• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Appears to be just another OC'er creating an issue where there need not be one.

Not familiar with Ohio laws, but presuming the LEO's were in the wrong, good luck getting $3.6 million dollars, LOL. $600,000 in 'compensatory damages'??? Compensated for what, being detained? How MUCH does Call make per hour, LOL? MAYBE $100,000, if that. It appears Ray Call is just trying to see if he can squeeze some free money out of the law-abiding citizens of Ohio. The LEO's aren't going to be paying for that, the citizens are.

This kind of silliness ONLY helps the libtards, people like Feinstein. It does NOT help the cause of those citizens who just want to carry a firearm to defend themself, and go about their business.

Ya don't need to go out and stand on the main street corner in town and rant to 'prove' ya have the 1st Amendment "right" to do it. You DO have the right, but quite often, you're also 'proving' yourself to be a nutball IF ya do so JUST to 'prove a point'.

And that entire "a right not exercised is lost" espousal is fallacious. It's NOT 'diminished' because ya don't 'exercise it'. It was diminished over the years because PRO-gun milquetoast types didn't CAMPAIGN and VOTE against it being diminished in the FIRST place. Want someone to 'blame'? Blame YOUR Dad or YOUR Grandpa, that were probably pro-gun, for NOT getting this straightened out 60 or 100 years ago.

IF Ray Call or these other "I have the RIGHT!" types REALLY want to do something beneficial, let them work tirelessly to campaign and get the laws changed to 'Constitutional' carry, which is what they're really wanting. Until they TAKE that action and DO something, quit whining, 'cause that's ALL it is.

Let it go. Move on.

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    ...In this situation had he provided the information up front it would of been over immediately and he could still could sue for the exact same reason he is now.

There's an interesting hypothetical. Suppose Mr. Call had obliged the officers, endured a lecture about how stupid and unnecessary it is for him to OC and he had replied with a polite, "Yes, sir, I understand."

Wouldn't he still have the same grounds to file the same suit against the city and the officers, assuming that they would have asked the same probing questions?

Just curious. And WELCOME to INGO, Tangowood!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Not familiar with Ohio laws, but presuming the LEO's were in the wrong, good luck getting $3 million dollars, LOL.

This kind of silliness ONLY helps the libtards, and people like Feinstein and her cronies. It does NOT help the cause of those citizens who just want to carry a firearm to defend themself, and go about their business.

There is no need to create such issues to "prove your rights", or "prove you can exercise your rights". None. If you have the right, you have the right, period. Creating a conflict with law enforcement ONLY creates problems, as it did for this yabo, Call.

Ya don't need to go out and stand on the main street corner in town and rant to 'prove' ya have the 1st Amendment "right" to do it. You DO have the right, but quite often, you're also 'proving' yourself to be a nutball IF ya do so JUST to 'prove a point'.

It appears this yabo is just trying to see if he can squeeze some free money out of the law-abiding citizens of Ohio. The LEO's aren't going to be paying for that, the citizens are.

Let it go. Move on.

1... This guy did NOT "create" the issue!
    2... He wasn't out to "prove your (his) rights"!
    3... As far as I know, he wasn't "on the main street corner" ranting. He was in a convenience store. That makes him a "nut ball"?:n00b:

This guy was going about his business, hurting NO ONE, doing NOTHING illegal!
    So he's a "nutball" for wanting justice after being illegally detained and harassed?

Tangowood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Boone County
    1... This guy did NOT "create" the issue!
    2... He wasn't out to "prove your (his) rights"!
    3... As far as I know, he wasn't "on the main street corner" ranting. He was in a convenience store. That makes him a "nut ball"?:n00b:

This guy was going about his business, hurting NO ONE, doing NOTHING illegal!
    So he's a "nutball" for wanting justice after being illegally detained and harassed?

In Life the are consequences for every decision we make. By him choosing to OC he will have to deal with people giving him the evil eye and people calling the cops on him (for no good reason). So yes he did "create the issue". Now how he deals with it in entirely up to him. Make it a non-issue or escalate it...if he wants harassed answer like he did. if he wants to go on with life with no issues a "here you go mister officer" and a 2 minute wait and it is over and would probably have met some other nice guys that the next time they saw him would just waive and ask how it was going.

Attention like this to "gun control" makes the whole "debate" look like a bunch of 5 year olds arguing over who is right.

Just my :twocents: but not the attention we need.

And thanks for the welcome N8RV. I love the site great place for exchanging of ideas.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    ...And thanks for the welcome N8RV. I love the site great place for exchanging of ideas.

Yeah, well ... you will soon learn that opining on the OC/CC debate will get you kicked around a bit. Better have a thick skin, or you won't last long around these here parts. :D

I don't OC. I don't have a problem with those who do. I happen to be of a different mindset, and if others don't like it, tough. Like Rodney King ... can't we all just get along?

That said, I will admit that this video disturbed even me. The guy was minding his own business, didn't smart off the officers, actually gave them more response than the law required, and was detained and harassed for no reason other than somebody saw a gun and had heart palpitations over it.

I agree that suing the city will only end up costing the taxpayers, but isn't it the job of the police departments to ensure that their officers know the laws pertinent to their daily tasks? I realize that they cannot have the entire IC memorized, but gun laws are pretty basic. Given the current climate, I would think that some remedial training in carry laws should be part of every community's continuing education program.

I respect the LEOs who serve and protect. However, when there is no reasonable suspicion of illegal activity, it would seem more prudent to approach the one who called in the MWAG and address his misunderstandings before harassing the armed citizen who is minding his own business.

Am I wrong? (Now, Tangowood, pay attention. See what kind of responses this post garners. LOL) :laugh:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Not familiar with Ohio laws, but presuming the LEO's were in the wrong, good luck getting $3.6 million dollars, LOL. $600,000 in 'compensatory damages'??? Compensated for what, being detained? How MUCH does Call make per hour, LOL? MAYBE $100,000, if that. It appears Ray Call is just trying to see if he can squeeze some free money out of the law-abiding citizens of Ohio. The LEO's aren't going to be paying for that, the citizens are.

This kind of silliness ONLY helps the libtards, people like Feinstein. It does NOT help the cause of those citizens who just want to carry a firearm to defend themself, and go about their business.

And that entire "a right not exercised is lost" espousal is fallacious. It's NOT 'diminished' because ya don't 'exercise it'. It was diminished over the years because PRO-gun milquetoast types didn't CAMPAIGN and VOTE against it being diminished in the FIRST place. Want someone to 'blame'? Blame YOUR Dad or YOUR Grandpa, that were probably pro-gun, for NOT getting this straightened out 60 or 100 years ago.

IF Ray Call or these other "I have the RIGHT!" types REALLY want to do something beneficial, let them work tirelessly to campaign and get the laws changed to 'Constitutional' carry, which is what they're really wanting. Until they TAKE that action and DO something, quit whining, 'cause that's ALL it is.

Let it go. Move on.

This post is wrong on SO many levels:

1. He did not create the problem Law enforcement officers IGNORANT of the law created the problem.

2. It appears that you have a "Price" for your rights. Mine happen to be PRICELESS.

3. Letting it go just allows the IGNORANCE with the Law Enforcement Community to continue. I guess our founding fathers could have LET IT GO and not had the Boston Tea Party. I am sure you would love to be able to talk like Piers Morgan, eh?

there comes a time when GOOD AMERICANS need to stand up and fight for our rights. Not roll over, like you suggest.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In Life the are consequences for every decision we make. By him choosing to OC he will have to deal with people giving him the evil eye and people calling the cops on him (for no good reason). So yes he did "create the issue". Now how he deals with it in entirely up to him. Make it a non-issue or escalate it...if he wants harassed answer like he did. if he wants to go on with life with no issues a "here you go mister officer" and a 2 minute wait and it is over and would probably have met some other nice guys that the next time they saw him would just waive and ask how it was going.

Attention like this to "gun control" makes the whole "debate" look like a bunch of 5 year olds arguing over who is right.

Just my :twocents: but not the attention we need.

And thanks for the welcome N8RV. I love the site great place for exchanging of ideas.

See my response to an earlier post. It applies to you as well.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Appears to be just another OC'er creating an issue where there need not be one...

Your ridiculous attempt to somehow blame the open carrier (who was simply going about his ordinary business while armed in an open carry state) once again belies your claim that you don't harbor a serious anti-OC bias.

...Let it go. Move on.

That's funny, since you're the very example of one incapable of doing so. :):

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When I carry, I OC. Does this mean that I should expect to be harassed? I know what I can and cannot do in regards to carrying. I am required to provide a LTCH to the officer if asked, yet not a my driver's license. If an officer stops me, I provide what is required and they continue to harass me, do I deserve it? No.

This guy is in the exact same situation. He provided MORE information than what was required. Ohio Revised Code states that you do not need to provide name, birth date, SSN, nothing, because open carry is legal in Ohio. He provided a last name for them and was bullied into providing his SSN. These officers should have to answer to their superiors as to why they harassed an innocent man.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't understand this at all. People on this site saying that the guy doing his on thing was in the wrong and just looking for a easy pay day. He went into a store to pick up something and ended up in the back of a police car being asked questions that had nothing to do with any thing. This is all wrong on so many levels. I hope he wins big and the cops get sent home to think about what they did with out pay. This stuff has to stop. We don't live in Cuba!

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Look at LEO's in Indy for a moment, their track record is really bad lately; paddy wagon driver, 2 serious accidents, suspended with pay. Bisard, need I say more. These guys don't get spanked personally in the pocket, so they don't care.

If you can spank the individual instead of the citizenry, things would change quick. Do thinks LEO's would be such a problem if they knew it was coming out of their pocket instead of ours.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Certainly agree with all the comments about the Ohio State Police overstepping their authority based on info above. There always seems to be rogue operatives at all levels of law enforcement. Just look at the recent IRS disclosures. However, if we have a certain right why does it have to be so highly flaunted? OC sometimes seems more about shouting I have this right and I am going to show everyone that I have this right. What is really gained by being so overbearing about one's privileges. Do you really have a tactical advantage (and all the related arguments that sound more like rationalizations than real reasons) if you OC vs proper CC? Why not just do discrete unobtrusive carry?

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I agree suing is probably going to get the most attention. But is that attention a good thing? I have seen 3 post this morning on INGO with guys ( some with friends in tow with Video cameras ) doing the exact same thing. Challenging and questioning police officers with OC. Look we live in a country were alot of people are scared of guns. I have a right to carry a gun and am greatful for that. It does not mean i need to make other people around me uncomfortable. If i am in a situation that i feel unsafe then by all means i display it. But as in a several of these situations to me it looks like people are just looking for thsi to happen and that is a bad thing. A simple act of handing over a LTCH would end the situation and then you can take that video or story to the dept. or local news outlet.

Look my general rule of thumb is that any time there is a situation were a gun is involved i want to diffuse the situation as quickly as possible, then when all parties involved have cooled down then we can have a open and much more meaningful conversation about it.

In this situation had he provided the information up front it would of been over immediately and he could still could sue for the exact same reason he is now.

Your highlighted statements are contradictory. You care about others emotions unless you feel unsafe. Then you are fine with making ignorant people unhappy.

One of the reasons I OC is to present a non soft target. My life is not dependent on how others "feel" or how I feel for that matter. I may be attacked when I "feel" safe, and OC may deter that.

I AM looking for attention. The attention of bad people in my presence to observe that I will no submit and I am not prey. This has nothing to do with the police.....assuming they are not criminals. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Certainly agree with all the comments about the Ohio State Police overstepping their authority based on info above. There always seems to be rogue operatives at all levels of law enforcement. Just look at the recent IRS disclosures. However, if we have a certain right why does it have to be so highly flaunted? OC sometimes seems more about shouting I have this right and I am going to show everyone that I have this right. What is really gained by being so overbearing about one's privileges. Do you really have a tactical advantage (and all the related arguments that sound more like rationalizations than real reasons) if you OC vs proper CC? Why not just do discrete unobtrusive carry?

When I vote, am I "flaunting" my right. Maybe I should hide it.
    How about those people that dare to flaunt their first amendment rights by putting up political signs and decals up.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...However, if we have a certain right why does it have to be so highly flaunted? OC sometimes seems more about shouting I have this right and I am going to show everyone that I have this right. What is really gained by being so overbearing about one's privileges. Do you really have a tactical advantage (and all the related arguments that sound more like rationalizations than real reasons) if you OC vs proper CC? Why not just do discrete unobtrusive carry?

Seriously, which C do you support more, Carry or Concealment?

And since when is concealing "proper"?

Since when is simply carrying a sidearm without taking that extra step of hiding it from view "highly flaunting", "shouting", "overbearing" and "obtrusive"?

Why not bring your questions and opinions to a "proper" thread for arguing about open carry rather than injecting them into this thread which was about an illegal detainment?

Here's a nice one for you: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

:popcorn:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom