• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I made it to the second page and just couldn't read any more. Most drivers speed. Cops speed, I speed, my employees speed. Going the speed limit is obstructing the flow of traffic. Keep it reasonable and not reckless and I am happy.

Can't believe I posted in this thread. But since I did, it is aggravating when a cruiser is doing the speed limit on the interstate and they are in the left lane. Traffic gets backed up. I will still pass when given the opportunity. It's just the way it is. Cop doing 65-70MPH on I-465 is going with the flow. Let it go man.

+1 :yesway:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Good Lord, it may be annoying but I have never (nor anticipate ever) stopping a car for that. Seems like a license plate light stop is a better stopping charge than that.

What I wish you boys WOULD stop people for are the morons failing to merge. you know, the douchenozzles that fly past half a mile of slower cars to slam on the brakes and nose in because their lane ended.

But I gave up on that actually happening.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What I wish you boys WOULD stop people for are the morons failing to merge. you know, the douchenozzles that fly past half a mile of slower cars to slam on the brakes and nose in because their lane ended.

Sorry, traffic enforcement=low on my list. Too much else to do.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

Man, I'm bothered by that, but it doesn't even come close to the top of the list.. My top bi*** would have to be either, people who apply the brakes AND THEN put their turn signal on, or people who get on the highway and at the top of the ramp are still doing only 35-45 (you're getting on a freaking highway people... ACCELERATE!).

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    There never has been a "nation of laws and not men." To think such a thing ever existed is so much wet dreaming. The founding fathers had their vices and failings just like any other men. Crack a history book or something, will ya?

Oh, by the way...gun control existed in the US as far back as the early 1800's. A lot of good that war did to put an end to man's inherent desire to control other men. The only thing the war did was change who was in control.

The Alien and Sedition Acts are a prime example of which you speak, but equality is also a journey. History reflects women that were denied the right to vote, and blacks that were enslaved.

Unlike you, I understand that it is the extremely rare case when a cop is driving too fast for conditions and actually crashes and injures/kills someone because of it. I'm sure that "you're next" in your mind, but I tend to see things as they really are. (ie: rationally) When it happens, the cop can answer for his/her negligence. This may come as a shock to you, but I've actually managed to drive for almost 30 years without being killed by a speeding police car.

But keep the drama up. How boring would a gun forum be without anti-cop rants and dreams of an 18th century utopia that never existed? I'll continue to enjoy reading, until after the election day of course. Everyone knows that after Obama is reelected, the nation will collapse and we will all have to "bug out."

If you would have read/viewed the story in the OP, you would have understood my reference. I was not merely being melodramatic. Of course, deaths related to a recklessly speeding police car, can never happen to any of us, thus it isn't important to do anything about the abuse. :rolleyes:

If we are not killed by high velocity, donut laden Dodge Chargers first, of course. :):

I'm sure that such a joke would bring great comfort to the family of the victim in the OP link.

I don't think that we submit to 2 different sets of laws. We submit to the application of the law to differing circumstances. Equal and rigid application of laws is impossible in reality, thus the mountains of case law on the book since the establishment of the first courts in this country.

Precisely the problem, but usually for the fact of political expediency.

I don't consider such petty things like driving a little over the speed limit as malfeasance, so long as the driving does not endanger others. I believe that Indiana Code provides that, even when a police officer is driving with lights and sirens, he/she is still responsible for driving with "due regard" for other motorists. Rather than throwing a hissy fit every time a cop passes me on I-465, I'll reserve my concern for the truly reckless cop, which is a rarity.

Speeding and recklessness are 2 different things. Speeding is so petty, it was decriminalized into an infraction a long, long time ago. It's a long way from petty nonsense to subjugation in my book.

Correct. Though how fast would an automobile in a non emergent situation, have to go, before you would define as reckless? How about for the circumstances? That is what my concern is referencing, not by mere speeding.

Would you advocate for strict enforcement of every written law, no matter what the circumstances, on every citizen, regardless of the situation?

I wouldn't. Though life is more shades of gray, than black and white.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Would you advocate for strict enforcement of every written law, no matter what the circumstances, on every citizen, regardless of the situation?

You are introducing a separate issue. While I may consider strict application, or even the mere existence, of arbitrary laws at best unnecessary, I will stand by the notion that there should be either one law or no law particularly regarding standards of enforcement.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I can't believe I read the whole thing. It passed the time somewhat. Let them speed. I do too sometimes. I can't believe I never got stopped when I caught up with and passed the last cop car in line while they were Code3 in a pursuit once. :): I didn't look over, but my buddy said he sure had a big-eyed look on his face when i went by!
    OK, I admit I was bad, but WCIS?:eek:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    again... speeding like a normal person 5-10 over fine. tailgating and pushing traffic and being a douche bag is not. I see the latter weekly. I see the former daily. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a cop car going the speed limit.

The dangerous and reckless driving is unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned, when those are reported they should have their vehicles taken from them when not on duty.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Sorry, traffic enforcement=low on my list. Too much else to do.

Haha, my town wouldn't have a PD if traffic tickets didn't exist, because they wouldn't have anything else to do.

I'm not complaining about the non-existent crime happening around here, I'm just saying it just wouldn't even be possible for an officer around here to say what you just said.:):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Read "Traffic" (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the late merging)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Does it go into detail about the mechanisms secretly installed in vehicles which drop the driver's IQ by 85% as soon as they turn the ignition key?

That's not joke, including and especially the truck-driving graduates of some of these credential mills!

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Almost everyone speeds, doesn't matter what their profession is. People just get more butthurt when cops do it. /QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Do ya ever have to pay for a speeding ticket frank?
    When some of yas use your lights to go thru an intersection only to go get some mcdonalds. Or goin mach 2 criss crossing lanes on 65 with your kid or wife in the car on your way to Gander Mountain. Or better yet when im driving 40 in a 35 and one of yas rides my bumper like im goin 20?

Ya
    "We" get but hurt when i see law enforcement not upholding a proper standard when it comes to whats right on our roads.
    But I expect this out of the general public.

Police officers should set the example. There is no excuse for violating traffic laws when off-duty.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I found very interesting the idea that police officers NOT trained in high-speed driving were safer than trained officers. Trained officers seem to be "over-confident" and think with their ego instead of their brain cells.

I found that article interesting as well but what I took away from it was that we seek out and hire those with risk taking tendencies then get irate when they exhibit those behaviors. Finding a balance usually comes with maturity but we hire them young.

Top Bottom