• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I've been checking these out, just wondered why they do not recieve high marks around here. Reliability? Quality? Fit and Finish? Looking for something to punch holes in paper at Appleseeds, maybe a varmint or two. :popcorn:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The one I bought the upper and lower didnt match and was anything but reliable.

Up side...there cheap

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have one and was a bit sceptical, but after a shooting trip Friday with a friend and his Rock River.. I have confidence in Olympic. Mine shot every bit as well as his more expensive carbine. We were both surprised at the accuracy and reliability.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    You can get sw M&P kits now and just get your own lower. the one in my avitar i put togather myself. its fairly easy to do.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    oly has a reputation for letting more lemons off the line than other companies. a google search or ARF.com will show you horror stories. i think it also depends on your intended use. if you're an occasional plinker, any Oly might be ok. if you will be using it as a duty gun, do yourself a favor and buy a Colt, Noveske, BCM, S&W, etc. these companies use higher quality materials and that IS a fact.

but my way of thinking was that for only a little more, a much better gun can be had. ymmv.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I have had my Oly for years. I have ran so many rounds through it I have lost count. No jams, FTF, or hiccups. I would not hesitate to buy another.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Thanks guys!!! I'm just looking for something to take to a seed and start my boys out on the "AR" platform rifles. I do not have any real experience at building guns from parts, but I see that putting together a rifle for a specific use, this is the way to go.

Thanks again, for the help, and any more help would be welcome. :ingo: :ar15:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've had several oly's and they have all been good guns but I have experience with 4 recent purchase and 3 of the 4 guns (all plinkers) and they are reliable and exactly what they are advertised, One of the 4 had a very tight chamber and shot factory stuff fine but reloads had to be sized down to the very very very minimum past anything in my 25 years experience reloading had ever seen.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I ran 1500 rounds in one morning through an Olympic M4 post sample. Most all shooting was done full auto with absolutely 100% reliability. We were using 4 or 5 different style magazines and at least 4 different brands of ammunition. This was part of a SWAT TV episode and since we ran the drills continuously I was unable to load mags and relied on a crew to keep mags loaded, sometimes to 28 rounds sometimes all the way to 30.
    You can't go wrong with Olympic.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I have had 2 Oly uppers and 2 lowers. Every piece had a problem: from too tight chambers to mis-located holes. I will not own another. IMHO they are cheap for a reason.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I really like my Oly.

I ran 1500 rounds in one morning through an Olympic M4 post sample. Most all shooting was done full auto with absolutely 100% reliability. We were using 4 or 5 different style magazines and at least 4 different brands of ammunition. This was part of a SWAT TV episode and since we ran the drills continuously I was unable to load mags and relied on a crew to keep mags loaded, sometimes to 28 rounds sometimes all the way to 30.
    You can't go wrong with Olympic.
    Ahem... I wonder where I could have bought mine... ;)

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    When I was doing the appleseed thing on a regular basis if an AR was jamming it was usually an Olympic.
    I think it was from tight chambers.
    I'd always heard their tolerances were too tight and when they heated up then the jams would start.
    I'd only own a Rock river theese days

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    The problems with tight chambers, is this something that was repaired,and the rifle worked fine afterward,or, was it just left alone to be delt with everytime you shot. I would suppose the chamber could be loosened up to run more smooth when it gets warm?
    Are they picky about what they eat? I will probably reload, I tend to pick up a lot of Lake City brass, what grain boolits do they shoot best?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with the rest you can't go wrong with an Olympic. If you do get one with a tight chamber, call them and send it back. I've been told by the guys a Bradis they carry a lifetime warranty. Olyimpic's website claims that all their barrels are match grade. And as said before. mine seems to be just as accurate as a Rock River.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I agree with the rest you can't go wrong with an Olympic. If you do get one with a tight chamber, call them and send it back. I've been told by the guys a Bradis they carry a lifetime warranty. Olyimpic's website claims that all their barrels are match grade. And as said before. mine seems to be just as accurate as a Rock River.

so does Taurus. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom