• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I wonder if the new hardware will come with appropriately upgraded training? I have noticed most of the IMPD officers I've seen recently, as well as Fishers PD officers seem to have Tasers in cross draw holsters on their weak side.

Here's the buzz: NYPD should outfit cops with TASERS, says Rand Corp.
    BY ALISON GENDAR
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, June 9th 2008, 10:39 AM

Bloomberg News

The think-tank was hired by Ray Kelly in the aftermath of the fatal Sean Bell shooting.
    The NYPD should outfit rank-and-file cops with TASERS, according to a think-tank that reviewed NYPD' firearms training following the fatal Sean Bell shooting.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly hired the high-powered Rand Corp. to review the NYPD weapons training six weeks after five officers fired a combinded 50 rounds at an unarmed man in Jamaica.

"If the NYPD had a broader deployment of more robust less-than-lethal standoff weapons, such as TASER devices, it might not only prevent some incidents from escalating to deadly force, but might also reduce injuries to officers and citizens alike," the study found.

The study recommended the department issue all patrol officers TASERS in a pilot program.

Currently, the department has about 500 TASERS in use by the departments 3,500 patrol sergeants. Last week, the NYPD changed its policy so sergeants on patrol would carry the TASER on their hip, as opposed to in their squad car.

Expanding the use of TASERS was one of a list of recommendations Rand Corp. suggested after a review of the NYPD's firearms training and shooting review process.

Kelly asked Rand to find ways to combat "contagious" shootings, where officers open fire once a fellow officer shoots.

The study, paid for by the Police Foundation, did not probe the Bell shooting itself.

But the review did incorporate information unearthed by the Queens trial of three of teh officers involved in the fatal Nov. 25, 2006 encounter.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It has to be done...

donttazemebro.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Given NYPD's track record for "marksmanship," I'm curious how they're going to actually get the probes from the taser into the person they want to taser. I'm thinking they'll be better off just using the "drive" mode from contact distance. :D

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've read the NYPD doesn't put their officers through a lot of ongoing training. Maybe it's tough with 10 billion police officers.

Since citizens aren't allowed to carry guns in NYC, why do the cops even need guns? They should turn in their Glocks and just utilize the tasers. After all, nobody else will have guns, right?

Top Bottom