• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Any park could be a problem for safety but I've always felt Wesselman's was pretty good. However, the greenway path passing by Garvin park and under Diamond Ave. saw a brutal assault and rape of a young woman walking/jogging by herself a couple years ago. I biked on it a few months ago and CCed my G23. I don't think E'ville parks had any prohibition on carry at that time.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I can't trump that, but ...

... I got a "warm-fuzzy attaboy" from a State LEO last week. Four lanes on Hwy 9 @ 128, and arrows for left-turners. Oncoming cars cleared the intersection, I had had an arrow, but it went off. No traffic at me, only a Dodge Charger behind, so I coasted on through the no-arrow, and went on my way. The Dodge was a Trooper. He followed me to a safe spot and lit me up. "Good Morning; do you know why I'm stopping you?" 'No sir, I don't.' "Well you sort of ran that arrow on 9." 'Yes I did. I figured nobody would mind, and ....' "O.K., but I'll have to give you a warning ticket." 'O.K.' ...gave him my papers. When he came back and gave me the warning, he remarked, "I see your ""Defended by Smith & Wesson"" decal; do you carry a S&W?" 'No sir, mine's a Glock.' "Well so is mine. Drive carefully now!."

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    "I'm sorry officer, I don't seem to have a permit on me. If you would like to see my "license to carry handgun" then I would be glad to show it to you."

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Glad to hear about such a good encounter and interaction. With all of the crime happening on our trails and in our parks, you do need to be prepared to defend your family and yourself. An encounter like this that went as well as a LEO just checking me for my fishing license is really great to hear of. Thank you for being polite and considerate of the LEO just doing hiis/her job.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    "I'm sorry officer, I don't seem to have a permit on me. If you would like to see my "license to carry handgun" then I would be glad to show it to you."

Sorry, not with you on this response. If he's being polite, follow rule #1: Don't be a dick. If he starts off as a know-it-all sphincter, then maybe he deserves to have you/us be a nitpicking little *$&# in return, but it sounds like this guy was being polite and professional. Don't reward that by being a dick.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    iamaclone45 said:
    Sorry, not with you on this response. If he's being polite, follow rule #1: Don't be a dick. If he starts off as a know-it-all sphincter, then maybe he deserves to have you/us be a nitpicking little *$&# in return, but it sounds like this guy was being polite and professional. Don't reward that by being a dick.

My thoughts exactly. If the officer isn't being a douche, no reason to argue semantics to push him into becoming a douche.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

+1. You can usually tell within the first couple seconds whether the officer is going to be a jerk or not. If he is being polite, there is no reason to not be polite right back to him. If the LEO comes off as a cocky jerk, then let him have it. I try to treat others with the same level of respect that they treat me.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I also disagree with this and it is hard for me to do because I am naturally a smartass and I like to correct people, especially when they try to correct me.

But this just opens you up to the officer "taking his time with you". As it has been brought up in other threads the act of carrying a handgun in Indiana is a crime. That is why we have a license which gives us permission to break this crime legally. Since he found me in the commission of a crime he could have ran my LTCH to see if it was valid. Most officers would also ask for ID at that point. Multiple other officers would likely be called out and the situation COULD escalate out of control.

I know you probably meant it as a joke, and I also see where you are coming from so I'm really not trying to dog you I just wanted to make my point clear that interactions with cops in normal everyday life does not have to be a battle of us vs them. It can even be pleasant.

I genuinely believe this officer was wanting to help me out by "checking my permit" so if anyone should call in a MWAG 911 call several officers wouldn't be pulled away and hunt me down in the park.

Top Bottom