• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I've got a Olympic and its a shooter. Bought it from a co-worker who was the original owner. He never had any issues with it and I shot it with him before buying it. All of the parts are mil-spec. I wanted a flattop upper for mine, so I got a GG&G Dominator upper and guess what.......it fit like a glove. It shoots great. Another co-worker bought a Olympic from Bradis and hasn't had a single problem from his either. After seeing my new upper, he bought one too. I paid more for the upper than I did for the whole gun! I use 30 rd. GI mags and P-Mags without a problem. Buy one and you won't be disapointed.:ar15:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Tell you what....if you want to shoot one prior to buying, I'll offer mine up with either upper. You choose either the Olympic upper or the GG&G and we can meet up at either Atterbury or elsewhere and you can shoot mine. P.M. me if interested.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    The problems with tight chambers, is this something that was repaired,and the rifle worked fine afterward,or, was it just left alone to be delt with everytime you shot. I would suppose the chamber could be loosened up to run more smooth when it gets warm?
    Are they picky about what they eat? I will probably reload, I tend to pick up a lot of Lake City brass, what grain boolits do they shoot best?

The Stainless Ultra Match barrels have tight chambers, but that is deliberately so because it contributes to accuracy. The low cost Olys don't have these barrels - they're generally found on their higher end rifles. If this is why the chamber is tight, it isn't going to "break in" or fix itself.

These barrels can be extremely picky about out-of-spec ammo, and it is generally a very bad idea to shoot laquer coated steel case ammo through them.

If you reload, you will not have a problem sizing your cases appropriately to suit your rifle. I used a Dillon .223 case guage (the kind where the whole cartridge drops in to the guage) and it is easy to ensure your rifle will like your ammo.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Again, THANKS!!! I have been reading and your input is invaluable. Its hard to get FACTS from the web, but I trust you guys here. Seems they are like cars, every now and then a stinker passes QC.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    I've had one for about 2.5 years, and until I messed with the block, i have 0 zero problems with it. I was able to correct my mistake and continued with the fun and reliability of the Oly.
    Like another member said above, Bradis carries a lifetime warranty on theirs. And at Bradis, if there is a fit or finish problem, they will probably fix it or take it back.
    I believe they may put out a few lemons, but don't they all?

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    so does Taurus. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

And Taurus honors it no questions asked, also with free shipping both ways on my TCP. My other two Taurus’s have run perfect.

To the OP, Olympic does offer a lifetime warranty, but I haven't needed it, my Oly has functioned flawlessly for over a year, and close to a thousand rounds.

I like Olympic but what do I know I just have first hand experience and not hearsay off of a clearly anti-Oly forum.:rolleyes:

Z71Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had my olympic for a couple of years now. Bought it slightly used from a friend for a good price. I can say that i've never had any problems.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    And Taurus honors it no questions asked, also with free shipping both ways on my TCP. My other two Taurus’s have run perfect.

To the OP, Olympic does offer a lifetime warranty, but I haven't needed it, my Oly has functioned flawlessly for over a year, and close to a thousand rounds.

I like Olympic but what do I know I just have first hand experience and not hearsay off of a clearly anti-Oly forum.:rolleyes:

just like lancaster AKs? its all just hearsay....

there are lots of forums that are filled with complaints about both of those companies and their CS. (this is the only pro-Oly forum i have been on.)
    heck, taurusarmed.net has a Complaints section. :laugh::laugh: there ARE plenty of happy Oly owners, but it appears they seem to let more lemons out than other companies. Olympic Arms' bad reputation was earned; it's not a conspiracy. :):

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I've had one for about 2.5 years, and until I messed with the block, i have 0 zero problems with it. I was able to correct my mistake and continued with the fun and reliability of the Oly.
    Like another member said above, Bradis carries a lifetime warranty on theirs. And at Bradis, if there is a fit or finish problem, they will probably fix it or take it back.
    I believe they may put out a few lemons, but don't they all?
    Did you ever get that taken care of??

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    So a company can't restore their reputation with quality products, and a great warranty?

Then someone should tell that to Hyundai, because they seem to be on a roll lately.
    http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20100504/NEWS01/5040340/Hyundai-sets-another-sales-record-in-April-plans-increase-in-production

Back on the topic of Olympic Arms, they did produce AR's with cast receivers back in the early 90's, but now they are forged like everyone else.

Heck even the highly touted Bushmaster had a dud with their carbon fiber AR receivers, should everyone stop buying Bushmaster, and relegate them to the bottom of the barrel?

just like lancaster AKs? its all just hearsay....

there are lots of forums that are filled with complaints about both of those companies and their CS. (this is the only pro-Oly forum i have been on.)
    heck, taurusarmed.net has a Complaints section. :laugh::laugh: there ARE plenty of happy Oly owners, but it appears they seem to let more lemons out than other companies. Olympic Arms' bad reputation was earned; it's not a conspiracy. :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've sat out of this discussion and just watched.

It is amazing how many Olympic Arms bashers there are here who have never shot, held or owned an Oly.

FWIW two of my AR15s are Olympic Arms guns. They are two of my cheaper guns, pretty much plain jane models. One is a bright pink plinker plus that I got for my daughter, another is a 9mm pistol carbine. I've also owned M4 Clone Olympic Arms ARs (sold them because I didn't need another M4) and Varmint barrel Olympic Arms guns (sold because I have other guns that are of similar configuration). I have NEVER had any problem with ANY of the Olympic Arms guns I've ever owned. Nor have I had any problems with any of the Olympic Arms uppers that I have owned. In my lifetime I've probably had 6 to 8 different Oly uppers IN ADDITION to several OLY complete guns.

Never have I ever had a problem with any one of them.

Of the dozen(?) ARs currently in the safes, the gun shot the most is actually the Oly Plinker Plus. Its our defacto go-to gun around here.

What is funny to see are the Oly bashers who look at the AR15.com charts and then prognosticate and wax eloquent about crap to which they know nothing about. The guns are cheap, they work, they are accurate. If you think they suck then go to 21st Century Arms and argue with those boys, they sell truckloads of Oly guns, many to police officers. If they suck so much then why do they sell them and stand behind them?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In any manufacturing process there are always tolerances. And yes from what I have been told and read, Olympic did sell some inferior products in the 90's which to my understanding was before their fire. It's my understanding that when they rebuilt, their quality was improved. And just to stir the pot didn't the original M16's have a multitude of problems when they were first handed to soldiers? Seems I have read that several times. I am certain that not every firearm produced is put through a rigorous inspection. It's next to impossible to mass produce any product and check every part & piece for 100%precision. Another example, my brother has a Sig Sauer P220 which shoots almost two inches low at less than 25 yds. And their reputation for quality is among the best. Buy an Olympic and you won't be disappointed.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    I found this on M4Carbine.net, which I think is the most informative sight about the AR world, even more than AR15.com(really dont like that sight). It has everything you need to know about the various makers of M4's and AR's and which one's you should spend money on and which you should. Put together by some of the industries smartest and finest shooters, manufacturers, and operators.

M4 CHART

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I found this on M4Carbine.net . . . blah blah blah. . .

M4 CHART

Sorry but that M4 Chart is really a very MISLEADING chart for the average AR15 buyer.
    • First off it ONLY applies to 1 model of AR15 and ONLY applies to a VERY SPECIFIC configuration. This is not to say the chart is wrong, but it is to say that many users MISAPPLY the chart's information.
    • Secondly it ONLY accepts CERTAIN criteria as Mil-Spec but ignores other Mil-Spec standards (example, there are 3 acceptable Mil-Spec ways to stake a gas key but the chart only accepts 1 of those 3 ways).
    • Third, if you attempt to use the chart to determine "quality" of a gun then you are simply an idiot as the chart does not determine quality or indicate quality in any way, it simply identifies the mil-spec standard and holds the gun to that standard.
    • Forth, some companies specifically choose use different rifling that is not mil-spec because MOST of the ammo in the commercial market is not stabilized by the mil-spec turn rate. So while those companies do something good for their customer, they are penalized on the chart because the twist rate is not mil-spec.
    • I could go on but I simply will end with a BIG CAUTIONARY WARNING. While that chart is great for comparing strictly mil-spec M4 clones, anyone who attempts to blindly follow that chart and apply it for ANYTHING else, for ANY OTHER PURPOSE, in ANY OTHER WAY is going to be doing themselves a huge disservice.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    And Ill come back with a I would never buy anything on the lowe end of the Chart. BCM, Noveske, Colt and Daniel Defense are the ONLY manufacturers I consider quality. I get all my information from M4Carbine.net as Ive learned more there than on other sight. The folks there are the most knowledgeable in the business.

Im not wasting money on RRA, Bushmaster or anything other than most likely BCM products.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I don't own a Olympic, mainly cause I run piston guns only these days.. However most of the guys in our shop do. I'd be willing to bet they'd stack their K-8's up against any other companies gun for accuracy. I have never had a single person come back to us and say that their Olympic sucks for any reason. Just them come back and tell how they can't believe how accurate they are or what a great deal it was. I have had a group of 3 guys from Bloomington drive up to the shop to grab K-16's after they saw how well their friend's shot after the Spring 1500. In all my years not one other person or even people have done that for another brand that I have ever seen first hand.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    And Ill come back with a I would never buy anything on the lowe end of the Chart. . .

I understand. You base your opinions on emotion while ignoring factual evidence. I've not said the chart is wrong but it is often misunderstood and misused by people who mistakenly assume the chart applies to all rifles from the makers listed, when in fact it clearly has a disclaimer added as an addendum cautioning people from making such errors and explaining to which rifles it very specifically refers. You may want to refer to the note that show how the chart is to be used and indicate it really cannot be applied to varmint guns, target rifkes, DCM competition guns, etc, etc. . .

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    A few months ago, I investigated the differences of the various manufacturers of an AR. A number gun dealers confirmed to me that there lies virtually no difference in quality of any manufacturing of the AR from the various makers.

However, you do get the product of which you pay. Common variances in price, are often associated to specific features of the firearm. Such examples include:

• Chromed Barrel
    • Forward Assist
    • Bayonet Lug
    • Brass Deflector
    • Flat top or fixed top handle
    • Type of muzzle brake or flash suppressor
    • Stock
    While owning a Colt or an Armalite manufactured firearm might be more prestigious, I never realized, nor do I agree that firearms are a fashion statement. The firearm that does the job to my standards, is the firearm that I wish to have. Why spend more if it isn't required?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Very well stated JBusch8899. Factor in what you intend to use the firearm for and then decide what model fits those needs. Personally I factor in the cost last. There are plenty of excellent guns that are at the lower end of the cost spectrum. You do get what you pay for but only to an extent. You do pay for the name as well. Materials vary like chromed lined vs. chrome moly. Now I know a few things about metal and I can tell you that the chrome lining can become chipped and once it starts it deterorates quickly. Chrome moly in itself resists rust and corrosion very well. Chrome moly has can be a thinner material and still have the same tensil strength of other steels more than twice as thick. That means less weight. I do not need/ want chrome lined. Honestly, I am a bit of a fair weather shooter but I will shoot in light rain but either way when I get home my guns get stripped down and given a thorough cleaning before putting them in my humidity controlled safe. I'll bet most of us don't neglect to maintain our guns.

Top Bottom