• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntsville

Marksman
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I have this old muzzle loader that my brother-in-law gave me. It was his uncles. He doesn't know anything about it and neither do I. All I have are these photos I took.

I think it looks really cool. I would love to know more about it. I can't find anything about it. There are some distinguishing markings on it such as the "LONDON" on the top of the barrel.

If there is any value to this gun, I would like to know so I can compensate my brother-in-law properly.
    right-action.jpg
    top.jpg
    left-action.jpg
    left-long.jpg
    london.jpg
    mark.jpg
    moon.jpg

Slab

Expert
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    It looks pretty cool. it is missing the nipple that a cap would go on in the space under the hammer.
    It looks more like a shotgun. have you flashed a light in the barrel to see if its rifled?

Flintlock

Expert
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Could you get me a closer/larger picture of the lock? It looks like it may have been converted from flintlock to percussion, but I can't be sure from these pictures. I can provide you a little information on it, but check out the link in my signature and visit the forum there. You'll be able to find out everything you need to know about muzzleloaders from the guys at the Traditional Muzzleloading Association.

Flintlock

Expert
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Yes sir, that's probably a pretty old gun there. It was originally a flintlock. You can see where someone filled in the frizzen scew hole and the frizzen spring hole is still there. Not really worth anything because of its condition, but it's still an interesting piece. :D

In my opinion, it looks to be a later flintlock period English shotgun. My guess would be 1820'sish. Maybe a little later. Maybe a little earlier. But then again, I'm not an expert. Just my opinion based on the styling. I could be way off. Best idea would be to visit the forum in my signature and ask them. Some of those guys are a lot more knowledgeable about styling and time periods than me.

Top Bottom