• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Old school is my preferred way to go hunting! That looks like a good time in the woods for a week to me...mix it in with the Boundary Water Canoe Wilderness Area or some such place and that is what memories are made of.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just wanna know where I can find a coat like that these days without spending $200 on it at some boutique "outfitter". Same goes for a decent field jacket with a game pouch in the back.

Those price tags are my biggest gripe. I never thought I'd say this, but gortex with a northface fleece jacket as a liner is much cheaper in today's world than trying to buy a hunting jacket like that. True flannel or fleece shirts with pockets are about $100 and those coats would be a good find at $200. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I've been trying to get pricing on these types of items because I'm taking a Dave Cantebury Pathfinder Basic survival course next month and that guy teaches old school pioneer way of surviving. If anyone has a lead on old school types of hunting clothes post it up.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Those price tags are my biggest gripe. I never thought I'd say this, but gortex with a northface fleece jacket as a liner is much cheaper in today's world than trying to buy a hunting jacket like that. True flannel or fleece shirts with pockets are about $100 and those coats would be a good find at $200. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I've been trying to get pricing on these types of items because I'm taking a Dave Cantebury Pathfinder Basic survival course next month and that guy teaches old school pioneer way of surviving. If anyone has a lead on old school types of hunting clothes post it up.
    Seriously agree.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Those price tags are my biggest gripe. I never thought I'd say this, but gortex with a northface fleece jacket as a liner is much cheaper in today's world than trying to buy a hunting jacket like that. True flannel or fleece shirts with pockets are about $100 and those coats would be a good find at $200. If anyone has a lead on old school types of hunting clothes post it up.

I get mine at Thrift Stores and have done well at the ones local Catholic Churches run... And I mean old school 1950's-1960's LL Bean, Woolrich, etc...Wool Plaid shirts...I never have paid over $10 and have a few....They last forevever...My best one my Uncle picked up at a dump in NH (Dumps in NH are not like dumps here)...It is a wool hunting jacket from the 1940's in red plaid and we leave it at the farm and has come in handy on many a cold day for guests that don't understand the difference between "Rural Cold" and "City Cold."

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I get mine at Thrift Stores and have done well at the ones local Catholic Churches run... And I mean old school 1950's-1960's LL Bean, Woolrich, etc...Wool Plaid shirts...I never have paid over $10 and have a few....They last forevever...My best one my Uncle picked up at a dump in NH (Dumps in NH are not like dumps here)...It is a wool hunting jacket from the 1940's in red plaid and we leave it at the farm and has come in handy on many a cold day for guests that don't understand the difference between "Rural Cold" and "City Cold."
    I never can find those. Been looking for a long time but no one was fluffy back then I guess :):

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The wool Plaid is tough to find. I use an M65 Army field jacket, and a camo/orange hunting vest which has a pocket for game on the back. Other pockets are good for light carry, has a concealed hood and wind flaps on zipper-snap front. Belt carry gear is a little concealed-but usually isn't required right away.

A day pack w/ essentials, or a sling type could sneak you without a rucksack mounted on your back.

Had a bout of shingles couple yrs back, and only could deal with pocket carry for the hunting season. Had about half of the pictured gear, so now I am a light weight believer.
    Shingles were between my shoulder blades-mid back, like the gear basics, but keep BOBs with more gear stored. Save your back.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I never can find those. Been looking for a long time but no one was fluffy back then I guess :):

That's my other big problem with finding clothes. I'm in one of those in betbetween sizes where a regular store looks at me like I'm a whale and doesn't have anything that fits, but the big and tall stores look at me like I'm a minnow.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    teddy12b the shirt or coat you linked to isn't flannel it is flannelette. For it to be flannel it would be wool. Flannelette is cotton like in PJs. The $34 isn't a bad price for good flannelette. The $80 would be in line with wool, flannel.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    teddy12b the shirt or coat you linked to isn't flannel it is flannelette. For it to be flannel it would be wool. Flannelette is cotton like in PJs. The $34 isn't a bad price for good flannelette. The $80 would be in line with wool, flannel.

That was the part that has driven me nutts over the years. Things get advertised as flannel, and then they're 100% cotton.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The wool Plaid is tough to find. I use an M65 Army field jacket, and a camo/orange hunting vest which has a pocket for game on the back. Other pockets are good for light carry, has a concealed hood and wind flaps on zipper-snap front. Belt carry gear is a little concealed-but usually isn't required right away.

A day pack w/ essentials, or a sling type could sneak you without a rucksack mounted on your back.

Had a bout of shingles couple yrs back, and only could deal with pocket carry for the hunting season. Had about half of the pictured gear, so now I am a light weight believer.
    Shingles were between my shoulder blades-mid back, like the gear basics, but keep BOBs with more gear stored. Save your back.
    When I could hunt I really enjoyed carrying a haversack. I have a leather one and one that's "tar" covered like the civil war era ones.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    L.L. Bean Has the wool shirt for $90. They have the hunting coat for $150. For here where I live the shirt would be good most of the time. It would work through hunting season anyway.

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Damn, now I have to root around for the old (wool) flannel shirt. I'm sure it's here somewhere......
    Love this thread!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't want to live in the field for a week with that stuff, although I could probably survive a week, even though I have no hunting skills whatsoever. For those of you looking for wool clothing, I almost bought a set of wool-ish hunting togs a couple years ago at Gander Mountain. Wool outside, GORETEX (or similar) lining in pants and jacket. Probably the best of both worlds between fire-resistance and vapor expression in a clothing layer - and more quiet than standard military wear.

As for the cutlery, I carry four knives as EDC and have a tomahawk or a Kukhri in my survival pack. Overkill perhaps, but I don't think one can be overburdened with sharp-edged implements.

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I scrounged up this random assortment of old gear. This is the type of stuff an outdoorsman would have taken into the woods with him for a day of hunting, even 100 years ago.

Could you survive a week in Autumn in the woods in North America with these items? You should! You should be able to do it with half the gear. Some of it is redundant. Know more, carry less. Much of what you would need could be provided by your environment. Thoughts? Comments? Challenges?

e237d0f8-7fb1-47ba-bafe-40be87b26917_zps312dc1d2.jpg

I think you answered your own question.
    Back in the day there e plenty of people who didn't belong in the woods and plenty who thrived there
    All the way back to the first settler days that held true.
    All the modern gear in the world can't help someone who doesn't belong in the woods.
    The one thing that helps you most that can't be depicted in the photo is knowledge
    With the right knowledge you could survive and thrive with very little that's pictured

Top Bottom