• ...and so much more!
  • Mac0125

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 16, 2020
    Tampa
    Rural king in Frankfort is the same way, across from the school, but not sure if all RK’s are that way, didn’t think so.
    RK in Lafayette doesn’t do that. Even though Jefferson HS is across the street and school property tennis courts are directly on the back side of the building. Not sure what causes the difference.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Like LtScott put it. It's a rule not a law. It's up to the property owner to enforce their own rule by asking you to leave. Then if you refuse and only then can it become a matter of law if you are trespassed.
    Yep; getting trespassed is a thing, and it has nothing, per se, to do with possessing a firearm. Private property owner asks you to leave, you leave.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    RK in Lafayette doesn’t do that. Even though Jefferson HS is across the street and school property tennis courts are directly on the back side of the building. Not sure what causes the difference.

Correct, like a said it is a suicide prevention thing.

"The law" is often used as a cover story for business decisions which have nothing to do with the law.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    The gun show in Columbus is held in a building at the fairgrounds which is across the street from an elementary school, not sure on the distance but I would venture to guess it's less than 1000 feet.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    A few years ago, I went into a shooting range at a local Bass Pro shop. At the front door, they checked my range guns to see that they were unloaded, and then put a lock on them, to be opened inside the range (which was upstairs inside the store.) I found it particularly amusing since I was also legally carrying with a license as well. I wasn't shooting my EDC that day, so my range guns were nicely locked up for the walk through the store, while my EDC was in a holster on my person, loaded, as normal.

And to the OP, as mentioned above:
    1. The Gun Free School Zones Act specifically exempts license holders and also does not apply to private property. See 18 USC Sec 922 (B)(i) and (B)(ii). For "not private property", it becomes probably illegal for those carrying under Constitutional Carry and without a license, but I am not directly aware of any prosecutions under that statute for those who were fully otherwise legal (e.g. not a prohibited person or doing other illegal things). But IMO another (of the many) good reasons to get a LTCH even in a Constitutional Carry state.
    2. The signs don't have any "force of law" in Indiana.

Oh, and IANAL
    Thank you for the information, I will be attending Guy Relfords class here in a couple weeks. I am sure that he will touch on this subject.

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    RK in Greenwood does not do it but the one in Martinsville does. I was told by their manager it is a requirement by the ATF to get/ keep their license to sell guns. Most who by guns there purchase the cheap gun case, take it to the car and return the case for a refund.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    RK in Greenwood does not do it but the one in Martinsville does. I was told by their manager it is a requirement by the ATF to get/ keep their license to sell guns. Most who by guns there purchase the cheap gun case, take it to the car and return the case for a refund.

My understanding is that RK is clueless about what the ATF requires or doesn't require and just makes :poop: up. As I said upthread, when my ex-wife worked there, she was told she couldn't answer basic questions about anything on the 4473 because it's against ATF regulations or something like that. Obviously untrue. You can't tell them what to answer, but you can certainly explain what the questions are asking for. Places like that make my teeth ache.

farmdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    I’m pretty sure the barbershop across the street from the school has a sign inside that encourages carrying.
    I have not seen very many signs dissuading carry in Crawfordsville. Are there others that you know of?

john1958

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Gen. Lew Wallace Hometown
    I've always gone in there armed, all 2 times I forced myself to go in there. Their corporate rules suck and most of their weekly sales are on low value firearms. The shop on East 136 is WAY better!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As I stated upthread, I'm pretty sure an INGO member was told to do just that. Buy the case and then just bring it back for the refund.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    I’m pretty sure that they changed the law about firearms on school property and allow them to be on a person or in a car that is picking up or dropping off a student. If they legalized that why would they require a locked case on an adjacent property?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I’m pretty sure that they changed the law about firearms on school property and allow them to be on a person or in a car that is picking up or dropping off a student. If they legalized that why would they require a locked case on an adjacent property?
    State vs federal law. Federal law requires a license issued by the state the school is in, if you don't have one it's required to be locked up/unloaded with a few exceptions if you're within 1000ft of school property.

State law allows firearms in a vehicle if you're legal to possess them. It also allows a firearm in the vehicle regardless if you're dropping off or picking up a student. So going to a game/show/etc on school property you can have it in your vehicle, if you leave the vehicle it has to be out of sight and the vehicle must be locked. Or I believe in a locked glove box/trunk.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    State vs federal law. Federal law requires a license issued by the state the school is in, if you don't have one it's required to be locked up/unloaded with a few exceptions if you're within 1000ft of school property.

State law allows firearms in a vehicle if you're legal to possess them. It also allows a firearm in the vehicle regardless if you're dropping off or picking up a student. So going to a game/show/etc on school property you can have it in your vehicle, if you leave the vehicle it has to be out of sight and the vehicle must be locked. Or I believe in a locked glove box/trunk.
    I learned something. I didn’t think you could leave it unattended in your car on school property whether locked up in a glove box or not. Thanks.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I learned something. I didn’t think you could leave it unattended in your car on school property whether locked up in a glove box or not. Thanks.
    Didn't used to be that way. Originally it was no guns on school property period, well originally they weren't prohibited at all but... Then it was if operating a vehicle and dropping off/picking up student, now it's in a vehicle, if you leave the vehicle it must be out of sight and locked up.

ETA Here is the relevant sections of code.
    IC 35-47-9-1Exemptions from chapter

Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:

(3) Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c), a person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle.
    (5) Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c), a person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses only a firearm that is:
    (i) locked in the trunk of the person's motor vehicle;
    (ii) kept in the glove compartment of the person's locked motor vehicle; or
    (iii) stored out of plain sight in the person's locked motor vehicle.

Subsections (b) and (c) refer to current students and former students who were expelled.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom