• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Man I need to move out to the country... living near a big city in a suburb sucks when all I want to do is get out into the woods to hunt...my hunting ground is 3.5 hours away in Illinois and with a working wife and 2 young kids its near impossible to get down there to hunt... life is too crazy right now.

Did your hunting stop when you had young kids? Do I need to just take a weeks vacation to hunt and make that my deer hunting for the year?

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I didn't hunt much while raising our 4. Seems like there was always football/baseball/softball or something going on with them.

We'd hit the woods every now and then, along with going fishing and camping, but we wanted them to have all kinds of experiences.

My youngest is 14 and he's been out a few times with the crossbow, but he's looking forward to this weekend.

I'll be out with the bow tomorrow night, then will focus on filling the freezer with the smokepoles.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    1455028_665058610205488_1744279690_n.jpg

Not anything deer related, but my wife made me some roasted rabbit. MMMM.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    twas a good evening for me. FINALLY got my first deer with a bow!

Bumped a deer coming in this afternoon around 3:30, climbed up and settled down and spent the next 2 hours sitting quietly, texting my cousin who's home from college to hunt in the morning and BS'ing on Facebook.

Right after sundown, when it's really the only time I see deer moving in this area, where I've passed on a couple of young bucks, and hesitated on shooting a doe because he didn't stop when I called to her, it came together.

I heard this doe walk in long before I saw it. Finally I found it and stood up and picked up my bow. It was probably only 20 yards away, drinking from a small puddle in the middle of this logging trail.

It was too thick to shoot, so I stood there patiently, knowing I was running out of light. Finally, it headed down the logging trail that I was actually expecting deer to come up.

My scent control must have been good, as it walked directly behind my stand where the wind was blowing. Finally got a clearing at 37 yards, quartering away hard.

Really glad I have that G5 Meta Titanium peep and Trophy Ridge sight to gather every bit of light, as I needed it with 10 minutes of legal shooting time left.

I settled the 40 yard pin a little more than halfway up where I thought the very back of the rib cage would be. I've studied so many pictures/videos of shot placements I felt pretty good and let er fly.

I arrow hit the vitals and the opposite front leg and the deer took off with my Carbon Express green lighted nock glowing out the side.

After a quick prayer thanking the man above, I sight down with a big smile on my face and started texting.

I waiting about 15 minutes and made the walk to my truck to change out of my camo and drove the truck down the logging road to my stand.

It'd been about 30 minutes, so I grabbed the lights, bow and sled and didn't take but a minute to find the blood.

The deer was nice enough to run right down the logging road about 60 yards and take a few steps off and lay down.

I walked up and started smiling.

1457729_10151813727678528_2062251059_n.jpg

You can see the pool of blood where the rage did it's work on the exit side.

She... turned into a HE! I noticed his stained glands and lifted a leg... yup... twig and berries... got me a button buck.

Picture of the arrow I recovered

996045_10151813957493528_1865779736_n.jpg

Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty stoked tonight. It took me a long time to get my first doe with a muzzleloader, then got a couple with a crossbow, then finally last year took my first buck on Thanksgiving day with the smokepole and today... I FINALLY achieved my goal of taking a whitetail with a bow. Funny thing is, I didn't get the buck or archery deer on Crane where I was able to hunt last season, but rather on my grandparent's farm... that's pretty amazing to me.

The boy isn't feeling to hot and will probably sleep in tomorrow, so we'll probably hold of hunting until the afternoon trying to fill his tag.

I may still get up in the morning trying to get a buck, but I'm pretty tired, lol.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Heard the first shot at 6:30 this morning. A full thirty minutes before legal time! Either an ND or a jackwagon. If it was accidental hope no one was hurt.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I only got out for an hour and a half this morning. Its our third childs 1st birthday today so I was lucky the warden allowed me the liberty she did. Years a couple of shots, but not nearly as many as I was expecting. Still a little warm yet.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I heard shots at 730-830, a couple when the sun popped up around 9, and then I took off at 930a. Really sucks work 6/7 days opening week of firearms season.

And a squirrel just about jumped into my lap. Scared the **** out of us both!

Top Bottom