursday, and the way I understood what they were saying, look for revamped deer hunting propsals to come out the first week in January. I checked the DNR site and found that all the new proposals(from 2010) were withdrawn on November 16 and a changed/new/different?? set of rule and regs(I guess, proposals) will be out on January 11, 2011. Was just starting to grasp the the impact of the original proposals. Not sure what these new ones will bring. The feeling I got from the officers was that none of them were a done deal, but I would think they would have to have something solid before long. Either changes or no changes.....any insight on the maybe new new offerings??:dunno:

2nthechest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    the way I understad things is that they are trying to produce record size deer in Indiana. I understand the theroy but as long as people are able to go to Dicks and buy a shotgun and go to the woods and hunt the next day we may never see the records that they see in neighboring Illinois. Seems in my years of hunting I am still seeing older mature hunters killing young 4 and 6 point deer not giving them the time to grow. I understad killig a MATURE 4 or 6 pointer that has no more growing to do, but if it is meat that you seek wait out for a doe. I had heard that was going to be one of the new regulations, to take a doe before you can take a buck? Not sure if it is true but it certainly makes sense to help produce bigger bucks.

We have people who hunt (Meat hunters) and then there are hunters (trophy hunters) I have nothing against either. Both have their place in the woods in my opinion. However, I hunt personal property and EVERY year I hear people on surronding properties at the crack of daylight on opening morning of firearm....bang bang bang bang bang.... Emptying a Mossberg 500 they bought the night before at Dicks sporting goods. I think thats what we need to focus on ending. I got my Hunters Education card when I was around 13 and I think it should be a requirment for eveyone who hunts. I helps establish a safer and more educated hunting atmospher, in my opinon. These fly by night hunters most likley will not take a day out of their schedual to go take the class.

Just my .02

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I agree with 2nthechest about the weekend hunters. But they are not the only problems. Just this past Wednesday I found a dead buck carcasses on the propety that I hunt on. I am a newish hunter I have been hunting for about 5 years I don't know if the deer was shot and not tracked or what. It was a same nice 7 point looked to be a 3-4 years old. There needs to be more educated hunters out there. About the trophy size deer, they are grown they don't just pop out of mom.

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    its also the insurance company's pushing to change the rules.
    if they make us take a doe before a buck it will drop the deer population to an all time low in a couple of years. think about it after a doe is born and has a fawn the first year, thats 2. the next year she will have 2 or 3 fawns,and so on. so in a 5 year life time a doe can produce 11 deer. thats if all her fawn live and if you count her from birth.
    think i read something about making the gun season shorter that wont solve anything either most hunters in In, hunt with a gun. if you want to change something like that then change the seasons to make them longer. make archery season the 1st of sept, and add a week to the end of gun muzzleloader season.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    We have people who hunt (Meat hunters) and then there are hunters (trophy hunters) I have nothing against either. Both have their place in the woods in my opinion. However, I hunt personal property and EVERY year I hear people on surronding properties at the crack of daylight on opening morning of firearm....bang bang bang bang bang.... Emptying a Mossberg 500 they bought the night before at Dicks sporting goods. I think thats what we need to focus on ending. I got my Hunters Education card when I was around 13 and I think it should be a requirment for eveyone who hunts. I helps establish a safer and more educated hunting atmospher, in my opinon.

Just my .02
    I think everyone can agree the better educated your fellow hunters are the better off EVERYONE is going to be, but I sure dont want a GOVERMENT agency telling me I have to go take a class to shoot a deer on MY PROPERTY that I work 6 or 7 days a week to pay for

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I read somewhere here that most of these rules were decided by lobbiests over steaks and Sapphire martinis at Elmo's. Amost everybody I know who hunts has seen fewer deer of both sexes this year.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    I read somewhere here that most of these rules were decided by lobbiests over steaks and Sapphire martinis at Elmo's. quote]

:popcorn: Ready...set.... GO!!!

It has truth to it. The funny thing was how butt hurt the lobbiest were when it was taken out of the chosen fews hands.

I LOL.:D

As to the person crying about large bucks....Boo hoo. I shot three does this year and couldnt care less about your big bucks.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    It has truth to it. The funny thing was how butt hurt the lobbiest were when it was taken out of the chosen fews hands.

I LOL.:D

Oh... I have NO DOUBT there is/could be truth to it.:D I was just settling in for when/if the one's WITH the butt hurt show up!:laugh:

Now, we've been told the Lobbists/stakeholders.... whoops did I say stakeholders, my bad. Anyway they HAD NOTHING to do with the proposed changes. As someone else said, "I guess they were just there to keep the chairs warm". What a crock of s**t.:noway:

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Make that first deer tag in firearms season worth a buck or a doe and Ill not have to wait to get shot at, i mean go during firearms season

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I think everyone can agree the better educated your fellow hunters are the better off EVERYONE is going to be, but I sure dont want a GOVERMENT agency telling me I have to go take a class to shoot a deer on MY PROPERTY that I work 6 or 7 days a week to pay for

+1

2nthechest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

I believe that a hunters Education card SHOULD be required to hunt public land not personal. You let them tell you that you have to wear a seat belt in a car that you pay for and insure yourself. All the more reason to make our voices heard.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I believe that a hunters Education card SHOULD be required to hunt public land not personal. You let them tell you that you have to wear a seat belt in a car that you pay for and insure yourself. All the more reason to make our voices heard.

I can see your point about public land. Without alot of thought I am not sure I agree but understand your point. I couldnt agree more with the majority of us dont do enough to let our voices to be heard! I have paid my fair share of seatbelt tickets.

Top Bottom