• Status
    Not open for further replies.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    So I've been poking around over on the TDIclub forums and I gotta say, owning a manual VW diesel is looking less and less attractive.

First off is the HPFP failure issue. Seems to be a bit less common with the constant use of a fuel additive, but that just adds to the overall fuel cost. From what I can gather it's an extra 8-15 cents a gallon. Worth it? Maybe, but I really don't like having to worry about the extra step every time I get fuel. Just fill up and drive is much more appealing.

Number two is having to worry about the finicky drivability. Seems like a lot of guys that have been driving manuals for years have a hard time with the TDI killing the engine when it's not to be expected because of all the "safeties" built into the Drive By Wire system. Again, something that can be overcome but sheesh, what happened to simple? Put it in gear, drive, shift, repeat. Apparently it isn't that easy with these things.

Then there's the great debate about VW reliability overall. Not very inspiring. As much as I want one of the TDI's for the fuel mileage, the bad seems to be getting the better of me.

I suppose I should go drive one. That won't tell me anything about long term reliability but it might clear up the drivability part.

Guess I could just get a gasser. Might be what ends up happening. It's still better than 12 mpg.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    AAAAAHAHHHHHHHHH
    now I'm going yo have nightmares!

:facepalm: no wonder you wanted me to email you the file.
    ONLY NOW DO I UNDERSTAND!!!!:xmad:
    No, I really am not sure where the ones you gave me ended up. I took twenty to the Ike's. The rest are in ky house somewhere. I printed 75 to leave at the Clubhouse.
    Awesome... I couldn't make out the sentence. Wasn't sure if there was a stroke involved or a bad imitation of Jedi.
    You're welcome. ;)

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I can't wait till next week, I have a full week of NRA Instructor training ahead of me in Michigan. Should make for a great business trip.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can't wait till next week, I have a full week of NRA Instructor training ahead of me in Michigan. Should make for a great business trip.

Sure, rub it in.

When I get home I still have to prepare 2 finance reports for the American Legion meeting tomorrow, and print them.
    Hopefully a couple hours sleep.
    For now, I decided on eating at the Purple Steer. If I went home, it would have been reheated frozen heart attack. This sounded better. A lot better choices than Denny's.

What else is open this late?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :faint:
    I'm done for the night! I feel like the spirit of WD was with me tonight.
    I could **NOT** get the new ham radios to work with Windows XP no matter WTF I tried.
    So after 2+ hours moved over to the Window 8 machine and BAM! Finally got the radio to work with the software. Tomorrow I'll finish up the programming of the radios and getting the file online for the rest of the group.

If I'm feeling really lucky I'll even try getting the radio to work on WIN XP again. There is one last thing I can try before I give it up. BTW the new radios are much nicer than the smaller older one. But alas it's also heavier.

Oh well nightmares of GLOCKs, APPLEs and no having my unicorn here I come.
    TTFN

oh and BTW I'll leave you thugs and rednecks this.
    That pic that frosty posted with t-star and darkkevin. I told t-star that the first thing I noticed was that her bag/purse was real big. Bigger than the one she normally carries. I was going to make that comment last night but figured ya would make fun of me for noticing that first. :p

BTW the bag she had today on the train was even bigger than the one in the picture. ggggggiiiiirrrrrrllllllllssssss. :rofl:

po7g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    The walmart in Valpo had a couple Ar-15s in the cases. I dont know the brands or prices off the top of my head. I dont know if they are still there, I saw them May 10th.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom