• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I've always tried to be the guy that smiles and explains myself politely instead of being confrontational. I try and stay on everybody's good side if possible.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I think that you'll find that most people never even notice. In all of the time that I've been OCing I have never had any negative comments from anyone, and I OC around the Peoples Republic of Bloomington! If you want to start out gradually, I suggest OCing on walks around your neighborhood, perhaps walking your dog. Once you realize that you can make it around the block without being arrested with news helicopters hovering over head , move up to 2A pro, or at least neutral, places like Starbucks and Walmart. The more you do it the easier it becomes and the more you realize that most people are completely oblivious to you and their surroundings.

johnhhil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Darlington
    I got my LTCH about a month ago and since day 1 I was open carrying. I was surprised how hardly anyone noticed. Now i don't go anywhere with out carrying openly (where Legal of course). So don't be nervous.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I go into this post with an assumptive position... but I'll say it anyway.

Forget the fact that you are carrying a firearm for a minute. It all comes down to how you carry YOURSELF.

If you walk into your local grocery store 'for the first time', carrying your firearm openly, and you are nervous/over-analyzing/paranoid,
    The people of the sheeple can and will see that. By that I mean, the sheeple are usually too busy walking and texting or in their own little world.
    The PEOPLE that may notice often times are other gun enthusiasts (as mentioned, you tend to get a lot of "I'm still waiting for my permit; What you carrying?; Is that a 9mm?).

Back to how you carry yourself, though.
    Really. I'll be blunt here. If you tend to wear a backwards hat with a cut-off sleeved t-shirt and a sloppy, cheap holster literally hanging off of your hip...
    Yeah... yeah... you just might get some dirty looks and it would then be assumptive that people may react negatively.

Don't dress like a slob, be calm, casual and carry about your business and you're likely to never have issues.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Lots of good advice and comments in this thread.

I also OC pretty frequently, and have never had a negative encounter. It is rare that ANYONE says a peep to me. It has gotten to the point that it is simply not a big deal at all.

It helped me to have a bunch of "come backs" ready, in case someone confronted me. More for my own comfort, though. I've actually never really needed to say much of anything. In my own opinion, it also helps to look nice and be polite. Not only does that set folks at ease, but it leaves a good impression of us "gun guys". (Note: I feel the same when I wear a company shirt, or a logo from an organization I'm involved with).

So, Keep Calm and (open) Carry On!

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Like stated before, you will barely be noticed if you are clean shaven and look professional. There have been several times that I have been asked law enforcement questions, I just respond that I am a citizen same as them and I am not sure of the legal ramifications of the question. They look at me, look at my gun and then the usual questions or comments ensue and I just politely inform them of some of the info I have learned here. After that they are enlightened and one person asked me to take them to the range to shoot for their first time. To which I agreed.

Just be relaxed and stay in areas you know are legal and you will be fine.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The more you do it, the more you get used to it. You will get to the point where you don't worry about it anymore. You will be surprised that most people don't even notice. However, you do need to be informed as to your rights and responsibilities. Suggest that you read the sticky threads on OC in this forum (Carry Issues and Self Defense). They provide some excellent information on how to respond to LEOs and owners / managers of business establishments.

I started OCing over 1 year ago. I have never been questioned by LEOs (not that it couldn't or won't happen to you), but I have been noticed by LEOs while OCing, they just didn't say anything to me. I have really only had two people challenge me. One was a manager at a grocery store, and I wouldn't even call that a negative experience, just a challenge. I calmly explained the Indiana code to him and that OC was legal in Indiana, and he accepted my explanation without asking me to leave or cover my weapon. The second was a security guard at a mall who asked me to return the weapon to my car. I complied with his request, and never returned to that mall. The number of times I have not been noticed or received any comments at all FAR exceeds the two occasions that it did happen. And I do OC regularly during the warm weather months.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In all honesty, it's pretty rare that you get inquisitive people sparking a conversation. Most of those are people who are interested, but less educated in firearms IME.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can count on one hand the number of times a stranger has comments on my OC handgun in the last 5 years or so. It is becoming statistically insignificant.

1) Random scruffy dude at McDonalds: "Is that a Glock" (no, it is not)
    2) Counter girl at Culver's: "Are you a cop?" (no, and I don't need the discount)
    3) Parts Guy at Autozone: "Are you a cop?" (no, and also for a discount)
    4) Off-duty cop at Redbird SRA: "Nice Springfield. My department issues a Glock" (as he pulls it from his glove box to show me)
    5) Guy at gas station: "I didn't know you could carry it out in the open like that" (chatted with him a while)
    6) Check-out girl at another gas station: "Hey! You have a GUN!" (yes. yes I do.)

OK, so more than one hand (unless you are the guy who killed Mr. Montoya).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can count on one hand the number of times a stranger has comments on my OC handgun in the last 5 years or so. It is becoming statistically insignificant.

...OK, so more than one hand (unless you are the guy who killed Mr. Montoya).

Reps inbound for the vague "Princess Bride" reference.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I too would like to open carry once I get my license but I have two concerns. One is the, from what I've read, usual anxiety of starting out with OC. The second is that although I'm in my mid twenties I don't look old enough to even drive.

My big fear is that I, at least for now, would never be able to OC without getting the cops called on me every day because I only look around 15 years old.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I too would like to open carry once I get my license but I have two concerns. One is the, from what I've read, usual anxiety of starting out with OC. The second is that although I'm in my mid twenties I don't look old enough to even drive.

My big fear is that I, at least for now, would never be able to OC without getting the cops called on me every day because I only look around 15 years old.
    Facial hair will fix that. I am 30 and look 15 without any.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Facial hair will fix that. I am 30 and look 15 without any.

Not really. I actually use to have a mustache and everyone was like "Look at the 12 year old with a mustache" :): I just look that young that not even that helps. I should also note that I'm only 5'1", so pretty small as well.
    On a side note, I also do not like to have facial hair.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You might consider a combination of long hair and mustache, it worked well for Inigo.

inigo_montoya.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    6) Check-out girl at another gas station: "Hey! You have a GUN!" (yes. yes I do.)

I'm disappointed. That softball and you couldn't come up with something more colorful, like, "yes, and I have a firearm too."

OP, you'll become more comfortable as you do it.

I've been OCing for years now and have had nothing but positive or neutral comments.

Just this past weekend a distant friend asked me what "that" was pointing to my hip. I replied, "Is this a rhetorical question or are you inquiring about make and model?"

Top Bottom