• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hurler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    An elderly family member recently passed away and while cleaning out the house we found a few pistols. One of them is this decorative small revolver. Pics below. All I know about it is that it belonged to either me great grandmother or my great great aunt and that it was her " going into the city alone" pistol. I didn't see any make or model info and I didn't think to write down the serial no if it has one. Any clue on the make or model? I think it is either a .22 or .25. Probably not interested in selling but would like to know the value if anyone has a clue. Any suggestions on how to go about finding the make model price? Helpfully websites maybee? Pics shorty. Any info would be appreciated. http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q521/hurler7/Picture042.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    That's some nice scroll work too.

For a fee ($20 I think) you can send the serial number to S&W and get a more detailed history of it.

It MAY be worth a pretty penny.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think CarmelHP nailed it:
    The Arms Room: Sunday Smith #49: .32 Safety Hammerless 1st Model, 1891
    32saftham1st.JPG

There are a few up on Gunbroker, to give you a rough idea of value:
    Buy and Sell Items at GunBroker.com

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    It may also be a Iver Johnson hammerless or U.S. Revolver Co. hammerless (also made by Iver Johnson). It's also a top break. If it's a five round revolver it is most likely .32 S&W (.32 short) cartridge. The serial number should be on the bottom of the trigger guard and also under the left grip on the frame. I'm betting it's an Iver Johnson because if it were a U.S. Revolver Co. (by Iver Johnson) it would be roll marked so on top of the barrel. Worth wise it could be anywhere between 100.00 to maybe 350.00 dependant on exact manufacture, date, calibre, and condition. If it's in top condition and is either a .32 short or .38 std. I'd place it at about 150.00 presently.

While Iver Johnson made excellent revolvers that are reliable and where of high quality they are not sought out by antique revolver collectors. Ultimately it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It may also be a Iver Johnson hammerless or U.S. Revolver Co. hammerless (also made by Iver Johnson).

Possible, but the shoulder just above the grip safety screams S&W. The IJ shoulder was somewhat less pronounced in my memory. Also, as I recall, the IJ "Safety Automatic" didn't have a grip safety like the S&W, the "safety" referred to was a transfer bar safety.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Possible, but the shoulder just above the grip safety screams S&W. The IJ shoulder was somewhat less pronounced in my memory. Also, as I recall, the IJ "Safety Automatic" didn't have a grip safety like the S&W, the "safety" referred to was a transfer bar safety.

What he said. It's about $60 for a Roy Jenks letter but I think it would be money well invested to see if the grips and scroll work are factory.

Top Bottom