• ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ohio has great cities? Really? Where?

I'm guessing he is just jealous. Indiana may not be some sort of artsy, cultural mecca (thank god), .

Ahhh, an ignorance of history of our own state!

In the early 1900s, Indiana WAS one of the artistic and cultural centers of the US. Many great artists, poets, actors, and authors were from and in Indiana.

Places like NYC and SF just developed better marketing campaigns.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    What a ridiculous article... let's face it. California is full of ****ing awesome places to visit... but I'm not leaving Indiana to move there ;) I'll be the first to say, that I think Indiana is pretty boring in comparison to some places I've lived, but the older I get the more I appreciate the people here....

Hoosiers have created a great place to live... even if there is only corn. The laws are great... the freedom is great... the simple things are great... and the people are great. I guess there is no place like home

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ahhh, an ignorance of history of our own state!

In the early 1900s, Indiana WAS one of the artistic and cultural centers of the US. Many great artists, poets, actors, and authors were from and in Indiana.

Places like NYC and SF just developed better marketing campaigns.

I guess I'm a tad younger than you!

Seriously, though, we actually have a decent artistic/cultural vibe. All depends on what type of art or culture you appreciate.

Many of my "coasty" friends tease me about living in "boring" Indiana. I remind them that there is as much to do around here as anywhere, and the only "boring" things are the lack of natural disasters and crappy politics.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And this is one of the people that will decide on handgun reciprocity that we are trying to curry favor with by changing our requirements?

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Ohio does have Wright Pat airbase where they keep the alien bodies. But if Ohio isn't to your liking one can always head to our neighbor to the West. Wait, to the West. Uh, never mind.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He's just upset that Orville and Wilbur's bicycle shop is in Michigan, the Cincinnati airport is in Kentucky, Youngstown Sheet and Tube is nowhere and Indiana still has a manufacturing base.

He can keep his Ohio cities, I'll take my Indiana countryside any day.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Yea, but we DO have a GARY....
    Indiana got $3.8 Billion for selling the Indiana toll road to private corporations. How much do you think we could get for selling Gary?

I say they should consider any offers over 30 bucks.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Indiana got $3.8 Billion for selling the Indiana toll road to private corporations. How much do you think we could get for selling Gary?

Perhaps we could give Gary to Chicago, in exchange for downstate Illinois. A fair trade I think.
    Ohio has great cities? Really? Where?
    Cleveland? Youngstown?

Boating on the Cuyahoga River.

:laugh:

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    Indiana and Ohio are both trying to get companies from Komifornia and other business hostile states to come to the Mid-west. He's just a blow hard trying to establish dominance in the market for companies looking for a place to relocate. It's a little dirty, but it works sometimes.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

$30 is a little high, dont you think? The only thing that Garry adds to the state is violent crime and crackpot politicians. I think a symbolic crisp $1 bill would be sufficient. Personally if I was Governor Pence, I would consider a button, some string, and a ball of pocket lint as a serious offer.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I somewhat get his point. Ohio does have us beat in terms of larger metro areas. But, I hear Cleveland isn't anything to be proud of. Columbus I hear is identical to Indianapolis for the most part, but instead of one massive urban university, Indy has a decent sized urban university and three smaller ones. Cincinnati is nice enough, but the only reason they have the destination places like Bass Pro Shop and IKEA is because those places rely on people wanting to drive. The Chicago metro area will always get places like this, so if one wants to open another store, it really doesn't matter the location, so long that it is centrally located to draw from the metro areas that are under served by current locations. A Cincinnati location helps draw in from Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, Indy, and Dayton areas.

Even with the few benefits Ohio has, I don't really see the massive draw of having two nice large metro areas and one that people seem to speak as if the entire town should be avoided (Cleveland). If people in Indiana really need a lot of different stuff to spend their money on that bad, they can get in their cars and drive to Louisville, Chicago, St. Louis, and unless this guy is going to build a border fence, even into Ohio to visit Cincinnati and Columbus. What we should come up with is something like "Yes, after Indy we don't have any big metro areas in our state. However, by living in Indy, I am awarded freedoms I can't have in the entire state Ohio, or certain municipalities. Of course this doesn't mean I can't drive to visit those places are time or two if need be. Indiana: A great place to live and work; Ohio: A great place to just visit a time or two."

Top Bottom