• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So obama thinks he is king? what a surprise. so CONGRESS, why dont you all get out the tweezers and pull your nuts back out and cut funding to this tyrant and traitor of our republic? matter of fact, turn off the lights in the white house!
    The house already voted to end funding for his Libya adventure. Now we just have to see if the senate has the balls to back 'em up. Not going to hold my breath on that one, tho.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The guidelines are well-established by now. If you're a Democrat, you have no need to go to Congress or anyone else to take military action. If you're a Republican, you need Congress, multiple resolutions from the UN, and dozens of other countries supporting you.

Oh my my, deplorable. Who was the rotten scoundrel in office when these rules were put in place giving the imperial high president all these powers?

I’m so flustered, my spelling / typing is atrocious. No excuse though, one must keep a cool head even in times of adversity.

You violated your rule on responding to posts with "ifs."

I think Obama and McCain (mostly) have this right.

If Congress doesn't like it, cut the funding. As CinC, the Pres can deploy troops almost entirely in his discretion IMHO.

Separation of Powers FTW.

Playing devil's advocate here--because I'm not firmly seated on either side of this fence yet--what's the point of granting Congress the ability to declare war if no such declaration is needed to prosecute one? And let's be honest: where there is combat, there is war, on some level (unless it's a purely defensive act, which excepting WW2 and Japan, none have been). Where's the separation of powers for Congress to protect the people if the Pres gets it in his head to invade a sovereign nation for the hell of it? Oh, sure, Congress can withhold funding, but by then the damage is done, and it would take a miracle not to have to commit troops to head off the retaliatory actions of said nation. At which point, hey, we're at war. That didn't work out too well, did it?

I don't see where CiC status grants unlimited authority to use. To command, perhaps. But to implement, I don't know.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I think Obama and McCain (mostly) have this right.

If Congress doesn't like it, cut the funding. As CinC, the Pres can deploy troops almost entirely in his discretion IMHO.

Separation of Powers FTW.
    I agree with T. Lex. The War Powers Resolution of 1973, enacted over Nixon's veto, basically gives the Commander in Chief 90 days to prosecute a war, without Congress. Obama is not the first president to get caught sideways over this. Many believe, as CinC, the president doesn't need Congress' approval. There are people on both sides who question its constitutionality, but in almost 40 years no has been concerned enough to challenge it before SCOTUS.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Every President has taken the position that the Act is unConstitutional. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on this one to be concluded.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anti-war Left?

There you go again! There is no anti-war Left, just anti-Republican Left.:D

The Left lurves them some war as war calls for centralization of power and resources.

That darn Obama. If only a Republican was in office, this wouldn't be happening. Oh wait. Ya, it would.

Two sides of the same coin.

Top Bottom