• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Found this pretty interesting, looking for some clarity, I'm betting the administration is going to ban rifle caliber pistols, as the article calls them "High powered handguns" and to me that means = AR & AK pistols and similar, but don't count on them limiting it to just AR and AK pattern type guns.

Also looking to see them strip military vets of their gun rights if they seek help for PTSD and similar disorders.

Its all masked/cloaked in the wording of the article.

Follow the link to the story >>> Administration preps new gun regulations | TheHill

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Deja vu. He can propose things and appeal to his base all he wants. I'm predicting we don't see much change. Same as the proposed AWB, same as the squawking over the UN Small Arms Treaty. This will be another "See guys? I really really tried" that certain Dems can use to attack Repubs during upcoming elections and try to make them uncomfortable. "Incumbent Republican Person, did you REALLY block key legislation to keep guns out of the hands of lunatics? Do you want armed lunatics?"

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Deja vu. He can propose things and appeal to his base all he wants. I'm predicting we don't see much change. Same as the proposed AWB, same as the squawking over the UN Small Arms Treaty. This will be another "See guys? I really really tried" that certain Dems can use to attack Repubs during upcoming elections and try to make them uncomfortable. "Incumbent Republican Person, did you REALLY block key legislation to keep guns out of the hands of lunatics? Do you want armed lunatics?"

Any step for gun control is a real threat. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The new regulations appear to be being imposed by "rule" through the BATFE.

No need to have a public vote.

Justice Department basically issues new rules, ATF enforces those new rules, we live under those new rules. We get screwed and we cannot vote out the culprits because the ones who give us the rules are political appointees.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The new regulations appear to be being imposed by "rule" through the BATFE.

No need to have a public vote.

Justice Department basically issues new rules, ATF enforces those new rules, we live under those new rules. We get screwed and we cannot vote out the culprits because the ones who give us the rules are political appointees.
    It's been painfully obvious to anyone that's been paying attention that the BATFE is not above being used for political purposes. The agency is a sham that needs to be dissolved.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's been said many times before, but there are two quotes that apply particularly to this administration that acts like a dictatorship:
    1) When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is freedom.
    2) Fear the government that fears your guns.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't bet too heavily on the idea that "he's on his way out". He has clearly shown that he has no use whatsoever for the accepted rules and customs of the United States. Think Congress could stop him if he decided to declare a national emergency and martial law and suspend the election?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    How about Congress introduce a law that SS detachments to ex-presidents and Congressmen must comply with all local and State laws on possession of firearms, with no LE exemption? That might shut him up...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    How about Congress introduce a law that SS detachments to ex-presidents and Congressmen must comply with all local and State laws on possession of firearms, with no LE exemption? That might shut him up...

Which President would sign that law? Congress can introduce something. Both Houses can pass it. But it still has to be signed by the President. Why would he do so?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Which President would sign that law? Congress can introduce something. Both Houses can pass it. But it still has to be signed by the President. Why would he do so?

He wouldn't. That's precisely the point. Once he vetoes, he has to shut his pie hole about gun control.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I was going to just kneejerk respond without reading the article, but after thinking about decided that would be unfair to the OP who went to the trouble of posting it in the first place. So I was going to read the article, learn the details, then make a hopefully rational, logical, reasonable post in response.

After reading the article I find myself still in the dark. It says extremely little and seems to be a "let's poke the hornets nest" piece without any information.

The article gave two (2) vague facts:

#1) The regulation would make it illegal for "someone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense to own a gun."
    #2) The ATF is looking to prohibit the mentally ill from owning firearms.

That's it, and with that no details as to any forms of appeal, which may or may not coalesce. There is no evidence to suggest that there wouldn't be an appeals process for people. Nor is there any evidence to suggest there would be an appeals process. Simply put, lots of guessing with no real facts to intelligently discuss.

In other words, the story could have been condensed into "Thar commin' ta git yer guns!!! Panic! Scream! Run around like a chicken wit yer head chopped off!" I think that would have about covered it while saving space and we could have had the same results.

I shall wait for further details before trying to weigh in.

Regards,

Doug

PS - The gun manufacturers and ammo makers must really love stories like this!

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Politicians would be dumb not to have arms related companies in their portfolio. They know the prices are going up before we do. These low info stories drive the hype And ammo inflation and gun sales. I would love to know who in Washington has gotten very rich since O took office. Or even since Clinton.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    To All,

I was going to just kneejerk respond without reading the article, but after thinking about decided that would be unfair to the OP who went to the trouble of posting it in the first place. So I was going to read the article, learn the details, then make a hopefully rational, logical, reasonable post in response.

After reading the article I find myself still in the dark. It says extremely little and seems to be a "let's poke the hornets nest" piece without any information.

The article gave two (2) vague facts:

#1) The regulation would make it illegal for "someone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense to own a gun."
    #2) The ATF is looking to prohibit the mentally ill from owning firearms.

That's it, and with that no details as to any forms of appeal, which may or may not coalesce. There is no evidence to suggest that there wouldn't be an appeals process for people. Nor is there any evidence to suggest there would be an appeals process. Simply put, lots of guessing with no real facts to intelligently discuss.

In other words, the story could have been condensed into "Thar commin' ta git yer guns!!! Panic! Scream! Run around like a chicken wit yer head chopped off!" I think that would have about covered it while saving space and we could have had the same results.

I shall wait for further details before trying to weigh in.

Regards,

Doug

PS - The gun manufacturers and ammo makers must really love stories like this!

There is always a back-story where the feds, esp. the ATF, are involved. What if the person got a pre-trial diversion and not a conviction for DB? The feds often count these as convictions. Would it be retroactive?

As to mental-health issues, we all know the Soviets were very good at expanding the definition of mental illness to anyone who opposed the government. Some liberals would like to label climate-change deniers as mentally-ill. Others think you have to be mentally ill to want to own a gun.

Let's keep the camel at a respectable distance from the tent, please...

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    It seems to me it's almost like winter time weather forecast anymore...they claim 10 inches of snow, everybody panics and buys milk and bread, and we end up with a half a inch. They scream ammo ban, everyone stocks up on ammo, nothing happens. I think Obama has lost respect from most of Congress, and most of our citizens, so anything he proposes will have a difficult time going anywhere further than the trash can next to his desk.

Top Bottom