• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't know that the Professor ought to have been arrested./QUOTE]

Dr., that's what the civil suit will decide. However, I do know that I believe it was premature (to say the least) and politically improper for the President, who is a lawyer and should have known better, to comment on the behavior of the police without hearing all the evidence.

I've been really cheesed at the police a couple times in the last couple of years too, but I always remember that one's tongue, even if you are in the right, can write checks for which you may have insufficient funds.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If a black cop would have responded, would this have gone differently? Would he have been thanked for checking up to make sure the residence was safe when a neighbor phone in what looked like a break-in?

Is the lady a racist for reporting what looked like a break-in?

Such a crock of crap this is...

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Although the police report is only one side of the story, Cambridge doesnt strike me as a hotbed of racism and I doubt this millionaire prof is living in the ghetto either. The professor certainly played every race card he could to exacerbate a situation that could have been easily resolved with cool heads on both sides. Im not surprised to see that kind of behavior from these so called "leaders" due to their overblown egos. The cop could have certainly handled the situation better at multiple stages of the incident as well. No winners in this situation.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    If a black cop would have responded, would this have gone differently? Would he have been thanked for checking up to make sure the residence was safe when a neighbor phone in what looked like a break-in?

Is the lady a racist for reporting what looked like a break-in?

Such a crock of crap this is...
    Of course it would have been different, the prof couldnt have played the race card. With that said, there was a black cop at the scene if you look at some pictures of the arrest. Im know that minorities face terrible and unjust profiling at times, but I just dont feel that this cop had it out to get this black man for his skin color. :dunno:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've been really cheesed at the police a couple times in the last couple of years too, but I always remember that one's tongue, even if you are in the right, can write checks for which you may have insufficient funds.

This is not a comment on the Harvard incident, just Kirk's comment, "contempt of cop" still should not be the basis for an arrest, even if you are being an a**h*le to them. [FN 1]

[FN 1] I've known a lot of professors and they are, white and black or whatever, invariably egotistical a**h*les.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    She went on to tell me that she observed what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the porch of• Ware Street. She told me that her suspicions were aroused when she observed one of the men wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry.

Gates told me that the door was un securable due to a previous break attempt at the residence. Shortly thereafter, a Harvard University maintenance person arrived on scene and appeared familiar with Gates. I asked Gates if he was comfortable with this Harvard University maintenance person securing his residence. He told me that he was.

Does this seem a bit odd to anyone else?

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    From the police report.

Prominent black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr:
    “ya, I’ll speak with your mama outside”

Kinda strikes me as a strange reply from a highly educated University professor to make ;)

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Sgt. Crowely is screwed. In my opinion he arrested the man because he was embarrassed in front of his peers. Really? the acoustics in the house were bad? BS! Was the guy a RICHARD? Sure sounds like it, but that isn't a reason to be arrested. He was in his own house, as soon as Sgt. Crowely ascertained that the call wasn't a burglary he should have left.

The police report says he left because Gates was yelling and he was unable to radio information back to dispatch clearly because of it.

As soon as the police showed up Gates shouldn't have assumed he was a racist bigot. All it would have take was a state issued identification card from Gates to solve the matter and send the officer on his way. No it cannot ever be that simple, you have to drag race into it and refuse cooperation.

I see a huge difference in refusing cooperation and refusing cooperation while making a scene out of it. The officer acted appropriately, and judging by the police report he was leaving as soon as he ascertained it was not a robbery. However Gates HAD to have the last word. At which point he was no longer inside the house but in view of the public.

Sorry I don't feel bad for this overzealous racist. (Gates) Because he is the only one who showed any form of racism judging from that police report.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The officer in his police report stated that he told Gates that if he wanted to discuss it further to come outside. That is a trap. I've heard of guys getting PI while riding passenger in a car before. The officer told a guy to step out of the car. The guy said no because as soon as I do, you will arrest me for PI. He finally got out and they arrested him for it.

I totally agree that Gates is a douche bag but he should have been smart enough to never leave his front door.

ETA: Don't forget that the police report is that particular officer's version of the story. What I'd like to know is how the officer got into the house. You'd think Gates would never have let him in if he thought the cop was racist.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I find it a little telling that, by this professor's own web biography, Gates' livelyhood seems to depend on promoting racial differences.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Department of African and African American Studies at Harvard University

I find it a little telling that all Obama's friends are racists and radicals.

300h.jpg

“Yeah, I’ll speak with your mama outside!”
    -Henry Gates, Harvard Professor of African American Studies

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Gates was/is an a$$hole, next time someone breaks into his house the police should help them carry stuff out.

Obama calls this guy a friend, I guess I am really surprised considering that he is friends with Reverend Wright. Obama says black and Hispanic men are stopped all the time, true, whats the current jail population ratio?

I think the cop had to arrest him because Gates was going to start a whole bunch of crap anyway, at least this way it does not look like the cop is trying to hide anything and I am pretty sure Gates was disorderly.

How come Gates neighbor did not recognize him? He must have made all kinds of friends in town, maybe he says stuff about their mothers too. Great example of a Harvard Professor.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Racism

I only know what I have read about the event and the information is not totally clear, but our president is definitely showing some signs of racism in both this case and his recent speech to the NAACP and even during his campaign when he was out looking for minority votes. Probably just a typical politician who has an axe to grind with our country. He really needs to stay out of local affairs.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I agree, this is BS.

You should flavor coffee with burbon, not tequila :n00b:

I don't have any bourbon handy right now, and I have a keg of tequila in my kitchen. I will pick some up at the liquor store this weekend. Jim Beam?

I just read the police report:

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009

Now, I am irate! There are so many expletives I want to type, but I am afraid of the wrath of Mods.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Obama declares this a case of "Racial Profiling" even though the man wasn't singled out on the street - he was questioned as the police arrived to an address to investigate a possible break in.

Get over yourself, Gates.

0723092inside1.jpg

Top Bottom