• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avalonbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just got a new E-mail flyer from Atlantic Firearms. the flyer is showing a Olympic Arms A1 Carbine. for the $599.00
    Has anyone owned this gun, fired one or inspected it it, whats the deal with it is it worth it.?

Flyer says
    Olympic Arms A1 Carbine. for the $599.00

7075 T6 Aluminum Forged Receivers Made By Olympic Arms Black Matte Anodized Receivers, Parkerized Steel Parts Gas Operated Semi-Automatic comes with 1 30 round mag, sling rifle hard case , backed up by a Lifetime Warranty & 60 day money back guarantee.

:ar15:

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not sure where you are located but I know 21st Century and Bradis both carry Olympic Arms and are around that price I think too.

I had one, bought it from 21st Century. It was a piece of ****, would jam after every single round. Sent it back, worked fine for a few hundred rounds then same thing. Sent it back in, seemed to work ok but I traded it off. They do have a lifetime warranty, so be prepared to use it if need be.

I don't want to dissuade you and I am sure there are thousands of positive stories. But owning one before Id rather have a DPMS, Delton, S&W Sport, etc for abotu the same $$.

I think I read on here a few months back that Atterbury had some DPMS rifles for $575 or something crazy low.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    they have a lifetime warranty, but the interwebz is filled with tales of how stellar it is....kinda like Taurus.

Buy a complete upper and lower from PSA.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    I have one and its a Jam, Double Feed machine. I had to pour oil in it to keep it firing. The bolt carrier was milled down and cut back along with the Hammer. It will keep me from every going cheap again.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    lol Olympic is like Century. They have earned their reputation. And while Olympic seems to have improved in recent years, gun owners have long memories. To my thinking, why even mess with it given what is available for a little for money.

I trust my WASR over that pos olympic any day :D

I know where Bradis is but 21st Century where is that located . I'm In Anderson.

They are in bluffton, IN. South of Ft Wayne by about 15 miles or so. Its not a bad drive for you, but Im sure Bradis is closer.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've owned several Olympic AR's over the last 20 years and still have the very first 16 in. A2 no m4 feedramp, standard forarme plain jane AR and it has 6k + rounds through it and I lay it out for general use at our Club quasi 2 gun matches and (knock on wood) has ran with so few failures that I can't remember them. I've had the top end Oly ultramatch (or whatever they call it, I'm too lazy to go to the website and see what I owned) and I shot that in matches for a long time as a Match gun and shot prarie dogs with it.

That said I think some of the guns bought in the first year of the Obama Shame had some tight chambers and didn't like my reloads even though they were fine with other AR's and the case gauges. But it was tight chambers were its only problem, no feed problems ect.

I'm sure someone else will say that thier so bad that they cause cancer in California.

But Experience is the best teacher. So buy what you wish and if it doesn't work out sell it and buy something else.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I worked in manufacturing industry for a number of years, and had a number of different manufacturers of M16's in the Marine Corps and so I would definitely vouch that the majority of parts are made at the same places with the same materials. They simply put their own stamps and metal finish on the majority of them. That being said...our of all of the AR's i've ever had in my collection....Olympics were the WORST and in fact the ONLY one which I've ever had repeat problems with and the only brand which I absolutely refuse to purchase anymore. I build all of my own these days and can build them for about 630-50 any day of the week and I've never had a problem out of any other AR's. For the reliability spend the extra 30 and build your own

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I bought one new 2 years ago. cleaned it nice and went to the range...jam jam jam. Tried all kinds of ammo. It started to double feed. Sent it back....came back and jam jam jam.

Oly arms customer service was bad. I was talked to like a 2nd class citizen. Never again will i buy there stuff again.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I've had my Oly for a couple of years, I shoot it regularly at Appleseeds, and, except for a jam or two when it was new, and a repair to the FSB (canted) it shoots like a dream.

All I do is keep her clean and talk nice to her.;) She likes to be fed a diet of 55 grainers I prepare for her, she does like to have a treat now and again of a 62 grainer over some Benchmark with a #41 stuck in for good measure.

I went thru all this when I bought mine, (see "light reading post" by Shooter521) guns are a lot like cars, good ones are built everyday, but, so are turds. My advice would be, if the name is important, keep lookin, you could start to doubt your firearm ( you get a jam or two FSB prob) and the relationship will be jaded. I have shot with a lot of the guys that answered my questions, so, I know them to be true. If you just want a rifle to shoot, and have a few bucks to run some ammo thru it, go for it. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I bought one new 2 years ago. cleaned it nice and went to the range...jam jam jam. Tried all kinds of ammo. It started to double feed. Sent it back....came back and jam jam jam.

Oly arms customer service was bad. I was talked to like a 2nd class citizen. Never again will i buy there stuff again.

Thats pretty much how I felt when I sent mine back too. No communication, took months to get it looked at. When I called to check on it, they said well we dont have time we are getting ready for shot show. I get its a big show, but come on.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've put 1200 rounds through my Oly, and the previous owner put only god knows how many through it.

Not a single problem yet and this includes reloads, PMC bulk, and steel cased ammo.

:dunno:

avalonbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After reading the comments here. I have made up my mind that saving the money that I would spend on the Olympic Arms A1 Carbine . And purchase one with a way better review/record. Be it on the range,home defense or battlefield I need something I can trust.Thats why I ask here first. Before just going out and buying a POS rifle.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    After reading the comments here. I have made up my mind that saving the money that I would spend on the Olympic Arms A1 Carbine . And purchase one with a way better review/record. Be it on the range,home defense or battlefield I need something I can trust.Thats why I ask here first. Before just going out and buying a POS rifle.
    Good thinking!:rockwoot: I don't know where you live but of all the dealers in AR's out there, there are a precious few who will gladly help you build your first AR if you buy the parts from them. My first two ARs were Bushmasters and were, IMHO, JUNK. After that I bought Stag Arms factory made and it is a keeper for about 5 years now. Since then I have built 2 more from Stag and Model One parts with the help of my dealer (Ranger Supply in Fort Wayne) and they have been FLAWLESS.

Do your research and see what the dealer will bring you other than just selling you PARTS. Nothing feels better than building your own rifle! Good luck!

Top Bottom