• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    In regards to if I shouldve been drinking or not, frankly thats to my discretion as I and only I know what I can and cannot handle.
    Man, have I heard that one before...(usually from someone being visited at porter co jail...)

For what it's worth... I look at it this way. (And I always look at things as a self defense lawyer…)
    You carry a firearm for a reason and that is for your own self-defense. If for some reason there is An "incident" where you need to use the firearm, absolutely EVERYTHING BECOMES PART OF THE EVIDENCE and that includes BAC... So, you're not .08, maybe you're .06 or even .04... Do you really think a jury is going to use the same standard for carrying a firearm as driving a car?
    the question then becomes not whether you were physically impaired, but more so whether your JUDGMENT was impaired...

My personal rule when carrying. One beer or wine. And especially a mixed drink, like a margarita, ONE!!! One is a distinct clear number, that is easily presented and defined in court... not a couple, not a few... If it is over a longer period, than it would be one, maximum per hour.... ( yes, time it... Seems silly I know till you walk out of there and something happens...)
    A good general guideline for most people is to limit consumption of alcohol beverages to one drink (beer, wine or spirits) per hour

Face it guys/gals.... That's the tough part about the responsibility of carrying a firearm... The life/death responsibility...

incidentally, i was at the same Texas corral in portage for dinner with three other guys about three weeks ago. 2 of 4 OC, 2 CC.
    each had one beer and no questions/ concerns were voiced by anyone...

AIAAL/IANYL, YMMV

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Actually, more people have died in bars from guns, than cars. On the highway, more people have died from cars than guns. Ergo, don't be intoxicated with a firearm in a bar, and don't be intoxicated while driving a car on the highway.

He wasn't intoxicated and we have no indication he had planned on becoming intoxicated.
    I haven't heard of very many shootings in bars.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    As I stated numerous times. Had one margarita. Well 1/4 before asked to put it in my car. Didnt plan on having more than one either.

I'm not (and I don't think anyone else) was commenting on how much you drank/were planning on drinking. My comment, and what I believe some of the others are saying, was more towards the perception of those around you that drinking and carrying a firearm does not convey a positive image for responsible gun owners...That DOESN'T MEAN you were or had any inclinations to becoming irresponsible, but that is how it would be seen by someone; even those that are pro-gun.

I drink and carry, but I CC. No one is the wiser except myself, and I don't get drunk anymore unless I'm at home with friends. Those of us that choose to OC are representing the entire gun community. In fact one of the commonly used arguments for OC is to make the public get used to seeing firearms on the hips of responsible individuals...again I am not saying you were being irresponsible, but that is how most of the public (pro-gun or anti) would see it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He wasn't intoxicated and we have no indication he had planned on becoming intoxicated.
    I haven't heard of very many shootings in bars.

Talk to an attorney who represents bars. Shootings inside and in the parking lot, while not what you would call frequent, are not uncommon.

...but so what?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Soooo......you drove your car there, right? I wonder if Mr Manager objects to selling alcohol to his customers that drive? Does that make him " uncomfortable"? I find a certain amount of hypocrisy in Mr. Managers comment, and that of several posters up thread. So it's zero tolerance for alcohol and firearms, but under .08 bac and an automobile is cool?

Another nice thing about IN. Here in MI it is zero tolerance. (Well .02 might as well be zero.)

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I swear officer, I only had one drink... :):
    bigmarg.jpg

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    So, for the 'nay-sayers', what's next? No smoking while carrying?
    Oh wait, they're probably the same yabos that supported the 'no smoking' ban in Indiana, too. :gaychase:

Funny how these same yabos will say "I demand my rights, and 'you' must stick up for them as well!" That is, UNTIL it's something they don't 'like' (as in having a drink while carrying, which IS legal). That's EXACTLY what the anti-gun loons do. :wallbash:

What happened to all their hollow rhetoric about, "Well, if we let them restrict us not to carry for this (on campus, at school, whatever), THEN they'll make more restrictions and we won't be able to carry ANYWHERE! Stop 'em NOW!" :xmad:

Now, in this thread, the man's carrying legally, and ordering a drink, legally. But, it's 'okay' that the Manager tried to restrict him because he ordered an alcoholic drink? :bs:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Oh wait, they're probably the same yabos that supported the 'no smoking' ban in Indiana, too. :gaychase:

Funny how these same yabos will say "I demand my rights, and 'you' must stick up for them as well!" That is, UNTIL it's something they don't 'like' (as in having a drink while carrying, which IS legal). That's EXACTLY what the anti-gun loons do. :wallbash:

What happened to all their hollow rhetoric about, "Well, if we let them restrict us not to carry for this (on campus, at school, whatever), THEN they'll make more restrictions and we won't be able to carry ANYWHERE! Stop 'em NOW!" :xmad:

Now, in this thread, the man's carrying legally, and ordering a drink, legally. But, it's 'okay' that the Manager tried to restrict him because he ordered an alcoholic drink? :bs:

We each have different level of comfort with different things. I understand it's legal and I think it should be. However I'm not comfortable with it and that is why *I* would leave. I would not make a stink about it, not say anything, just leave.

The manager was not comfortable with it as well. He asked them to change what was going on in *HIS* property. It's his right to say something. It was his property, his rules.

The legality is not the issue here. I'm glad he has those options but also the manager has a right to say what goes on in his property.

Easter Sunday I was at the mall. I was asked to leave my firearm in my car, I chose to leave instead. I have carried openly in the mall many times prior. What made this time different? They asked me to disarm. *AS IS THEIR RIGHT*. My rights were not infringed, I was on their property.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage

:+1:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

You have a lot to understand about "rights" and private property... The latter trumping the former.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Everyone knows that OC is illegal in Texas.

In my mind, there's a big difference between carrying a gun and using it. It's akin sitting in a car and driving it.

Now, I'm not so dense to think that alcohol doesn't reduce the inhibition and judgement faculty, but one drink... come'on.

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    While I hate to say it, I have to agree with the manager. Now I'm as 2A friendly as the next guy, but the discretion of the business to choose under what circumstance it serves the public is as much of an inherent right as ours to carry firearms. With that being said, I do believe that if it is a company policy to not serve alcohol to those with firearms, it should be known by all the wait staff. If it's just the fact that the manager felt "uncomfortable", well then so be it. I believe you handeled yourself well and in an admirable manner. I would like to talk to the manager about how many people who CC he think he serves alcohol a week. I imagine for every one person who OC's there may be 5-10 who are CC'ing. Now I do believe we should treat carrying and consuming as we do driving and consuming. Both have lethal potential under different circumstances. Know yourself. Be responsible. The only reason I don't really drink while dining out is because of how expensive it has gotten. :( Maybe I'm just cheap.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    I don't have a issue with a establishment not feeling real comfortable with someone "packing" and drinking. Not saying your going to get drunk and shoot up the joint but I can understand the situation from the business side. Sounds like he had no issue with you carrying as long as you wasn't drinking. Very well played on your part also, especially regarding the waitress.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Talk to an attorney who represents bars. Shootings inside and in the parking lot, while not what you would call frequent, are not uncommon.

Spending 20+ years in the Detroit area it was almost a monthly event for Breaking News - Shooting at a Bar / Parking lot ... the funny part is it was usually Sports / Music "personalities" rather than Drug Dealers / Gangs

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    Spending 20+ years in the Detroit area it was almost a monthly event for Breaking News - Shooting at a Bar / Parking lot ... the funny part is it was usually Sports / Music "personalities" rather than Drug Dealers / Gangs

I would like to see statistic on how many involved liscensed individuals.

Top Bottom