• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    OC has never been my issue, but I read with interest all the threads about people getting hassled in stores and either talking to management or just vowing never to shop there again. Why not use the power of the INGO membership to take a more active stance?

I suggest that someone open a thread about this where the rules of the thread are that if you get hassled in a store, or perhaps even by a police department, your task is to now get the name and mailing and emailing address of every store manager, or every police station or police chief from wherever you're hassled and post it. Then others on INGO would be encouraged to drop an email or letter to that business and tell them why you won't be shopping there, or in the case of the police, why they are violating IN law.

Some of the better writers here could post sample letters that could be used.

It seems like it would be a lot more effective than just not going back, which to most of these stores is a drop in the bucket anyway. Also, it occurs to me that eventually the odds are that you'll run into enough stupid employees at enough places that you won't have anywhere to shop.

Be fair, though. Treat all the gun shops who don't allow firearms the same.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OC has never been my issue, but I read with interest all the threads about people getting hassled in stores and either talking to management or just vowing never to shop there again. Why not use the power of the INGO membership to take a more active stance?

I suggest that someone open a thread about this where the rules of the thread are that if you get hassled in a store, or perhaps even by a police department, your task is to now get the name and mailing and emailing address of every store manager, or every police station or police chief from wherever you're hassled and post it. Then others on INGO would be encouraged to drop an email or letter to that business and tell them why you won't be shopping there, or in the case of the police, why they are violating IN law.

Some of the better writers here could post sample letters that could be used.

It seems like it would be a lot more effective than just not going back, which to most of these stores is a drop in the bucket anyway. Also, it occurs to me that eventually the odds are that you'll run into enough stupid employees at enough places that you won't have anywhere to shop.

Be fair, though. Treat all the gun shops who don't allow firearms the same.

I like the idea because it is pro-active and give the potential for improving things. The down side is that it will require a great deal of work by the folks who are hassled. If the "hassled" are willing to make the effort, I would be willing to send an appropriate letter.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I'm always game, but being hassled is not a super frequent occurence in my experience. I have OCed a LOT in the past 2-3 years, and I rarely get any comments about my gun. And most of the time when I do, the comments are positive.

The thread should be similar to the "Where did you OC today?", but it should be more strict in it's content as in, "Where did you get hassled for OCing today?"

Always, a disclaimer barring OC vs CC comments needs to be added, because those arguments take place everywhere else.

Will-IB-Ready

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Up here, we have a group called Michigan Open Carry. They do a great job of standing up for gun rights. For instance, if someone is getting harassed for OC, or if some municipality illegally declares public property a PFZ, they will fight (and often win) in court or just by letter writing/protesting etc.

But one thing they do that I think has been helpful, is to hold "Open Carry Picnics" around the state. They get a lot of publicity for it, which allows them to get the truth out, and help educate the public.

Do you guys have anything like this going on?

I OC on a regular basis, but I live in a small town way up north, and haven't had a single negative encounter that I can complain about.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    An OC picnic...with an add in the paper advertizing such a thing would get the word out...and the media perhaps as well.

How about a Sticky of places where people have been tossed from for all to see. The establishment can be notified that they are on the list for thousands of gun-owners to see. Perhaps they will realize their bottom line will be impacted.

A group of several form letters that people can choose from to send. Several because varying letters may have a stronger effect...implies they may be coming from different groups perhaps. (not sure about this)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Define AntiOCandAlwaysLookingForaFightAboutIt.

IMO, this post was uncalled for.

I believe he was asking a serious question. How do you define "hassle"?
    There have been several threads where there wasn't any hassling. Very few where there was.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    This.

If you're talking about the BW3 event, IMO, that's borderline, and shouldn't be counted as hassling.

Hmmmm.....DURING his meal he was asked to either cover it up or put it in the car or else they were calling the police.

I don't like to be [strike]bothered[/strike] HASSLED while I'm eating. I'd count it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Even the OP said both him and the manager was polite. And even admitted there could have been other factors in play to cause him to come to the table.

No hassling. Just borderline.

If cops were called before the manager talked to him, that would be hassling.

AND the manager never told him to leave.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    has·sle (h
    abreve.gif
    s
    prime.gif
    schwa.gif
    l) Informal
    n. 1. An argument or a fight.
    2. Trouble; bother.

Even though it was civil, there was still a disagreement. The OP in that thread was bothered while he was eating. It fits the definition, nothing will change that.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    has·sle (h
    abreve.gif
    s
    prime.gif
    schwa.gif
    l) Informal
    n. 1. An argument or a fight.
    2. Trouble; bother.

Even though it was civil, there was still a disagreement. The OP in that thread was bothered while he was eating. It fits the definition, nothing will change that.

It bothers me when a tall fat guy sits in front of me at the movie theater. It even bothers me when someone talks on a cell phone in a restaurant.
    Those people don't care if they are being troublesome.

The manager, I don't think he was trying to bother the OP. Like I said, the OP said the manager was polite. And admitted there were probably other factors in play. Again, I would consider it borderline. And would not count it.

The thread about St John, THATS hassling.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    It bothers me when a tall fat guy sits in front of me at the movie theater. It even bothers me when someone talks on a cell phone in a restaurant.
    Those people don't care if they are being troublesome.

That's your arguement?

OK. :n00b:

Maybe the movie theatre manager should ask the tall fat guy to go on a diet.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That's your arguement?

OK. :n00b:

Maybe the movie theatre manager should ask the tall fat guy to go on a diet.

No, my agument is what the OP said. I've mentioned it twice now.

Look, no matter what we both say, we're both going to disagree. Let's just agree to disagree, and you positive rep me. ;)

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    No, my agument is what the OP said. I've mentioned it twice now.

Look, no matter what we both say, we're both going to disagree. Let's just agree to disagree, and you positive rep me. ;)

I've done that in the past, and even gave you a badge. You never said thank you or returned the favor.....SO, NO! :p

Top Bottom