• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    As to the moral obligation question....I do feel morally obligated to protect myself and my family.

I do not feel the same way about helping people I do not know. I may or may not be willing to do so, but that will be dependent on the situation.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I have a moral obligation to protect my family. No one else. Most everybody has the ability to get their LTCH and carry a gun to protect themselves. They have chosen not to do so, and I don't feel any obligation whatsoever to cover for their lack of foresight, and their failure to carry out what I, personally, see as the duty of all free citizens.

I would, just cause that's the kind of guy I am. But I feel no moral obligation to do so, and will not look down on someone who does not choose to come to the defense of others. Those "others" chose not to protect themselves, they will not be the ones picking up the tab for any legal fees. They will go on about their lives, while whoever pulls the trigger to cover their complacent butts will be getting put through the ringer.

Where exactly is this moral obligation and the lack there of coming from?:dunno:.....just curious.

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    Our founding fathers wrote extensively as to the fact that all Americans have the obligation or duty to be armed at all times for the security of their selves, their family, their friends and neighbors, their city or town and state and country as well as against a tyrannical government.

It is everyone’s duty and obligation to be armed at all times.

The candidate for Sherriff in my county even stated the same ideas emphatically in the meet the candidate event held here a few days ago.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the key point he's making is too many people who are allowed to carry them... don't.

That's one of the things I like about you Hickman... You said in one sentence what Nutnfancy took 17 minutes to ramble about. I have a lot of respect for Nutnfancy, but think he takes the long road around the mountain to make his point. It's tough to find common ground in terms of morals now days. The media has bombarded so many with a distorted view of morality that it's up to each of us to figure out for ourselves what we are morally obligated to do.

Here in Indiana, you need a license to carry your handgun to the range, be it a sporting license or self defense. The fact that most people just opt for the personal protection license may not obligate them to carry if they are only in it for the sport. Having the license is just one step in carrying. You also need to add skill and knowledge before you carry and carrying without those endangers everyone.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    For my part, I do feel that I have a moral obligation to defend those who need it, within my abilities.

This doesn't mean I'm gonna toss on a cape and roam the city seeking out evil doers, but if I happen to be present when someone is being attacked or threatened, if its within my ability to help, I feel that I have an obligation to do so.

I'm not a cop, but I'm a decent enough human being, and I do have a little empathy and compassion rattling around in me.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    For my part, I do feel that I have a moral obligation to defend those who need it, within my abilities.

This doesn't mean I'm gonna toss on a cape and roam the city seeking out evil doers, but if I happen to be present when someone is being attacked or threatened, if its within my ability to help, I feel that I have an obligation to do so.

I'm not a cop, but I'm a decent enough human being, and I do have a little empathy and compassion rattling around in me.

:thumbsup:....I feel the same way. I would not be able to ignore a cry for help. It's just not in me. Obligation really isn't even the word for it. It's more like natural reaction.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So what are those ignorant points again?:dunno:

Well the fact that he said we permit owning, and gun carrying citizens have a moral obligation to protect others for one. Me, and my family come first. I'm not going to put my own life in jeopardy, to save someone else's life. Now I know it's totally situational. I'm not a cop, it's not my job. Also though I agree it's kind of silly to have a permit, and not carry. Who is he to say, that if someone chooses not to. That it's their moral obligation to do so. Last time I checked we are free to do so, or not. That's the two main points, I thought where ignorant. Sorry, but I just think this guy is way overzealous personally.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    How about this as a more basic question that gets to the heart of this issue: Do we have a moral obligation to preserve the life of ourselves and others? That's the crux here.

I would say "yes." If you have the physical ability to defend your life against someone who is will to take it for their own gain, then I believe that it is morally wrong to NOT defend yourself. You are admitting that the criminal's life is worth more than yours.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    not a huge fan of his reviews. Sometimes he has some off the wall veiw points. One video he talks about not carrying a handgun with more than 10 rounds capacity because it will look like over kill. Hmm..

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    A Constitutional Right, A Social Obligation

If you haven't yet, I strongly encourage you all to read Robert Boatman's famous essay, "The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun", which is available here from the United States Concealed Carry Association.

I read his article when I was first getting into gun ownership and carry, and it really helped me understand the importance of always having my gun with me. This particular paragraph especially drove home what it meant to carry.

Carrying a loaded gun with the ability and will to use it is not a casual fling meant to bring some excitement into your boring life. It is an all-embracing lifestyle and must take precedence over your respect for law, your fear of social criticism, your love of humanity, your wardrobe and your drinking habits. You can never be unaware of the weight you carry on your hip or under your arm. You can never forget your responsibilities. You must wear your Glock with the same allegiance as your wedding ring. If you're not married, your Glock is your wedding ring. Wear it for life. Don't even think about leaving home without it. Be prepared to use it at a moment's notice. Carry it all the time. And shoot to kill.
    (emphasis added)

I do recognize that we've established in other threads that "shoot to kill" isn't the best expression. "Shoot to stop" would be better, but the point is made.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom