• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Then he wasn't OCing he was CCing very badly. I just went back to officers.com and did some math. It wasn't 2 or 3 it was more like 13 different cops calling citizens "retards" and "morons". While not the entire force, it is enough to make an honest person worry.
    That's fair, I guess, but I wouldn't necessarily wanted to be painted by the views of 13 INGO members.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, I would like to point out that the last time I asked Fenway to lend the INGO name and help out with the event. The answer is always a sharp unequivocal NO.

As for what we're doing wrong, this time and last, maybe you could point that out and we could build on that for next time?

Look, every point I had to make was made very clearly, prior to the event taking place. I, along with many others on this forum have to produce reviews of events, sales, promotions, recruitment, etc., in our business. I didn't think it was anything surprising or offensive to just put the idea out there. I am not looking to start the usual soap opera back-and-forth, I'm only looking for lessons learned.

Because I didn't attend the event, there is no way I can say what could be done better. Since you were there, could YOU provide the input I'm asking about? All you have to do is review the plan and discuss what took place, comparing and contrasting the intent and the outcome. This can better help with planning future events. If not, cool.

As for Fenway saying "No" to your event, I would ask why he refused and see if there is possibly some changes that could be made in order to get his support. If what he asks is unacceptable, then move on and forget about it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As for Fenway saying "No" to your event, I would ask why he refused and see if there is possibly some changes that could be made in order to get his support. If what he asks is unacceptable, then move on and forget about it.

The ONLY event that has been supported by the boss was the first (and only) official INGO picnic at ECPR a couple summers ago. :twocents:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was NOT at the event today, so if that changes anyone's mind about what I have to say, then it is what it is.

That being said, I would NOT want INGO to "sponsor" my event. I wouldn't put INGO's name on my event.

That's one reason I let the feeler thread for my own event die. Because I mistakenly put INGO in the title. That being said, I wouldn't want to attach ANY type of business or site to an event I have planned. Just leaves it open to being viewed as a money making event or stunt rather than something genuine and meaningful.

I would appreciate support from MEMBERS (not money, but actual support), but I in no way would ask the owner of a website to put said websites name on something to give it credibility, because I think it would have the opposite effect.

This is of course MY opinion, so that of course is worth whatever you want it to be worth. :)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Look, every point I had to make was made very clearly, prior to the event taking place. I, along with many others on this forum have to produce reviews of events, sales, promotions, recruitment, etc., in our business. I didn't think it was anything surprising or offensive to just put the idea out there. I am not looking to start the usual soap opera back-and-forth, I'm only looking for lessons learned.

Because I didn't attend the event, there is no way I can say what could be done better. Since you were there, could YOU provide the input I'm asking about? All you have to do is review the plan and discuss what took place, comparing and contrasting the intent and the outcome. This can better help with planning future events. If not, cool.

The one thing I can think of that could have been done better is have more support from gun owns...maybe that is too much to ask.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The one thing I can think of that could have been done better is have more support from gun owns...maybe that is too much to ask.

Maybe it was when people are being asked to take away time from their families on a holiday weekend. :dunno: So, maybe a takeaway would be to conduct the next event on a non-holiday weekend.

9mm Luger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I didn't see anything on Foxs website, hopefully they will post it later. I can't get Fox59 up north here, it would cool to see the clip.

Glad to hear everything went smooth, and some of the public is more informed of what their rights are! :yesway: :ingo:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Maybe it was when people are being asked to take away time from their families on a holiday weekend. :dunno: So, maybe a takeaway would be to conduct the next event on a non-holiday weekend.

Yeah, I guess support of one of the most important rights just isn't worth sacrificing any time for.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Hopefully, those who have families that are interested won't take time away from them, they will bring them.

The reporter seemed very intrigued by the presence of women and children, and sought both Cathy and Sean out for interviews. I think he liked the idea of families being involved in guns and shooting.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

I wasn't TRYING to start a pissing match. I was asking a genuine question. I thought what happened at the walk was made pretty clear. A bunch of guys and gals and kids walked down the side walk asking people if they would like to learn more about Indiana Gun Rights and what not. (Not those specific wordings either) Some had long guns, some hand pistols, I carried a flag, and a few people talked with us, some just took the flier and said thank you. We walked a little ways around downtown and back. That's it. No signs, no megaphone, none of that which would require a permit and paying to protest or whatever.

Now that you have, in detail, what happened, I ask again your opinion on what could be done differently.

Also, I wasn't saying that I want Fenway or anyone else to endorse the event or lend their name to it. The first event I thought it would be good to give people a place to go to learn more. Fenway didn't want anything to do with it, fine. And like Cru said, having someone like INGO "Sponsor" the event probably wouldn't be the best thing anyway. It would look too much like a money making stunt and take away from the message.

However, the only thing I think that could be done differently to make any positive difference is stated below.

Not much else you can change until more people get involved and try to engage with NON-gun owners. :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I didn't see anything on Foxs website, hopefully they will post it later. I can't get Fox59 up north here, it would cool to see the clip.

Glad to hear everything went smooth, and some of the public is more informed of what their rights are! :yesway: :ingo:

There were two seperate clips, different stories, on Fox59, one on the 4:30 news and one near the top at 5:00. Both very positive. Frankly, it just doesn't get much better than that for a gun protest, IMHO.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, I guess support of one of the most important rights just isn't worth sacrificing any time for.

In my opinion, I gave 10 years in support for all rights, so may I have this day off with my family? Besides, I would venture to say you can go to the store right now with your 1911 strapped to your belt, allowing everyone to see. I happen to be where it's against the law. So, if I wanted to make a real sacrifice, it would be here in the great state of Illinois.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    In my opinion, I gave 10 years in support for all rights, so may I have this day off with my family? Besides, I would venture to say you can go to the store right now with your 1911 strapped to your belt, allowing everyone to see. I happen to be where it's against the law. So, if I wanted to make a real sacrifice, it would be here in the great state of Illinois.

First off, I thank you for your service, as I also honorably served my country. My point of support wasn't directed at you specifically...I'm sure there are plenty that had situations, where even if they wanted to attend, timing and location simply made it impossible...but for many out here...:dunno:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I wasn't TRYING to start a pissing match. I was asking a genuine question. I thought what happened at the walk was made pretty clear. A bunch of guys and gals and kids walked down the side walk asking people if they would like to learn more about Indiana Gun Rights and what not. (Not those specific wordings either) Some had long guns, some hand pistols, I carried a flag, and a few people talked with us, some just took the flier and said thank you. We walked a little ways around downtown and back. That's it. No signs, no megaphone, none of that which would require a permit and paying to protest or whatever.

Now that you have, in detail, what happened, I ask again your opinion on what could be done differently.

Also, I wasn't saying that I want Fenway or anyone else to endorse the event or lend their name to it. The first event I thought it would be good to give people a place to go to learn more. Fenway didn't want anything to do with it, fine. And like Cru said, having someone like INGO "Sponsor" the event probably wouldn't be the best thing anyway. It would look too much like a money making stunt and take away from the message.

However, the only thing I think that could be done differently to make any positive difference is stated below.

Not much else you can change until more people get involved and try to engage with NON-gun owners. :dunno:

Okay, allow me to take a step back. The stated purpose of the event was to educate the masses. That education was defined as providing them the prepared flier/brochure. If the group believed that handing out 100 pieces of literature would be successful and that was done, great. If not, then next time, possibly a different date/location should be considered. That would have to be a discussion among those who attended. Maybe there wasn't very many people downtown? Maybe it was the weather that prevented prospective shoppers from being in the area.

The media proved to be very open and provided a fair report of the event. What can be done to keep those reporters on the side of 2A supporters moving forward?

As it relates to INGO support, there will never be 100% support of INGO members or those of any forum, concerning any event. So, are there different ways people can "support" an event? My fraternity has over 100,000 active members and all 100K does not support in the same fashion. We ask for support with Time, Talent, and Treasure. Everyone can give in one of these ways. Because I could not attend this event, I tried to give of my talent and contacted SJ many times. Moving forward, maybe there are other ways supporters who don't walk can be made to feel like a part of the event instead of being labeled an outsider for not attending. Besides, some people could have lost their jobs by being there. That is a different issue all together, but I believe it was better they not be there, for now.

That's all I can think of for now, but sorry if I was offended by your question.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom