• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Always felt hydrogen is the way to go, after natural gas. Up in Minnesota on a route to S Dakota, NG is available all the way, aimed at big rigs. Quick Way, I believe, is the gas chain with the natural gas access. GM is working with Autocar on hydrogen trucks.
    I used to work on natural gas vehicles. The problem with natural gas is the need for the tanks which must withstand
    2200 psi and even the fiberglass ones, though not AS heavy, take up much space and even so the range is very limited.
    We had NG pickup trucks and the beds were full of the tanks hence no cargo capacity and range was still very short.
    They tried stacking 3 tanks vertically behind the cab or placing two along the frame rails.
    Let me just say this. Nipsco gave up on them around 15 years ago and removed all their refueling stations. There's
    a hint.
    edit: Gas turbine generators for electricity make sense because a pipeline is ran to them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I used to work on natural gas vehicles. The problem with natural gas is the need for the tanks which must withstand
    2200 psi and even the fiberglass ones, though not AS heavy, take up much space and even so the range is very limited.
    We had NG pickup trucks and the beds were full of the tanks hence no cargo capacity and range was still very short.
    They tried stacking 3 tanks vertically behind the cab or placing two along the frame rails.
    Let me just say this. Nipsco gave up on them around 15 years ago and removed all their refueling stations. There's
    a hint.
    edit: Gas turbine generators for electricity make sense because a pipeline is ran to them.
    Hydrogen requires similar tanks

Best way to design a NG or Hydrogen powered vehicle is ground up to accodate the tank(s)

Plenty of NG heavy vehicles out there, city buses too.

I’m not saying it’s the answer. But it probably is a partial answer.

ICE/Hybrid vehicles, like most new Toyotas, are probably the best balance right now. Technology will evolve, but the hybrids seem like a great low cost solution to higher efficiency and good performance with the range needed by many drivers and a 5 minute refill at the standard pump

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If anyone is so inclined, Jase is in his 4th year of St. Baldrick's and is asking for donations to shave his head again. He has raised over $6000 total and his goal this year is another $2500. He has been a top student in Crown Point for raising funds every year.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On a side note, our truck had the gas pipe going to the gas tank, but NO GAS TANK.

So, one of the guys was spacing off, went to the gas pump.
    Started pumping gas, which started forming a lake of gas under the truck.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Best way to design a NG or Hydrogen powered vehicle is ground up to accodate the tank(s)

ICE/Hybrid vehicles, like most new Toyotas, are probably the best balance right now. Technology will evolve, but the hybrids seem like a great low cost solution to higher efficiency and good performance with the range needed by many drivers and a 5 minute refill at the standard pump
    Sorry, what is the question?

I have no problem with hybrids.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

I believe the newer hydrogen vehicles are using a fuel cell. Not sure if they have the hp tanks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm sure you said, but which one did you get? I should remember, but it was a few months ago!

Got the grandpa SUV from Toyota. The Venza. A SUV that should never be driven off road. Picked up the Limited version, with add on accessories. Basically a nice, luxury version of the Toyota RAV4; same drive train, different sheet metal and much upgraded cabin.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    If anyone is so inclined, Jase is in his 4th year of St. Baldrick's and is asking for donations to shave his head again. He has raised over $6000 total and his goal this year is another $2500. He has been a top student in Crown Point for raising funds every year.
    This will be year 11 for me. My 12 year old was diagnosed at 4.5 months. Doing great now, and this is the least I can do to help others.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom