• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have tried to get into hiking/backpacking a couple times over the years, but can never really seem to find people that enjoy hiking and camping as much as I do. I figured since its winter and there's some down time that I could do some small planning for this spring and summer.

What I was wondering is if there are any other people around the area that would be interested in getting a small group together to begin hiking the northern part of the state?

Once we get a good group together, and get a few hikes, up here, under our belts I figure we can venture southward to find some different scenery and terrian. We could even throw in some kayaking, rafting, or other outdoor activities that lend themselves to the backpacking/camping theme.

Like I said I am just reaching out for a feeler though, but I figure if I get some response we could get a google group going to get some ideas out and make some plans for 2011.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    My wife and I like it, but are currently somewhat restricted with our youngest being 3. The 7 and 9 are pretty good to go (most of the time.) We have done a few great hikes/backpacking trips pre-kids, so if you need ideas hit me up. I'll send you to Denali, the Smokies, the Rockies, Canyonlands NP...man I miss that stuff!

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I like to do short day hikes with my daughter if that counts. She is to young and I am to out of shape for any long hiking. I might be interested depending on how close to home they are.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    How far North in Indiana are you? Some of the best fairweather hiking I've had around here is North of us in Michigan. Check out the Manistee River Trail sometime, you won't be disappointed.

Bob Hock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    I have been wanting to experiment with ultralight backpacking and cold weather backpacking and have tried to find others in IN! I am just cautious because there are many things to learn and I have read of even experienced getting into serious situations!

Heck Yeah. I’m located in Porter County, Let me know!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Turkey Run is a good place to get your legs at. its not that far from NWI take all your ultralight gear, strap it on, and start walking the trails, it gives you a good example of the kinda stuff you will see in indiana, everything from flat to climbing over rocks and such. for the camping part, Road Trip down to Knobstone Trail on an extended weekend. That will test your skills and gear.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    North-central/NE Indiana. Some hiking/backpacking experience. There are some good trails up here but most hiking/backpacking opportuniites in IN seem to be in the southern parts of the State. Michigan has soem good ones, too! One of my favorites in the North Manitou Island Wilderness area. south Manitou may be nice, too, but I've never been there. Have several guides to Indiana. PM or email me and I'll try to get you a list. This spring and summer may not be good for me interms of free time for this stuff, but should be in better shape for it by the Fall. Twin daughters are graduating HS this year so once htey are out of the house things may jsut free up a bit!

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    winter down time? You've never camped in the winter before?

I like camping and hiking, I'm in Elkhart. Always looking for someone to camp with. Most people and my kid just like car camping. Where you drive to the manicured site and unload a car full of stuff and make it like sitting at home but with bugs lol.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm in indy, but i'd be in. I've done a bit of backpacking in the smokies/app trail and I'm always up for adventure.

If you come up with anything, feel free to shoot me a pm.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I am getting into it now. I just bought a lot of gear. I am going on a week long backpack hunt in the bitterroot selway wilderness in april. It is all unguided so I would like to hit up a few one or two day hikes before that. Let me know if you want to go I live south or fort wayne .

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Try Indiana Dunes State Park on Rt. 20 in Chesterton. Lots of hills to train on if you start at the Main parking lot and work your way East.and the sand is an added stress when trainng.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    How far North in Indiana are you? Some of the best fairweather hiking I've had around here is North of us in Michigan. Check out the Manistee River Trail sometime, you won't be disappointed.

We backpack as a couple (Jodi and I) and the whole family. We went to the Manistee park twice in 2010. We have a couple more trails planned and Jodi and the kids are preparing for 2012 through hike on the AP. I'll come and go, but 6 months is to long for to take off work for the through hike.

Here are some pics from the Manistee trail on facebook. This trail can be completed in one LONG day, usually two days. We streched out to 2 1/2 days so we could wander around off the trail. About 4 hours north of the IN/MI state line. We highly recommend as one of the must go quick trails (under 100 miles). We hiked about 25-27 miles visiting campground between NCT and Manistee trail.

Login | Facebook

Login | Facebook

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Brian:

Looks like you had a nice trip. What time of year were you up there?

The two of us went in June. Weather was great and never went below 40 at night.

The second trip with the kids was in Sep. A bit cooler and nights got into the mid 30's.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    winter down time? You've never camped in the winter before?

I like camping and hiking, I'm in Elkhart. Always looking for someone to camp with. Most people and my kid just like car camping. Where you drive to the manicured site and unload a car full of stuff and make it like sitting at home but with bugs lol.

I've camped in winter before. Granted I wasn't out backpacking in the snow, but I've done the "car camping" thing in the winter. I have a very warm sleeping bag, and was quite comfortable.

I am getting into it now. I just bought a lot of gear. I am going on a week long backpack hunt in the bitterroot selway wilderness in april. It is all unguided so I would like to hit up a few one or two day hikes before that. Let me know if you want to go I live south or fort wayne .

Yea I really don't know what all to get in terms of gear. That's what I want to do some hikes with some other backpackers and get some tips and pointers.

I have my normal camping gear, but I know a lot of that isn't effective for backpacking and I don't have a lot of hiking gear....so yea....

Try Indiana Dunes State Park on Rt. 20 in Chesterton. Lots of hills to train on if you start at the Main parking lot and work your way East.and the sand is an added stress when trainng.

I've hiked the dunes a lot when I was younger, but probably not in the last 10 years. Might be a good starting point if we can get some people together.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Its starting to warm up a tad bit. I know I've talked to 1 or 2 of you, is there still interest? I wouldn't mind meeting up somewhere and discussing gear and other ideas, maybe a show and tell...just spitballin here.

Top Bottom