Oldie but goody: Swimming pools vs guns. What is more dangerous to have at home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Stumbled upon this article today, thought it was interesting. It's safe to assume that leaving a loaded, chambered, safety off firearm in arms reach of a small child probably isn't the brightest idea in the world... but is it worse than having a pool in your back yard? Data suggest it isn't.

Check it out: Op-ed piece on swimming pools vs. guns as the most dangerous weapon ? Deltoid

Save the link, maybe if someone criticize you for having guns in your house with your children you can shame them into getting rid of their backyard pool or filling it in with dirt... because think of the children! :)

3badkids

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would imagine the stats would have similar data if it was recent.

I own both and I have 3 kids so as the story would suggest the odds are stacked. Well for me it is not. I'm a responsible gun owner as my kids are educated and my guns are not accessible (locked up /safe). My pool use to worry me when my kids were younger and couldn't swim. They are excellent swimmers because I had a pool so I don't worry too much about them whenever we're around water (lake or pond)

Anyway when it comes to accidental deaths among children the number one leading cause is the "Automobile"

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I would imagine the stats would have similar data if it was recent.

I own both and I have 3 kids so as the story would suggest the odds are stacked. Well for me it is not. I'm a responsible gun owner as my kids are educated and my guns are not accessible (locked up /safe). My pool use to worry me when my kids were younger and couldn't swim. They are excellent swimmers because I had a pool so I don't worry too much about them whenever we're around water (lake or pond)

Anyway when it comes to accidental deaths among children the number one leading cause is the "Automobile"

AccDeath2011.jpg
    Deaths2011.jpg

Quinsee001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Seymour
    Anything can be deadly

Another member with both. Likewise, my answer is education, respect, and practice. Ignorance have never solved a difficult problem.

TY, indyblue, them's some nice charts for the stat-whore in me.

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Let's no forget about abusive parents, How many kids die every year because some kind of abuse of parents?. Nobody comes up with any laws about been harsher with this people on prohibit them from having more kids.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For many years (and fairly recently last time I checked), the number of kids drowning in things like buckets and toilets was greater than the number killed in firearms accidents.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Bookmarked this for the charty goodness.

I never wanted a tatoo until now...That would look great on my butt cheek...I can imagine the conversation...

Long haired Liberal Douchebag- "You know guns kill more people than anything but being how you are a gun totin' River Rat Redneck I am sure you are going to pull some statistic out of your A$$ to prove me wrong....Am I right?"

Scruffy Haired River Rat Redneck (me as I am pulling my pants down and pointing my posterior towards him)- "As a matter of fact...Yes...I do have some stats on my A$$...Read'em and weep Hippie!":):

Top Bottom