• ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Yeah, let me explain otherwise this will be a FUN thread :):

My dad does not like the weight of the 5906 (he uses a poop holster so what do you expect?) and he is wanting to find something new. Long story short he does not want a compact gun, he wants it in 9mm, magazines cannot cost more than $25 a pop, and the gun cannot cost more than an arm or leg ($550ish I'd say). He was looking at the 3913 at BGF but mags are $34 online.

So far he likes the look of the Glock 17/19 and the Beretta 92FS. I did advise that if weight was an issue he might not want the Beretta but it is his call. So INGO, what gun (under the parameters set) would be something he may want to look at?

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Other than the Glocks you mentioned, maybe Kahr P9. It only gives up .5" of barrel length and is half the weight compared to the 5906. Its right at his price point, and is a 9mm. CheaperThanDirt sells Pro-mags for $15.

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    stoeger makes a 9mm called a cougar it is almost identical to the 92 but its manufactured in turkey so its much cheaper.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I own both. I carry my 92, my wife carries G19. The g19 is better for concealment/OC variability and a little lighter to boot. I personally prefer the 92, but that's just personal taste no real reason to it.

Glock mags $21ea....beretta GI mags $8ea.....let him try both and decide for himself...I think the 92 will weigh more than the 5906 though, but I"m not positive

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    9mm commander RIA 1911?!? I know they put out the full sized but not sure about commander...or mag prices?

interesting situation/question here

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Are people purposely setting up threads recently for the "just get the Glock" answer?

So, he likes the 3913, but won't go $9 "over budget" per mag? How many mags are we talking about him getting?

Have him put his hands on something in the M&P line too. Depending on how much cost is an issue, take a gander at the S&W SD9 VE.

My official position, however, is: just get the Glock.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If he liked the 5906 except for the weight, try a 6906. Alloy frame, stainless slide, much lighter. Technically a compact but not tiny. Also he can use his existing 5906 mags for the range, etc. Mags are not super cheap but if you look you can find them for around $25/each.

CDNN has very good to excellent 6906s in their most recent catalogue for $369.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If he liked the 5906 except for the weight, try a 6906. Alloy frame, stainless slide, much lighter. Technically a compact but not tiny. Also he can use his existing 5906 mags for the range, etc. Mags are not super cheap but if you look you can find them for around $25/each.

CDNN has very good to excellent 6906s in their most recent catalogue for $369.

I told him this since I'm a 3rd Gen buff.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As goes the need for a quality handgun, so goes the need for a quality magazine.

Please ask your Dad to not cheapen the value of his life or the life of those whom he protects.

A quality fireare will last many lifetimes. A quality magazine can also last many lifetimes. So an addition hundred or two for the firearm and another fifteen or so for the magazine will likely be forgotted by this time next year.

If your Dad can't afford it, then chip in and cover the additional money. If you have siblings, get them to help out also. Your Dad loves you, so please love your Dad.

I wish I had my Dad to help.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    How about a Sig 226. 4.4" barrel. Mec-Gar flush-fitting mags can be had for $23.95 all day long. Shorter then the Beretta 92 and Glock 17(4.49") by a tad. Not as concealable as the Glock 19, but overall a fantastic gun.

lumahuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    As far as the 92 goes, they aren't nearly as heavy as a 5906, because those things are damn heavy. Has he thought about any of the other older S&W 9's out there? Many can be had for a really decent price. Heck my dad got himself a cherry 39-2 a couple months back for less that $400, and he got some used mags at gun shows and ebay for around $10 a pop. Hell, I just got 3 Beretta 96 mags on ebay for $5 plus shipping. Just my 2 cents.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    As far as the 92 goes, they aren't nearly as heavy as a 5906, because those things are damn heavy. Has he thought about any of the other older S&W 9's out there? Many can be had for a really decent price. Heck my dad got himself a cherry 39-2 a couple months back for less that $400, and he got some used mags at gun shows and ebay for around $10 a pop. Hell, I just got 3 Beretta 96 mags on ebay for $5 plus shipping. Just my 2 cents.

S&W 5906 weighs 38.3 ounces, while the Beretta 92 comes in at 34 ounces. I wouldn't say a 5906 is heavy at all. If 4 ounces is a huge difference, then I would hit the weights:):

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Far be it for me to not go along with the crowd of buying a new gun but has he considered a decent belt and holster? Probably cheaper by a whole bunch and he gets to keep what he likes and hopefully shoots well. Or just keep putting different guns in bad holsters.:dunno:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Far be it for me to not go along with the crowd of buying a new gun but has he considered a decent belt and holster? Probably cheaper by a whole bunch and he gets to keep what he likes and hopefully shoots well. Or just keep putting different guns in bad holsters.:dunno:

Ditto on the good belt and holster! Makes all the difference in the world. Also, if he goes with a 92FS, stick with stock Beretta mags. You can't go wrong with those. :twocents:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

He loves his Fobus and I can't talk him into an actual "gun belt" to keep the weight up.

Top Bottom