• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Check out a credit union, ALL/EVERY bank(s) will be charging fees like that soon!
    +1

Check into a credit union. I always thought they were just talked up banks etc and that my hometown bank was top notch. I moved away and joined a credit union that has a branch at my place of work (that probably give it away to many). No fees for checking or savings accounts. Automatic overdraft protection for free (draws from your linked savings account if you checking account is overdrawn). The best thing? I earn interest on my savings and checking account balances. Most interest bearing checking accounts require a minimum balance of $500 of $1k, but no minimum balance, interest bearing is just automatic. I've got to say that I am EXTREMELY satisfied with my credit union. BTW, they do have branches in larger cities throughout southern IN so if you're a college student in a larger city check out Crane Federal Credit Union. I think there are branches in Plainfield, Bloomington, and Terre Haute (additional smaller towns local to the area).

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    It definitely is NOT a federal mandated charge... they are trying to recoup losses from fee caps place by the federal government and are creating new ways to penalize everyone; not just ones irresponsible with their money.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I could walk in to my local bank and deposit or withdraw $20k with no questions asked and no id shown. I'd never be able to rob it though as every single teller in there knows exactly who I am.

sclark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hey, you should check out Diamond Valley Federal Credit Union, pretty sure they don't have any atm usage fees. There are only 3 branches though, Vogel, Diamond Ave and University DR. It really is a good bank, been with for about 7 years now and I have never had a problem with them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I could walk in to my local bank and deposit or withdraw $20k with no questions asked and no id shown. I'd never be able to rob it though as every single teller in there knows exactly who I am.

This is what I enjoyed about Old National, or Charter as it was once known.

Everyone knew me, and it was very friendly, not like at M&I, or other banks I've been with.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well, I may be done with ONB as well.

I just checked our statements knowing that we have 1 Free Checking account, and there was the same message about becoming 'essential checking' with a fee structure.

What I was not at all happy about was when I checked my personal checking account, which is 'bank at work' checking for those with direct deposit. Same freaking fee structure. So Im going to talk with my credit union and ask them about a checking account since I dont have one with them at this time.

thanks for the heads up. Reps to the OP.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Most credit unions are a no go. I like the convenience of lots of ATM locations. they either need to have no atm fees or in the case of ETFCU allow unlimited atm visits for free. ETFCU only allows 10

I believe all credit union partner for ATMs. I am with Forum and Indiana Members. (Although Indiana Members told me they wouldn't charge for online bill pay and then started charging. So the test account I opened that they gave me $75 for started emptying. I will be closing it.)

I can get money out of any other Credit Union with no charge. I can also deposit in any credit union. I don't know how far it reaches, but I know we got money with no fee in Utah.

We found that Indiana Members gets the money into my Forum account faster than depositing at Forum. So you can use that to your advantage at times as well.

But then I hit an ATM maybe 3 times a month, max. I just get out $200 and that lasts me the month usually.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    so I sent them an e-mail about this last night and here is what they said(this is MY e-mail I own it blah blah blah)

Good morning, Tyler.

Your concerns about the account changes have been forwarded to my attention due to your account being tied to the branch I manage. Currently, you are in our advantage account, so you will not have any minimum balance requirements on your account. In addition, we have now added a cash back program to our advantage program which you can sign up for through the advantage site.

I do want to add that while you will not have the minimum balance requirements, we are creating the minimum balance requirements on some of our accounts. Government regulations that went into action this week have completely changed the banking industry. Many banks are eliminating there base free checking products and most if not all of the rest are strongly considering changes in the near future. I have two relatives at other banks and several friends in the banking industry all have told me their banks will be taking similar action or are seriously considering it.

Again, I do want to emphasize that since you have Advantage Checking you will not have a minimum balance requirement.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns or questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

still pretty weak IMO.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    so I sent them an e-mail about this last night and here is what they said(this is MY e-mail I own it blah blah blah)

Good morning, Tyler.

Your concerns about the account changes have been forwarded to my attention due to your account being tied to the branch I manage. Currently, you are in our advantage account, so you will not have any minimum balance requirements on your account. In addition, we have now added a cash back program to our advantage program which you can sign up for through the advantage site.

I do want to add that while you will not have the minimum balance requirements, we are creating the minimum balance requirements on some of our accounts. Government regulations that went into action this week have completely changed the banking industry. Many banks are eliminating there base free checking products and most if not all of the rest are strongly considering changes in the near future. I have two relatives at other banks and several friends in the banking industry all have told me their banks will be taking similar action or are seriously considering it.

Again, I do want to emphasize that since you have Advantage Checking you will not have a minimum balance requirement.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns or questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

still pretty weak IMO.

this is sad, if i didnt have to pay rent my rent with a check or face a $12 fee for using plastic, or have to have direct deposit, or have to have some sort of account in general i would keep my cash buried in the back yard

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    You guys are completely nuts if you are paying a bank merely to access and use your money. If a company is stating the fees are in relation to new laws; they are lying. The law does NOT require fees to be charged from the bank... however, banks are charging to recoup expected losses for caps on overdraft fees, nsf fees, and others. Ditch'em!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Have you had issues with them?

I've had horrible experiences.

They mailed my checks to an unknown address, Cashier attempted to give me lip service and not do her freaking job. The Bankers there have been lousy.

oh, and I had some dumb rent-a-cop accuse me of robbing the bank, later had Cops show up at my home, and violate many rights because of that rent-a-cop.

Nothing but grade F experiences with 5/3.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Thanks for the feedback guys. My experiences with them have started to go downhill. I caught them trying to charge me $5 for a money order a few weeks ago when it is supposed to be free, then they lied about it. I demanded they give me cash, and I told them that I am going to drive 2 minutes down the road to get a money order for 49 cents. The look on their faces was priceless.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    This is straight off of my bank statement

Im in college so the only time I have $500 in there is before my bills are paid. So i am currently looking for a new bank ASAP and old National will be hearing why I am leaving. I imagine that most people will be unhappy with this. Bye Bye ONB

I just heard from my son who is at Ball State after he found out about ONB's tiered minimum balance charges. I checked their website and they do have a student checking account with NO minimum balance. Funny they didn't tell my son about that one. Only requirement is you have to show that you are a student each yr. He's going to look into it tomorrow.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Check out a credit union, ALL/EVERY bank(s) will be charging fees like that soon!

BLAME IT ON OBAMA and CONGRESS!!!

They passed all sorts of new regulations, the reality is that WE are paying the fees that OBAMA/CONGRESS imposed. There are also all sorts of new regulations and fees on loans to businesses. Fees are imposed on business checking accounts as well as personal checking accounts. There are also dozens of new regulations on home mortgages and fees associated with those too.

Remember too look at your bank statement every time you hear someone from Washington tell you how much they helped 'the middle class' with new protections!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Top Bottom