• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Shot my first 200 9mm loads today. Yay! Went almost exactly as expected. Zero signs of high pressure, which is every reloaders biggest fear I think at first. I started at 4.1gr and I had only one soft popper, which I kind of anticipated, since these were below minimum. Then I moved up to the 4.2gr (min) box and they shot consistently well. Then I went to 4.3gr and had no real problems, but it seemed accuracy improved.

Only one issue that I need to look into that might require working the load higher. My Glock 26 did not lock the slide back on the last round, ever. I'm betting its double recoil spring requires a bit more pressure. But it fed excellent and was extremely accurate (uh oh, I might become a Glock fan).

Oh, and I had one bullet that wouldn't feed due to the fact that I didn't seat it completely upright. My bad. Does this all sound par for the course? I feel like I done well, especially for having to use IMR, which was tedious to weigh out.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Congrats. It's a lot more rewarding than I thought it be. I loaded a few hundred last night myself. I never started below minimum but sounds about right. And you'll never stop learning either.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Shot my first 200 9mm loads today. Yay! Went almost exactly as expected. Zero signs of high pressure, which is every reloaders biggest fear I think at first. I started at 4.1gr and I had only one soft popper, which I kind of anticipated, since these were below minimum. Then I moved up to the 4.2gr (min) box and they shot consistently well. Then I went to 4.3gr and had no real problems, but it seemed accuracy improved.

Only one issue that I need to look into that might require working the load higher. My Glock 26 did not lock the slide back on the last round, ever. I'm betting its double recoil spring requires a bit more pressure. But it fed excellent and was extremely accurate (uh oh, I might become a Glock fan).

Oh, and I had one bullet that wouldn't feed due to the fact that I didn't seat it completely upright. My bad. Does this all sound par for the course? I feel like I done well, especially for having to use IMR, which was tedious to weigh out.

Firstly, WELCOME! I know some people think reloading is boring but I find it very relaxing and enjoyable.

All that you described is indeed "par for the course". You learn the most from the mistakes but there is a lot of satisfaction when you get to the range and the rounds perform exactly like you intended!

My biggest regret is not keeping better notes about what worked and what didn't. So if you don't have a reloading notebook, start one now.

Enjoy!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yes, I didn't document as much as I should've, but at least I kept the batches separate.

The reason I had some below minimum is that I was aiming for minimum, 4.2, and this flake powder has a lot of variance. So I was just accepting 4.1-4.3, and putting them in different batches. The rest of my loads, which I haven't shot yet, are anywhere between 4.2-4.4gr. Until I get a finer powder, it is too tedious to get an exact measurement.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    Careful, it is addicting!
    Welcome to the fold.

Don't expect to save money though. You just get to shoot more!:rockwoot:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Congrats are in order..

You're HOOKED now...

What kind of IMR powder are you loading??

If/when you find some:HP-38/ WW-231, Unique, TiteGroup, HS-6, AA-#5(or#7), or most any other COMMON pistol powder, you will be on your way...Bill.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    You're HOOKED now...

If/when you find some:HP-38/ WW-231, Unique, TiteGroup, HS-6, AA-#5(or#7), or most any other COMMON pistol powder, you will be on your way...Bill.

Couldn't agree more. I lucked out and had bought Titegroup before the craze, but getting low now.

I suggest keeping a list in your wallet of what powders to use and every time you go out, see if they have any. Granted, you will be working up new loads for each powder 20 rounds at a time, but that's a good thing. I e got a binder with every load I've done, assigned lot numbers and tag each box or bag so I can go back and make notes of the results.

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Looks to me that there is quite a few of us that have just recently gotten into reloading. I just put out my first large run after a few test rounds. It's a nice way to stay involved in the shooting world when you can't hit the range.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You're HOOKED now...

What kind of IMR powder are you loading??

I definitely need better powder. It just isn't out there. The powder shortage is worse than the factory ammo shortage ever was. There is no powder. There are no primers. If you have a tip PM me, but I was at Bradis 2 yesterday and their business seems to be on indefinite hold, with no hope of resupplying soon. I'm even willing to pay hazmat fees on powder/primers, but unable to find this stuff online either. I'm guessing we have about three months of this. Luckily I have enough components to last six months, but I would like to upgrade some stuff.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    addictive INDEED ... i just "fixed" 200rds of 45acp today...they wouldnt cycle thru my kimber 1911 when i tried them a couple months ago ... had previously only loaded straight walled calibers 38 357 44 ... i messed up the crimping operation after swelling the mouth too much prior to bullet seating ... bought a LEE factory crimp die at INDY 1500... havent shot them yet , but they run thru the gun by hand cycling the slide ...so after 20 years loading 38's etc i learned i had no clue how to crimp a case that headspaces on the mouth :) good luck & be safe

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I just bought some bullseye powder and primers today at fields outdoors in rushville paid more than I wanted but he had a large supply of powder and primers and ammo

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Way to go!

Now you will understand the satisfaction of knowing that you may not have to reload but that you can. Having been loading for 30 years it is great to know that when the "ammo panic" sets in that you can take care of yourself.

As you refine your choices, look for opportunities to stock up on components you need. :D

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Now you will understand the satisfaction of knowing that you may not have to reload but that you can. Having been loading for 30 years it is great to know that when the "ammo panic" sets in that you can take care of yourself.

As you refine your choices, look for opportunities to stock up on components you need. :D

YES. Done and done! The tip above about Indiana Gun club was extremely helpful. Someone PM'd me that they got a huge shipment of Alliant powder in, so I looked up which powders are best for a wide range of 9mm and 223 bullets, and chose Power Pistol, and AR-Comp. So I am stocked up on both now thanks to INGO. I think I bought out their primers maybe.

The important thing is now I can work with one powder that meters well going forward, and not have to worry about running out or working up a different load when powder becomes scarce. The only concern I have about Alliant is that it says it "requires" CCI primers, which I couldn't find, so I don't know if that will be an issue or if it is something they require just for utmost reliability.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    :yesway::yesway:
    Yes, it is addicting. Got tendinitis in the left arm from reloading so much. Had to switch the press handle to the other side and kept going.
    You get:
    Cheap
    Just what works best in your arms

What more could you want?

Top Bottom