• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Maybe someone can explain this to me in terms I can understand.

Why is it that people always say: "OMG! Why would you carry a gun here? There are kids here!"

- My ex-girlfriend said something to this effect when we were going to the zoo. She didn't think I should carry a gun because there would be kids around. I'm a smart ass, my response was in case there was an escaped bear.
    - There is a supposed Pro-2A rally in Bloomington on the 23rd, and the organizer has asked that people carry with empty chambers and magazines because there will be children present.
    - My current girlfriend has made comments about my carrying at her sister's house because there are kids there.
    - I'm sure I have other examples that I can't remember at this point in time.

Unless I am at home (where there just happens to be no children) my sidearm is always holstered. If it's not IWB, then it is OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa which has Level 2 retention. This invalidates any 5 year old girl comments.

Why do people have such a big problem with others (or maybe it's just me personally) carrying a firearm where there are children present? Can anyone explain this to me in a rational, well thought out response that actually makes sense and will possibly make me reconsider my past actions and ask for forgiveness from those whom I have sinned against? :dunno:

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's flawed logic. Yes, guns and kids are a bad mix WHEN the kids are unsupervised and get ahold of a gun. However, that's not the case here. I think too many people read news stories about toddlers who shoot themselves in the head playing with daddy's gun. What the people reading this fail to realize is that instances like this are the result of neglectful parents. When a responsible adult has a gun around kids, there is no harm to the children whatsoever.

I, too, think it's ridiculous. But, what can you expect from a nation that watches their clown-in-chief surround himself with children while touting gun control and basically vilifying anyone who owns a gun?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Humans are inherently lazy creatures. This is only proven by observing technology. We invent things to make things in life easier so we have to put out less effort. It's simply easier to try and "keep guns away" from children, then to do what a parent is supposed to and EDUCATE their kids about firearms safety. If one has a subcounscious fear of firearms they aren't necessarily aware of, they will demonstrate this in their actions and expectations of others, such as in these circumstances.

"I'm afraid of A: guns in general, or B: people I don't know having guns, and therefore I need to alleviate this fear by imposing restrictions that on face value seem to solve the potential danger rather than addressing my own shortcomings (laziness and unwillingness to educate children.)"

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Humans are inherently lazy creatures. This is only proven by observing technology. We invent things to make things in life easier so we have to put out less effort. It's simply easier to try and "keep guns away" from children, then to do what a parent is supposed to and EDUCATE their kids about firearms safety. If one has a subcounscious fear of firearms they aren't necessarily aware of, they will demonstrate this in their actions and expectations of others, such as in these circumstances.

"I'm afraid of A: guns in general, or B: people I don't know having guns, and therefore I need to alleviate this fear by imposing restrictions that on face value seem to solve the potential danger rather than addressing my own shortcomings (laziness and unwillingness to educate children.)"
    The only valid argument I received from my current gf about my carrying at her sister's house was that it is not my place to introduce her nieces to guns. If their parents want them to be, it is their place. But, it's not as if I am open carrying and spouting off the 2nd Amendment while I am there.

Her nieces are 11 and 13, and I doubt they even know I am carrying when I am there. Their dad (gf's brother in law) made me one time, and he didn't really seem to care. He followed me to the garage and wanted to see what I was carrying. That's about all that has happened.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

Well, there isn't anything more to say here. You've won the Internet.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The only valid argument I received from my current gf about my carrying at her sister's house was that it is not my place to introduce her nieces to guns. If their parents want them to be, it is their place. But, it's not as if I am open carrying and spouting off the 2nd Amendment while I am there.

Her nieces are 11 and 13, and I doubt they even know I am carrying when I am there. Their dad (gf's brother in law) made me one time, and he didn't really seem to care. He followed me to the garage and wanted to see what I was carrying. That's about all that has happened.
    It's an odd mix of persistence, patience, and communication skills to be able to convert people's minds regarding firearms. Few people take the time to do it and have all of the necessary skills and dedication. IDK why but I've always welcomed it because I'm so passionate about firearms and have been my entire life.

It probably helps that I grew up in a house with my sister who was the exact polar opposite on most things and absolutely hates guns and feels that only cops should have them. Although I dedicate a great deal of time and effort to helping people with firearms fears and converting their mindset, it doesn't come up between my sister and I. It's odd, but fine with me. I'm not too fond of her to begin with, LOL.

I would just tell her that you obviously weren't trying to teach them about guns since it was concealed. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When people ask "don't you care about the kids", ask them why THEY don't care about the kids.
    Someone comes in the door wanting to be the next media darling and up the stakes, isn't going to be stopped by unicorns, or parents shielding their kids with their bodies.
    They will be stopped by a piece of lead, moving at high velocity, propelled by gas created by burning propellant. In short, your gun.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    People have been trained to be fearful of guns and that only police and military are responsible enough to carry one. After all they have training and now when to pull it and when not to pull it.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne

To an extent while OC in public are you not potentially introducing other kids to a Firearm? I see no difference here. Kids need to learn one way or the other and hopefully its from parents who are willing to teach them rather then then them learning it from a movie or tv show.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    From what I've read in another threads, parents with kids around are never threats, so if there are only kids and their parents around, there's no need for a gun.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Maybe someone can explain this to me in terms I can understand.

Why is it that people always say: "OMG! Why would you carry a gun here? There are kids here!".... :dunno:

1. Even "trained professionals" have episodes of ND.
    There's a recent thread here now regarding a city police officer shooting a trainee.

2. Just by looking at you, a parent cannot tell if you're a jack wagon or a responsible gun owner.

3. All people do not "always" say 'OMG etc etc'. Some people who have limited exposure to guns and gun people, but who watch the news have heard of this recent horrible thing that happened to small children.

4. Many people do not believe that just because you have a gun, that you know how to use it correctly. They also may believe that if that gun got away from you, it could land in the wrong hands.
    (sure, we've never, EVER, heard of a gun owner losing his gun, have we.)

5. I could go on, but you get the drift, I think.

Let's not paint concerned citizens with a broad brush of irrational ignorance.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Why does the presence of children change the equation?

I'd call that irrational ignorance.

Because. Any non intentional discharge may hit a kid.
    That is not irrational. It's a reality.

Look, I'm not against carrying anywhere someone damn well pleases, kids or no kids. But I'm against trying to portray those who have concerns as being stupid or irrational.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    When people ask "don't you care about the kids", ask them why THEY don't care about the kids.
    Someone comes in the door wanting to be the next media darling and up the stakes, isn't going to be stopped by unicorns, or parents shielding their kids with their bodies.
    They will be stopped by a piece of lead, moving at high velocity, propelled by gas created by burning propellant. In short, your gun.

:rockwoot:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Because. Any non intentional discharge may hit a kid.
    That is not irrational. It's a reality.

Look, I'm not against carrying anywhere someone damn well pleases, kids or no kids. But I'm against trying to portray those who have concerns as being stupid or irrational.
    ...So simply having a concern means you can't be stupid and irrational?

Just because you're concerned about somebody having a firearm around your children doesn't make you automatically educated and rational.

Top Bottom