• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Not trying to throw a damper on things, but are you sure that the range rules and the RSO will allow the shooting from the standing, kneeling or sitting and/or prone positions? From what I know they allow standing, but not too sure on the other positions. Might wanna find out beforehand in case they don't allow it and you can make alternate plans. :dunno:

Unless something changed over the winter months, I don't anticipate a problem. I have been going there for a couple of years and have always been allowed to shoot from all four positions (standing/kneeling/sitting/prone), even on crowded, busy days. Of course, it makes sense that you would only try these positions at the 50 and 100 yard ranges. It's standing only at the 25 yard range but we weren't planning on using that one.

I know that the RSO at Willow Slough will NOT allow anything besides sitting at the bench or standing at the table because of the concrete "curb" in front of the shooting positions. He's afraid that a less than careful shooter might put a round into the curb and cause a ricochet. (Though, he has allowed me to use the various positions when I was the only shooter.) I should have ruled out WS as an option because of that in my original post.

-Deuce

If that date holds, you can definetely count me in.

COF sounds like fun. Are you picturing bullseye or siloutte targets?

Right now, I was planning on bullseye targets for the 50 yard line and I am considering silhoutte targets (with scoring rings) for the 100 yard line. We might just have to bring both and decide that day. I will bring the tragets.

Another thing ...

All are welcome. Even if you don't want to join the friendly match, you can join us to sight in your rifle. Hopefully we can find a knowledgeable person amongst us to assist you.

Yes, March 24th is pretty much a lock for me. Rain or shine I will be there unless any personal/family emergency arises.

groundhog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Munster
    I wish I could make it but I will definetly be out of town. :(
    I hope to join in on another shoot in the future. Have fun all!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    It's been a hectic week and a half (illness, injury, lack of sleep, etc) but I am still good for this Thursday (Mar 24th). I plan on being there around 10 am CDT (Chicago time).

No need to post anything here or check in with me. If you plan on coming, grab what you got and show up. Long range forecast currently calls for cold (mid-thirties to forty degrees) and possible [strike]rain[/strike] snow showers. Plan accordingly. I'll bring the targets. I'm working on a way to waterproof the paper targets.

Oh yes ... there is a $4 range fee for the day.

Last edited:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Slide the bull's eye targets into gallon zip lock bags. Depending on how much you will shoot, buy a few boxes. For full silhouettes, double over plastic wrap for a cheap fix--seal with packing tape.

That's what Martha Stewart does...

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I was actually thinking of buying a can of clear coat (cheapest I can find) and giving the targets a quick coat. I know it works on cardboard targets. I don't know if the paper ones will curl up though when I spray them. I might just go the zip lock bag route.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Clear coat might work on paper. Sporting goods stores sell a water-proofing spray for sneakers. If you use packing tape over the area where the staples will go and spray the rest with the water-proof, you should be good to go. I've used it on paper before and had luck (it beaded water on a paper towel)--the tape will re-enforce the staples.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    CANCELLED

Hate to do this to any lurkers that were planning on showing up tomorrow but work and other issues have taken precedence this week. Sorry, this is the first chance I've had to get to a computer in the last 36 hours.

I will be there next Wednesday (March 30th) at 10am. If someone really wants to try this and prefers Tuesday or Friday ... PM me.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    CANCELLED

Hate to do this to any lurkers that were planning on showing up tomorrow but work and other issues have taken precedence this week. Sorry, this is the first chance I've had to get to a computer in the last 36 hours.

I will be there next Wednesday (March 30th) at 10am. If someone really wants to try this and prefers Tuesday or Friday ... PM me.

You make it any Friday and I can / will be there!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    There are too many other shoots I've wanted to attend here and haven't been able to b/c of work and distance! (and they are on the weekends)

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I had a feeling this would fizzle out.

Didn't mean to disappoint you. I'm only reading your words here without the benefit of tone or inflection so I'll refrain from firing back. Let's just say the straw kept piling on the camel's back and I had to make a decision. No one wants to read my sob story and I don't want to tell one. I will say that things turned for the better today and I'm back on track ... for now. :)

Your disappointment tells me that at least one person is interested in seeing something like this succeed. That's encouraging. That is also why I keep emphasizing that this is a purpose driven event and not a person focused event. I also realize that it will take a few outings to build interest. I'm also painfully aware that delivering an event on schedule is paramount to building/keeping interest.

You make it any Friday and I can / will be there!

If you mean this, PM me and I we can work something out. Next Friday (April 1st) is possible for me but with a later start time. Wed (March 30th) would be a 10am start time. I have the COF as posted above and I have the targets ready. Let me know ASAP so I could get something posted here ... otherwise I will keep Wednesday (March 30th) open.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    OOooohhhh I think I know what the sad story was/is...

I'll spill the beans for a cookie & some ammo? Anyone?
    he,he,he...

How about for a couple hot dogs and a plastic bag with miscellaneous shell casings ...all of which are "slightly used." :D

<sorry, it was begging to be said! ;)>

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    If you mean this, PM me and I we can work something out. Next Friday (April 1st) is possible for me but with a later start time. Wed (March 30th) would be a 10am start time. I have the COF as posted above and I have the targets ready. Let me know ASAP so I could get something posted here ... otherwise I will keep Wednesday (March 30th) open.

Fridays work good for me. Usually my kids are with the in-laws and I don't pick them up until the evening. However, I usually need to leave Crown Point by 530pm. I also have to work midnights so, early shoots work best.

I don't want to hold you to a specific date as of yet b/c I do not know what other NWI members have going on.

I would like to keep discussions open and in the thread so we can get input from other possibly interested members and make sure that any date is enough notice for them.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I'm ready to try another stab at this.

HOWEVER, I would like to take a step back and actually go out and experiment a little before posting a date and Course of Fire (COF). My intention is to check the timing and see how any particular COF works with the stoppages, target changes, etc. When I can get a simple and user friendly COF set up, I will proceed with setting a date.

In the meantime, I'm looking at heading to DNR Kingsbury this Thursday morning (June 16th) to experiment with what I already have posted and possibly tweak it a little. If anyone is interested in joining me, PM me so you can find me that day. Otherwise I might just seem like any other guy shooting at the range. It would be nice to get input. Thanks.

Finally, I apologize for generating interest and having to bail at the last second. My life was starting to turn into a country song (almost ... the wife wasn't leaving me) but things are smoother now.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Good day today with GUNFIGHTER01 and his dad as well as another gentleman (non-INGO member). Very informal shooting as expected. GF01 got his AR dialed in quick with very little hassle. Played a little bit with my AR and got a feel for the timing.

I know the cease fire timimg will depend on the RO as well as the number of shooters but I should be able to tweak the COF into something realistic that will fit with the venue. I'll also be taking into account the fact that not everyone has a sling and might even back off the "no bench rest" shooting for at least one string.

Stay tuned.

Top Bottom