OCers, what level of retention holster do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OCers ONLY!!! What level of retention do you use?

• Total voters

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I carry the same one, what bad rep have they been getting. I love mine.

I haven't really hear much about the "bad rap" lately, but they used to get a bad rap when "people who are less inclined to think with any common sense whatsoever" decided they'd push the release button with the tip of their finger like if you went to draw and made your trigger finger a hook. If you push it like that, it is possible to have your finger slip once the holster is cleared and it can hit the trigger.
    Rules learned:
    1. Don't be a "person who is less inclined to think with any common sense"
    2. Draw like you would from any other holster with your trigger finger pointing down the frame. That natural position will allow the release to work as designed and will keep you from shooting yourself in the leg.

It's less a design flaw and more of a user error issue.

Now I'll tell ya' hw I really feel... :laugh:

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I could be wrong on this, but isn't a "simple holster" still considered one level of retention? From what I understand, a holster that holds your weapon would be one level of retention and zero retention would be something like sticking it in the waistband of your pants. Therefore, my SERPA holster has 2 levels of retention: it holds the weapon, and it requires a button press to release a lock on the trigger guard. Does anyone know enough about this to shed a little light?

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    You would be right ninja. As far as the serpa getting a bad rep here is another example. My local club the NPCCC just sent out an email saying that they watched the Tex Grebner video and are now thinking of banning them from club matches. I should send them some other videos of other holster causing the same thing. Why no one thinks this wasnt user error I will never know.

jmartin72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Covington
    After drawing my pistol from my SERPA hundreds of times, I can't fathom how this could ever be possible. My finger comes out right above the trigger guard every single time. My finger only goes in when I'm ready to rock.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Most of what I have read says that each level of retention refers to some form of lock that must be intentionally defeated in order to draw the pistol from the holster. By that standard a plain leather holster would have a retention level of 0. There is not a clearly defined and universally accepted/applied standard for what a level of retention is. People who count each lock usually agree that Serpas are rated as one level higher than they actually are.

I know that no level of retention is technically required, but I really get tired of my XDm falling out on the floor when I take a dump. I also feel that a visible retention device makes you less likely to be targeted for a snatch and grab attempt. I don't know if there are any facts to back that up, but it is something that will make me a little more comfortable/confident while OCing.

Top Bottom