• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Need to know more info on the when and where's. I guess I could cook on the spot if need be but it'd be much easier to break out what we canned a few weeks ago. Will pay attention to this thread for new info, consider me possibly "in" depending on how this shapes up. Beans---yes, pasta---depends on catagories...will leave it out if need be, we usually just use pasta as a filler anyway.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sockmonkey and I were considering a lot of the variables today. I can give you an idea of what we were thinking.

Two classes: INGO and Open. Open would be community members. I'd want this to be a community event, but also want to promote people to visit the site. Different prizes (Gun stuff for a non gun-person doesn't make sense. You want gun stuff? Join INGO and sign up as a member next year.) if we get some sponsor swag.

Four prizes: Best of INGO, Best of Open, Overall Best, People's Choice.

There's some logistical stuff I'd considered too. There's a nice town square here that hosts various community events, including a BBQ smoke-off and the like. There's a shelter, plenty of parking, electrical access, a gazebo, and a playground for the kiddos. I was going to talk to the town and see what would be necessary for having an event like this there. I was also going to find out about the local community center gym that would work as an indoor location should that be required.

I don't think that I'd be too concerned with the specifics of ingredients, (pasta/not, venison/beef/pork, etc.) That would be the judges concern and they'd base their favorites on how the entries taste.

I don't mind trying to organize it, and Sockmonkey is game.

Location would be in Hope, IN.

Any thoughts? Objections?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Is the mix all you use in it, or do you had more spice of your own and just use the mix as a base?

There's a few things extra obviously.. but, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express so I'm an expert on chili cookoffs (ok, I watched a couple on Food Network), and using store bought mixes is a big no no.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Depending on the number of folks interested, I will volunteer up my humble (I do mean humble) range for a shoot. We have plenty of space for parking and could set up tables in my 30x36 garage for the cook off and gathering area.

Perhaps others could bring steels.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    I am thinking "prepare it at home bring it out" would be easier. Of course, we might still need electricity if people are using crockpots..
    Besides, chili is better after at least a day, right? :)

Only women cook chili in a crock pot. :D

REAL men use one of these...

Chili.jpg

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Only women cook chili in a crock pot. :D

REAL men use one of these...

Chili.jpg

Oh yeah???? You haven't lived until you've cooked chili on the intake of one of these....:D

hmmwv_variants_375.jpg

Takes a while, but hey, fresh chow in the field is hard to come by.
    Ok, I will admit. The chili was always prepared ahead of time. I just reheated it, but what the hell. The truck clearing farts were always worth it. :):

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    If we want to keep this an INGO only event with a shoot session, I'll defer to someone else to organize it. I don't have access to any shooting space/cooking location.

Top Bottom