• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im just wondering how do you guys that OC feel when someone is asking about your gun.

I dont OC but I would guess you dont mind otherwise it would be quite silly to have your gun in plain sight.
    But maybe it depends how and what the person asks about the gun.

Im not talking about the "why do you feel the need to carry that?" or "Is that legal?", "Are you a cop?" type of questions that you may not like to answer.

More like "What caliber/model/maker is that?" type of questions.

I just seen a couple of people OC and I always been curious about their guns but never knew if it was right to ask.

I figured some people may freak out and think its some questions prior to trying to take the gun away from you or whatnot. :dunno:

Im I crazy to think that?

How do you react when someone ask those questions?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I say ask away. The more people interested in your gun the better. That's a good way to get more people interested and involved in guns and carrying.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't mind at all, but I usually just get a compliment or they mention they didn't know you could carry a gun in public. I take that opportunity to educate them about our laws and make them more comfortable being around a "man with a gun".

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    If I were to OC I would definitely carry a nickel plated sissy pistol. I would be insulted if people didn't ask me about it. IMO OC is the best reason to get a Wilson or such type 1911.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I know (well more like hope) that im not going to get shot if I ask but I never felt like doing it even if im already curious.
    It doesnt say on my face that im a gun owner myself and not some kind of freak asking about guns because they cant legally own one.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I rarely OC (CC 95% of the time), but on the few occasions I've OC'd I've gotton pretty much a universal response:

First they ask, is that a real gun? (Of course it is, why would I carry a fake gun, especially open carry it).

Second, are you expecting trouble? In a few cases I've had my wits about me and responded like the story about the sheriff, who said "No, maam, if I was expecting troubled I have brought my rifle." In most cases though I've just politely said no, but that you never know when something unexpected might come up.

One person asked me if I was an undercover police officer, and another asked if I was in the military. I respectfully replied no to both of those and mentioned that I was just a normal citizen.

Most of the people usually finish the conversation by saying something like "I didn't know it was legal to carry a gun" or "Is it loaded?"

Nevery had anyone actually get mad or upset about it, and a few that acted like it was no big deal (which it isn't) and kept on talking about other things.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    My friends that OC like guns. If someone has a genuine interest in firearms and asks a questions they're more than ready to answer. Kinda like the guy with a cool car, he likes the car but he likes it more when he can talk about it! :ar15:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    The guards of our armored car company OC (duh, right?) and I've thought about asking them about what they're carrying. It's hit or miss though on whether I get the deposits for them or another manager does and also which guard it is. One has NO personality at all (I did get a smirk out of him when I called another manager Buttercup in front of him) while 2 other's are really nice guys.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've had numerous people ask me if I was a cop, and a few times people have asked if I'm in the military. I've also heard a few under-their-breath comments like "oh my gosh he has a gun" or "I've never seen anyone carry open like that." Other than that, most comments come friends of friends that I meet, wondering if its actually legal. Its always nice to inform them that it is.

So far no one has asked about the gun itself, but I think a lot of people know what a glock looks like.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've had numerous people ask me if I was a cop, and a few times people have asked if I'm in the military. I've also heard a few under-their-breath comments like "oh my gosh he has a gun" or "I've never seen anyone carry open like that." Other than that, most comments come friends of friends that I meet, wondering if its actually legal. Its always nice to inform them that it is.

So far no one has asked about the gun itself, but I think a lot of people know what a glock looks like.

Glocks make me curious.I know quite a bit about them but unless you read the model number on the slide they look all the same.
    So I would probably ask you what model you carry? :)

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    i carry a picture of my gun on my cell phone so i can show off my gun without touching it in public

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I've had people asking me if I was a cop since long before I started to carry. Must just be that kind of ugly.

The only response when someone asks why do you carry a gun is " Why don't you?" It starts the conversation off with a thought provoker and takes the pressure off. Then you can engage in real meaningful conversation and educate folks about their second amendment rights, local laws and the basic fact that we live in a very dangerous world.
    :twocents:

Top Bottom