Ok guys, teach your kids to check and change their oil.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Buying a QuickJack for my garage cost almost $1K but has paid for itself many times now doing brakes, clutches and oil changes myself. It's the 12VDC version so if needed I could take it in the truck and do remote work. Just use jumper cables to power it off the battery and it raises the car more than 20" in a few seconds.

I get the 12qt boxes of oil from Wallyworld (the only thing I go there for).

The 'Vette takes 6qts+ of Mobil 1 which makes my oil & filter changes cost about $35 total ($60 for 12qts + a $7 WIX oil filter).

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My diesel takes 15 quarts. I bought 6- 5 gallon pails of Delo a few years ago for $50 each. Just used my last one. Getting bummed.
    Doing work at a Tractor Supply Dist building I was given quite a few Syn Rotella 15-40 big jugs. I had the sad's like you when it was gone.
    I have a friend that works on rolling stock there, he burns new oil in his used oil furnace at his home shop.

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    After draining oil in any of the equipment that has a motor on the farm, I put an equivalent amount of diesel fuel back in the engine and run it for a minute or so, drain and fill with fresh oil. Have done it so many years I can't remember why I started it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Great way to save money, get some rhino ramps, wheel chocks, oil drain pan and an oil filter wrench, one youtube video and you can do it yourself in under 10 minutes

10 minutes you say?
    Well... I did the 4 Runner this afternoon (just under 5000 mi 0/20 synthetic if anyone is curious...)

You have to remove the front engine/radiator skid plate and other hardware and panels to get to the filter cartridge (not a spin on).

The oil drain plug is located under the 2nd skid plate that runs under the engine and trans.
    That one has an access plate that you can pull off with 2 bolts to get at the plug.

Why they didn't put an access plate like that in the front skid plate under the filter is still a HUGE freaking mystery to me to this day.
    4 plastic push pins for an forced air duct, 5 bolts for the middle fill panel from the bumper to the front skid plate
    and finally 4 bolts to remove the front skid plate.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    10 minutes you say?
    Well... I did the 4 Runner this afternoon (just under 5000 mi 0/20 synthetic if anyone is curious...)

You have to remove the front engine/radiator skid plate and other hardware and panels to get to the filter cartridge (not a spin on).

The oil drain plug is located under the 2nd skid plate that runs under the engine and trans.
    That one has an access plate that you can pull off with 2 bolts to get at the plug.

Why they didn't put an access plate like that in the front skid plate under the filter is still a HUGE freaking mystery to me to this day.
    4 plastic push pins for an forced air duct, 5 bolts for the middle fill panel from the bumper to the front skid plate

Hope you didn't get oil in your chesthair.

Hey, you bought a Toyota.......who you wanna blame here?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Great way to save money, get some rhino ramps, wheel chocks, oil drain pan and an oil filter wrench, one youtube video and you can do it yourself in under 10 minutes
    You don’t even need all that stuff. Just get a fluid extractor and then you don’t have to mess with the drain plug or raising the car up. This is, assuming you can reach the filter. The filter on my Town & Country is on top so using an extractor makes the job a breeze. A box of Costco brand synthetic oil is about 35 bucks for 10 quarts.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You don’t even need all that stuff. Just get a fluid extractor and then you don’t have to mess with the drain plug or raising the car up.
    So, you're saying you don't want to get all the oil and contaminants out? I had to use an oil extractor on my boats, never could do a "full" oil change.
    10 minutes you say?

Cuz it's a Toyota! That's almost as bad as my Ram which has the oil filter over the steering gear (so the oil gets on everything). The only plus is it's air suspension so two clicks of the button and the truck raises up enough I can slide right under it.

On my old '16 F150 with the 2.7, it was a legit 10 minute or less oil change.

Plastic, quarter turn drain plug and a top mounted cartridge filter. No drips, no mess.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    10 minutes you say?

I agree with you about blocking service areas with plastic panels that are held in with disposable fasteners. I have an older car that blocks the Radiator drain cock. That was bad enough when access is needed every other year. They should have designed better accessibility, at least for oil changes.

When looking at newer cars for the Mrs, I was surprised at how many cars have gone back to the loose element in a reusable filter housing design. I thought we saw the last of them in 1964. It appears the Toyota is a multiple step assembly and it is all plastic parts. Some cars have all the stuff on top, making it easy to spill oil over the top of the engine, also using plastic housings to match the plastic oil pans with the easily damaged Mickey mouse drain plugs. Since quick oil change places have messed up when we used simple spin on filters on the bottom of the engine, just think of the failure opportunities on a new car.

I have clearly lived too long.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    So, you're saying you don't want to get all the oil and contaminants out? I had to use an oil extractor on my boats, never could do a "full" oil change.
    I have been using a oil extractor for a few years now and when I started using it I extracted the oil and then removed the oil drain plug and so far on everything I have used it on nothing has come out of the sump with drain plug removed. It gets everything out of the sump that a drain plug removal does and maybe more.
    I use on the mower, golf cart, generator and power washer. Works on my cars and trucks also.
    I have heard a few high end auto manufactures don't even have drain plugs on their vehicles anymore and require a extractor to do oil changes.
    Don't know anything about using on a boat as motor angle and the way a boat sits on the trailer and the sump design all play into how much oil you can get out with the extractor?

Top Bottom