Offered an Illegal SBR on trade. What to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    So it seems as if the consensus is to ignore it. T.Lex hit the nail on the head though, I'm worried about the guy that he trades/sells it to that hasn't been informed of the illegality of that gun. I would report it to the website, but he responded to an ad that I posted. He doesn't have it posted anywhere on the particular site, I looked. All I have is the phone number he texted me from.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    So it seems as if the consensus is to ignore it. T.Lex hit the nail on the head though, I'm worried about the guy that he trades/sells it to that hasn't been informed of the illegality of that gun. I would report it to the website, but he responded to an ad that I posted. He doesn't have it posted anywhere on the particular site, I looked. All I have is the phone number he texted me from.

Maybe he's a little dense. I say give him one more chance. Text him one last time with:
    "Hey man how's it goin? I don't want to step on your toes or anything but us fellow gun enthusiasts need to help each other out sometimes. I think it would be in your best interest to obtain the proper paperwork, you need to check out IC...etc...etc...etc...blah blah blah"

or something to that effect...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah - and there's one more thing you might want to do - identify him and the area he's in.

That's a bit of a thorny issue, too, but the idea is that if enough INGOers know who/where he is, we can help family/friends from getting snakebit.

Oh, something else I just thought of - tell him he'd get a great deal if he traded it to a LGS. :) I kinda think that the FFLs need to know the rights and wrongs and someone there might be able to help him get it straight. (Purple as necessary.) ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm worried about the guy that he trades/sells it to that hasn't been informed of the illegality of that gun.

It seems like we're forgiving the ignorance of the buyer but not that of the seller. The buyer should know the law before he buys the gun. Aren't they both equally guilty of ignorance? You can't fix stupid. I'd ignore it and move on.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Have him take the butt-stock off and leave it at home and trade it as a pistol?

Maybe I'm as guilty of "gun shop" misinformation as the SBR-trader, but I thought that once a lower was identified as a rifle, it couldn't go back to being a pistol.

So, if SBR-trader's lower was actually originally built as a pistol, and had the "bad" stuff added, he may be able to make it go back to being a pistol. But, if it started out as a rifle, it can only be an SBR as configured.

That's just my understanding - I could be wrong. I haven't had the need (or $$) to get into the NFA stuff much.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Maybe I'm as guilty of "gun shop" misinformation as the SBR-trader, but I thought that once a lower was identified as a rifle, it couldn't go back to being a pistol.

So, if SBR-trader's lower was actually originally built as a pistol, and had the "bad" stuff added, he may be able to make it go back to being a pistol. But, if it started out as a rifle, it can only be an SBR as configured.

That's just my understanding - I could be wrong. I haven't had the need (or $$) to get into the NFA stuff much.

I'm fairly certain your correct. A rifle cannot be legally converted to a pistol. If the lower is a rifle lower than as long as that upper is on it, it's an SBR.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not sure why the buyer or the seller needs us to nanny them. We hate it when the libs do it to us, maybe we shouldn't do it to others.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm pretty sure you should go onto INGO and brag about how you met an idiot stupid enough to offer you an unlicensed SBR.

Top Bottom