• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Or...........

...........you can just buy the part from Volquartzen. It's an easy modification to do yourself but I've always been careful to not take out too much material. So you remove material then try the part. If it doesn't work you remove more material and try it again. Disassemble, reassemble. Disassemble, reassemble. The surface from which you are removing metal needs to be slightly concave.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    ...........you can just buy the part from Volquartzen. It's an easy modification to do yourself but I've always been careful to not take out too much material. So you remove material then try the part. If it doesn't work you remove more material and try it again. Disassemble, reassemble. Disassemble, reassemble. The surface from which you are removing metal needs to be slightly concave.

I can teach anyone how to use the stock bolt release with one hand in under 5 minutes, including practice. Using the factory release adds a few benifits as well. The auto bolt release will allow the bolt to go forward with a bump to the stock. It will also allow the bolt to go forward if you bump it with the chamber flag, which ties up the chamber flag with the bolt then requiring two hand to clear the flag.

I've never had a problem after teaching dozens how to use it at Appleseeds. It's not a poor design, it's just poorly documented in the manual (which no one ever reads anyway :) )

YHJ

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    I can teach anyone how to use the stock bolt release with one hand in under 5 minutes, including practice. Using the factory release adds a few benifits as well. The auto bolt release will allow the bolt to go forward with a bump to the stock. It will also allow the bolt to go forward if you bump it with the chamber flag, which ties up the chamber flag with the bolt then requiring two hand to clear the flag.

I've never had a problem after teaching dozens how to use it at Appleseeds. It's not a poor design, it's just poorly documented in the manual (which no one ever reads anyway :) )

YHJ

What he said! ++1 :cool:

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    If you choose to use a scope, get the lowest mounts that work, the closer your scope's objective bell is to the barrel the better. High mounts and "see-through" mounts will make you work much harder to achieve a good cheek weld. Low power, less than 4X is best, a 2X is ideal.

DAve

What makes a 2X better than a 4X? Is 4X too much magnification for 25 yards? I was planning on a 3-9X so I guess I'm right in the middle. I would love to try open sights but I am afraid my over the hill eyes can't do it. :(

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    What makes a 2X better than a 4X? Is 4X too much magnification for 25 yards? I was planning on a 3-9X so I guess I'm right in the middle. I would love to try open sights but I am afraid my over the hill eyes can't do it. :(

3-9x is just fine. The higher in power you go, the more likely you are to fuss your shots and then not actually call them, as you'll be tempted to focus on the target instead of the reticle. Keep that thing dialed down to 3x, and you'll be just fine. :rockwoot:

I guess that i would ask what you wish to get out of this Appleseed?

We have had people use a bolt action rifle, left handed (try to picture operating a bolt across the rifle). We have also had people who only have single shot bolt actions go through a weekend and learn everything that a guy who has a $2000 customized rifle. That being said, a single shot bolt action will put a severe limitation on your ability to achieve rifleman (from a time aspect only), but you will still learn and practice everything you need to know to be a rifleman.

If your goal is to be a rifleman this Appleseed, then there are a few things that can assist with that goal. However, no amount of accessories or upgrades can overcome poor application of the techniques we teach.

If your goal is to be a rifleman, here are a couple of things that can assist in that endeavor.
    1 - know your rifle! Know how to operate it safely, take it to the range and shoot it, try to zero your sights or scope before you get to a seed, but if you cant, or don't know how. We can help at the seed.
    2 - have several spare magazines that work and are clean. If you have a magazine malfunction in some of the timed portions of the rifleman's test, the AQT, you can blow your score very quickly
    3 - If you can, make sure you have a good set of sights, or scope. Battle-rifle type sights with windage and elevation adjustments are a plus. Tech-Sights are widely used.
    4 - Get a sling and get it mounted on swivels on your rifle. We recommend an m1 style sling, but anything can be used in a pinch.
    5 - There are several Ruger 10/22 mods that have been found to aid in the operation of that rifle. These are optional, as stock 10/22 have been repeatedly used to score rifleman. These are extended magazine release, bolt release modification, competition replacement hammer, bolt buffer, ruger OEM 10 round magazines (i prefer clear so i can see how many rounds have been loaded)
    6 - other rifles have their own mods, but I have 10/22's so that is what i know.

Good luck!

Top Bottom