Oh, another thread about campus carry ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    See if you can find somebody that lives next to the univeristy to store a gun for you and you can have it when you go off campus. At least you will have one close. That is what I do now. I have to travel a LOT when I am not at school so I find that rather than leaving it at home, I at least have access to it when I need it, just have to go get it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    As a graduating senior, I have known a couple of people who have carried on campus. They had a few close calls that could have gotten them expelled an in one case a future career in the military ruined. I will never recommend it to anyone. You will not be arrested for it, but you may never finish your education.

My daily routine involves me strapping my EDC to my hip, driving to a parking lot off campus, storing it in a cheap Uncle Mikes holster in my car, and getting directly on the bus. When I am done with class, I go back to my car and put it back in my crossbreed which never leaves my hip. If I am on campus at night where the risks are higher I have a tactical knife always at the ready.

You need to weigh some big questions. On the one side, you can be armed to deal with a SHTF scenario in a classroom or on campus. On the other, the risk of printing at the wrong moment can change your entire future.

My suggestion is to do what I do. Limit your exposure where you can, maintain Situational Awareness at all times, and when you cannot limit your exposure, be armed in such a way that does not violate university policy. I have deemed it more important to finish my education and start my career not only for me but also for my wife.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    ... you're going to be in some deep trouble. Probably farther than just expulsion. I would almost bet that the school will without a doubt at least attempt to press some sort of legal charges.

The school is bound to the law too. Just because Indiana law doesn't prevent schools from creating anti-firearm policies, does not mean that those policies have any legal power.

If you're simply carrying with a LTHC (no NDs, threats, or any other tomfoolery involved), then there's not really anything they can do beyond expulsion.

The only legal consequence, could be a trespassing charge if you refuse to leave when asked.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Counsel me, elders.

Don't do it. Risk vs Reward. It is far more probable that someone will see it, you'll mention it on accident or a roommate will find it and out you than you actually needing it.

You got your whole life ahead of you, don't screw it up.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I'll let others debate the wisdom of carrying and just stick to the practical side.

I have carried a Keltec P-32 in my right front pocket since they came out about 15 years ago. No one, and I mean no one, has ever made the firearm. We had two secret service agents in our Sunday School class and neither one made it. We talked a lot about firearms and I know they would have said something in normal conversation if they had. I had it for several years in khaki style dress pants around my boss and he didn't know about it until I told him.

If you are wearing loose fitting cargo style plants with large pockets, and using a quality holster with a Keltec it will simply never be noticed. You have to learn to lead with your left side if someone is walking up to give you a hug, and to keep your hand down by the pocket to deflect others from bumping it sometimes but that soon becomes a habit.

Wearing it properly so it won't be noticed in four years is not the problem. There are other, legitimate concerns though.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    When I went to college a looong time ago in MO, we could check our guns in with the 'Dorm Mom'. We could get them from her & go shoot/hunt, but had to return them when done.
    I kept mine in the trunk of my car, until I moved off campus. I did have one in my book bag or on me a lot of the time, even though it was against the rules .... well, and law, too, at the time, come to think of it.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Unrelated, but does anyone know where I can find the IC that gives universities the ability to create their own regulations? Also any requirements that they must abide by would be nice.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    question

How old do you have to be to own and legally carry a handgun in Indiana?

I ask because the OP wrote that he will graduate high school in May, theoretically making him 18. I live in Wisconsin and it is 18 for long, 21 for hand.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    How old do you have to be to own and legally carry a handgun in Indiana?

I ask because the OP wrote that he will graduate high school in May, theoretically making him 18. I live in Wisconsin and it is 18 for long, 21 for hand.

Here it's 18. To purchase a handgun from an FFL dealer you must be 21.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    21 to purchase, but 18 to carry?

Correct. You can be issued a license to carry a handgun at the age of 18, just as I was. However, you cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer until 21 (I believe this has to do with federal law). If you are 18 or older, but still under 21 and have your LTCH, you can purchase a handgun from a private seller, or have one gifted to you in Indiana. It doesn't really make sense, but then again nothing else does either it seems.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    My daughter lives on campus she has her LTCH and exercises that right when she is at home. She decided that living in a dorm is like living in the open. She took a small lock box with her her first year and was asked by a dorm manager if there was a firearm in it and had to open it to prove that there was not a gun in it. As much as you may want to carry it just is not worth the risk. College is going to cost you some serious money and all it will take is one slip up and that is all gone and it could ruin your chances of going to another school. My daughter has learned that you just don't go alone and as mentioned earlier situation awareness is super important. Good luck with your studies but my advise is to leave the heat at home for now. If you move off campus and find like minded guys to room with then it may be different. I know 2 guys that go to a college and they both carry daily. They know that if they get caught they loose it all. I asked both of them if they had ever felt threatened both answered no so why risk it :dunno:

By they way welcome to INGO :welcome:

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Like many other laws, the 18 to have 21 to buy does not make sense.
    I always thought it was a bad idea to let someone drink and own a handgun legally on the same day was a bad idea, but few people listen to me. 18 to own is a much better idea.

Anyways, as far as carrying on campus, or firearms regulations in general, you do not want anything bad with firearms on your record. Legal record, school record, whatever. The current situation in this country with firearms is bad. There is a stigma surrounding them and anything that shows you broke a law or guideline regarding firearms is bad for your record. Getting into other schools, getting a good job, whatever. If someone looks at your record and sees that you carried where you should not have, or anything with a gun, they will probably pass you over for the job or admission.
    Not that i agree with it, but that is what i figure would happen.

Top Bottom