OC problem. It was an LEO carrying this time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    If we are going to assume the mantle that comes with oc--don't put your heads in the sand, there are certain behavioral obligations--then it follows that we must take steps to monitor our behavior. Right or wrong, being 'the loud guy' is a great deal different than being 'the loud guy with a gun.' Should people understand the freedoms afforded by this nation? Yes, they should, and that is their responsibility, but if we ever want any measure of understanding from the non-gun-owning public, we must temper our behavior.

As to whether a gun is needed at a softball game...is a gun needed in a kindergarten? there have been several kindergarten massacres perpetrated throughout China lately; all by suicidal men with knives. A gun might come in handy there. Legal counsel at VA Tech screamed and ridiculed the student CCW group regarding guns on campus just a few months before the mass shooting there. Are guns necessary at a softball game? No, per se. They are not needed in the grocery store, diner, or classroom either, but because of the deranged actions of others who do not honor the sanctity of public gatherings and do not respect the average person's right to NOT BE SHOT, we must recognize the reality of the world in which we live. There is danger everywhere. One can either stay home in fear (which also ain't all that safe) or take personal responsibility and be armed. I will take the latter, but i will comport myself in a manner befitting my higher level of social responsibility.

A bit pretentious I guess, but them's the breaks.

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    If we are going to assume the mantle that comes with oc--don't put your heads in the sand, there are certain behavioral obligations--then it follows that we must take steps to monitor our behavior. Right or wrong, being 'the loud guy' is a great deal different than being 'the loud guy with a gun.' Should people understand the freedoms afforded by this nation? Yes, they should, and that is their responsibility, but if we ever want any measure of understanding from the non-gun-owning public, we must temper our behavior.

As to whether a gun is needed at a softball game...is a gun needed in a kindergarten? there have been several kindergarten massacres perpetrated throughout China lately; all by suicidal men with knives. A gun might come in handy there. Legal counsel at VA Tech screamed and ridiculed the student CCW group regarding guns on campus just a few months before the mass shooting there. Are guns necessary at a softball game? No, per se. They are not needed in the grocery store, diner, or classroom either, but because of the deranged actions of others who do not honor the sanctity of public gatherings and do not respect the average person's right to NOT BE SHOT, we must recognize the reality of the world in which we live. There is danger everywhere. One can either stay home in fear (which also ain't all that safe) or take personal responsibility and be armed. I will take the latter, but i will comport myself in a manner befitting my higher level of social responsibility.

Nicely stated Woodrow.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

:+1:Rep...

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Can you really call him an idiot? I know a lot of people who are deathly afraid of guns. A lot of them are terrified of the thought of us carrying. Imagine what they think and feel when they see us carrying. My wife's grandma bout freaked when she first saw me carry. She still hasn't gotten use to it, but after talking to her, she does feel better about it.
    The idiots are the ones who make it worst for us. Not the ones who have a fear of guns, they just don't understand. That's all.

Yep.

I remember the first time I worked with someone who carried. This was 15 yrs ago... long before I ever thought about owning a gun. At the time I don't remember caring one way or another about the right to carry; if you had asked me, I probably would have said I felt less safe in the presence of gun owners. I probably thought it was overkill for this guy to carry. But I listened and learned. Sometimes that's all it takes for an idiot to become informed. I just wish I had the patience with the uninformed that that guy had.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I remember the first time I worked with someone who carried. This was 15 yrs ago... long before I ever thought about owning a gun. At the time I don't remember caring one way or another about the right to carry; if you had asked me, I probably would have said I felt less safe in the presence of gun owners. I probably thought it was overkill for this guy to carry. But I listened and learned. Sometimes that's all it takes for an idiot to become informed. I just wish I had the patience with the uninformed that that guy had.[/quote]

Excellent point. Good to remember where we came from and how the doors were opened.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Based on conversations with a man who served for a short time as an Indiana state police officer, and interactions with LEOs re traffic violation and accidents, I have observed that LEOs are loud, aggressive, in-your-face people. If they are not sufficiently aggressive they do not last on the force. They get relieved, fired, or killed. Or resign. They must be that type of person to do the job. No complaint or rebuke here. Just an assessment based on my experience and observations.

Put that type of character on a little league or Pop Warner sideline with his/her future all-star in the game, many people will be very, very nervous. Put a gun on his/her hip and folks get even more nervous. When I see that behavior my SA kicks in and I get very nervous. That man/woman scares me, and I am CCing. If he is going to act like that in public, hide the gun. If he is going to OC, cool it!!

If I saw that man regularly at a game, I would move my kid to a different league. I suggest a fellow LEO discuss the issue with the man. Won't help, though; but it is worth trying. At some point, there will be a problem. I would ensure me and mine are else where when it does.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

:+1:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I think LEO's should hold themselves to a higher standard. They have an obligation to be more morale upstanding than the rest of us and considering how most LEO's act to an OC'er, this guy should know better.

image.jpg

50 on the nose! Head to the classifieds my friend, well done!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 26
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom