Ok guys, teach your kids to check and change their oil.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    They do not have to physically change it, but make sure they take their car into the shop to have it changed. Yes, I am not a fan of quick lubes, but having it changed is better than not. (Maybe)

BTW I do not work on vehicles professionally, but tinker a lot.

Working on a girl's car because the brakes were not working. 2018 Chevy Equinox 88,000 miles. I did not get in the car. First I checked brake fluid level. Then I checked oil level... (you would think why?? but a habit for me when someone brings me a car.) Oil level was at the very bottom of the stick. A good 2" low on stick. Filthy dirty and crusty. Ugh.

I drive car, brakes are fine, but no power boost. So you had to put about 100 pounds of pressure on pedal to get it to stop well. I check vacuum line on booster, no vacuum. ?? Trace back to intake. Do some head scratching. GM now is using a vacuum pump on the back of the camshaft to generate vacuum for the power boost for the brake system. Guess what lubes the pump?? Motor oil. Open up pump and impeller is broke in half and very crusty from dirty oil. Go figure.

I go to change oil... I remove drain plug and get ready for the whish of oil that pours down your hand. Ehh nothing. I pause for a few seconds and Glug some snotty oil comes out, stops and starts again. 88k on engine. I let it sit and drain/drip for a couple hours. Take off oil filter and see this.... It didn't even drip.
    oil filter.jpg
    It should drive for a few days and get another oil change. Like that will happen.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They do not have to physically change it, but make sure they take their car into the shop to have it changed. Yes, I am not a fan of quick lubes, but having it changed is better than not. (Maybe)

Working on a girl's car because the brakes were not working. 2018 Chevy Equinox 88,000 miles. I did not get in the car. First I checked brake fluid level. Then I checked oil level... (you would think why?? but a habit for me when someone brings me a car.) Oil level was at the very bottom of the stick. A good 2" low on stick. Filthy dirty and crusty. Ugh.

I drive car, brakes are fine, but no power boost. So you had to put about 100 pounds of pressure on pedal to get it to stop well. I check vacuum line on booster, no vacuum. ?? Trace back to intake. Do some head scratching. GM now is using a vacuum pump on the back of the camshaft to generate vacuum for the power boost for the brake system. Guess what lubes the pump?? Motor oil. Open up pump and impeller is broke in half and very crusty from dirty oil. Go figure.

I go to change oil... I remove drain plug and get ready for the whish of oil that pours down your hand. Ehh nothing. I pause for a few seconds and Glug some snotty oil comes out, stops and starts again. 88k on engine. I let it sit and drain/drip for a couple hours. Take off oil filter and see this.... It didn't even drip.
    View attachment 379975
    It should drive for a few days and get another oil change. Like that will happen.
    I would dump some Marvel Mystery Oil in it to break down the sludge a few days before the next oil change.
    Im shocked it hasn't dumped a timing chain yet.
    Any codes in it?

We are an Amsoil family, except the vintage motorcycles.
    Everything gets oil changes at 3,000 or less.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

View attachment 379975
    Oh man, I may need to reevaluate my oil change schedule. If I knew that you could just stretch it out a little longer, it would keep the filter oil from running down your arm because some engineer decided that the best place for the filter is at an angle so that the oil immediately starts running out when you change it, I would've done that years ago!

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Any codes in it?

We are an Amsoil family, except the vintage motorcycles.
    Everything gets oil changes at 3,000 or less.
    Check engine light on... Probably no money to fix it, so not even interested in scanning it.

Fan of Amsoil myself. Good stuff. I just don't seem to use it much. I guess convenience purchases I guess.

BTW 5-7k miles once a year good. Manufacturers usually recommend 7500. I pushed my diesel truck once to maybe 8k. Sent it off to Cat to have it tested. They said fine keep running it. I already had it changed. (but would have changed it anyway.)

Not sure, but thinking it had 14k on the oil. The lube place sticker on dash read 74k. Is that the next change?? Or when it was changed??

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wouldn't hurt (now) to throw something like this at it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STP-Supe...MIoOX92o3BiAMVtzUIBR2HniXjEAQYAiABEgJpq_D_BwE

8d324b29-d84c-4844-8e32-5465b855a905.676d9ce575f39dc0709511d58c924df6.jpeg

Damage is done, but might help other areas etc.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I remember there used to be a motor flush in a yellow can. The quart ones, like when oil came in cans.

I will tell her Dad, but he is not very mechanical. I will just tell him to keep an eye on her to check the oil and having it changed on time.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Check engine light on... Probably no money to fix it, so not even interested in scanning it.

Fan of Amsoil myself. Good stuff. I just don't seem to use it much. I guess convenience purchases I guess.

BTW 5-7k miles once a year good. Manufacturers usually recommend 7500. I pushed my diesel truck once to maybe 8k. Sent it off to Cat to have it tested. They said fine keep running it. I already had it changed. (but would have changed it anyway.)

Not sure, but thinking it had 14k on the oil. The lube place sticker on dash read 74k. Is that the next change?? Or when it was changed??
    IDK :dunno:
    I use a sharpie on the upper left corner of the windshield the mileage of when it was changed. Its easy to see, the boys cars are at 40% or so when it gets changed. Even my International 7.3 gets new oil at each 3,000 miles.
    Religious oil changes are cheap insurance.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Check oil in a coworkers truck. The dipstick came out looking looking like a #2 pencil. I drained the oil (about three quarts), changed the filter and put in five quarts of tranny fluid. Ran it about ten minutes and drained everything. Had to unplug the pan drain with a screwdriver. Changed the oil again a week later. Looked really bad. The engine was ticking but still running good. Those Ford straight sixes were bullet proof.

BR8818

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    My 33yr brother doesn't check or change his oil. I rebuilt his engine about 6yrs ago because of it, then he grenaded it in 21'. So I put a new crate engine in it. He still hasn't learned his lesson the oil has been changed once since then and it's made two trips to Seattle.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I remember there used to be a motor flush in a yellow can. The quart ones, like when oil came in cans.

I will tell her Dad, but he is not very mechanical. I will just tell him to keep an eye on her to check the oil and having it changed on time.
    I think it was called rislone. I was a mechanic in the 80’s and 90’s and that is what I used to flush out a engine. I have also used a quart of transmission fluid in with the oil to flush an engine before changing the oil.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have also used a quart of transmission fluid in with the oil to flush an engine before changing the oil.
    One of the problems with using things like Trans fluid is, the heavies fall to the bottom in your transmission pan and not in suspension like oil to be captured by a filter.
    With using trans fluid the heavies and sludge get broken loose and drop into the pan and easily clog up the oil pickup screen.
    With an engine like this, it can easily cause more problems then it can cure.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    One of the problems with using things like Trans fluid is, the heavies fall to the bottom in your transmission pan and not in suspension like oil to be captured by a filter.
    With using trans fluid the heavies and sludge get broken loose and drop into the pan and easily clog up the oil pickup screen.
    With an engine like this, it can easily cause more problems then it can cure.
    You are correct but I think the engine the OP is working on plugging up a oil pick up screen is the least of his worries

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Lube places and dealerships put stickers with the next recommended change, so it was probably changed at 69-71k. That's a lotta miles on that sludge.

Top Bottom