• Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    So .12 cents per round of lead 9mm.
    Hum.. why so hi? :dunno:

Right now my .45 FMJ reloads are .18 per round. But that was becuase I just bought 1K worth of stuff this year to try out reloading. Now that I know I can do it and how easy it is. I plan on buying the same stuff in bulk for next season. When I do that based on today's prices I come out to .13 cents per round of .45 230gr FMJ.

So I'm only 1 cent more than you with your lead? I know 6 months ago when I ran the lead numbers for .45 it was down to .10 cents per round, but I don't feel comfortable enough *cough* lazy *cough* to re-adjust my settings and learn for lead bullets.

Sadly the feds say if I reload and I sell those reloads I need a license or else. So GB nor I can't sell to you or anyone else since we do not have a license. But teaching you is still license free (for now at least). :)

Check out www.indianabulletco.com, great prices. They sell 124gr lead 9mm projectiles for $50/1000 with free shipping. They're INGO members too.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    100 negligent discharges in the parking lot of an apartment complex doesn't warrant 2 years in jail?

I don't think so. Did he hit anything other than dirt? Putting someone in jail for shooting dirt is stupid.

If he was shooting apartments or cars that would be different. Again, not enough information.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't think so. Did he hit anything other than dirt? Putting someone in jail for shooting dirt is stupid.

If he was shooting apartments or cars that would be different. Again, not enough information.

This is actually part 2 of the incident. When he was first arrested the article had more information and that article got a link here on INGO as well (not this thread). From what I recall he was shooting into the air or the ground of the parking lot.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI

Agreed, horrible reporting here. It mentions him saying he shot at the ground, but who knows what he really did? He's not very credible, being a felon and all.

I just wanna know where he got his hands on a full-auto Mac 10.. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Check out www.indianabulletco.com, great prices. They sell 124gr lead 9mm projectiles for $50/1000 with free shipping. They're INGO members too.

Thank you for the link. If I went with lead bullets then the cost for .45 would be .08 cents per round. :wow: but again I don't think I'm ready for lead bullets for the 2013 season. At least not without someone holding my hand in the process. So I think I'll stick to FMJ again. Cost is $125 for 1K on the bullets from here

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I don't think you need to tweak your setup much to run lead. OAL and powder charge may change only slightly, if at all. Whats your setup? You want me to come up there and set it up for you? :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I just wanna know where he got his hands on a full-auto Mac 10.. :D

Well we did have several (3 I think) Lake County Sherrif arrested by the feds this year for selling machine gun parts via the internet that they were buying with department paperwork. So this is one possibility :whistle:

Another is according to the Brady Campgain and the media you can get full autos with no background check at gun shows, don't you know. :faint:

Lastly we are so, so close to Chicago where guns are just flowing like the Chicago River in a city that bans then. :dunno:

Pick your poison as they say. :D

I don't think you need to tweak your setup much to run lead. OAL and powder charge may change only slightly, if at all. Whats your setup? You want me to come up there and set it up for you? :D

Hum... I might just take you up on this offer. That .08 vs .13 does look good. It's a $5 savings when shooting 100 rounds and that is a BIG savings!

of course u r a redneck n u might no understand me thugs inglish.:laugh:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So, you agree with felons not being able to have guns?

You agree that people should not have automatic weapons?

Or you think he deserved more than two years in jail for firing the weapon in the town of Griffith?

He was obviously an idiot for firing it in a parking lot like that, but without a lot more information I don't see anything that warrants two years in jail.

It doesn't matter what I believe. The law is the law and if you break it there's consequences for that and there should be bigger consequences if you break it repeatedly

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    This is weird, I'm connected to El Salto's Wi-Fi from inside Commander restaurant, but when I'm over at the parking lot by Subway(about 100 ft closer), i can't get it.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Thats better lead prices than I've been getting... but I do like the clean and very hard lead bullets I'm use to using. I've bought some lead from other vendors that made me look like pig pen after a reloading session and I could literately carve neat little characters in the front of the bullets... Like it hard and clean... I'll try them out though at those prices....

Jedi, there's really no change, pressures go down with a all lead bullet rather than a jacketed bullet because of the jacket and the overall size of the projectile. Same charge that's safe in a jacketed bullet load is just fine in a all lead bullet... plus the lead bullet being softer is less wear and tear on your barrel... now it will be dirtier...

Also I noticed that the bullets have gone up again as of a couple weeks ago when I made another lead run, might want to check your vendor and see if the prices have gone up or not... for your calculations...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thats better lead prices than I've been getting... but I do like the clean and very hard lead bullets I'm use to using. I've bought some lead from other vendors that made me look like pig pen after a reloading session and I could literately carve neat little characters in the front of the bullets... Like it hard and clean... I'll try them out though at those prices....

Jedi, there's really no change, pressures go down with a all lead bullet rather than a jacketed bullet because of the jacket and the overall size of the projectile. Same charge that's safe in a jacketed bullet load is just fine in a all lead bullet... plus the lead bullet being softer is less wear and tear on your barrel... now it will be dirtier...

Also I noticed that the bullets have gone up again as of a couple weeks ago when I made another lead run, might want to check your vendor and see if the prices have gone up or not... for your calculations...

Checked this morning GB and updated my prices and it's still the same. :rockwoot:

The biggest concern issue I have with the lead bullets is "crushing them" when I insert them into the casing. I did manage this year to crush about 20 out of 1000 as I was learning this year. :D Plus I have the powder drop setter to 5gr of WIN 231 so again just lazy to change it right now.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My mkiii parts are in Gary now since yesterday afternoon apparently(went UPS to USPS) and still shows delivery expected date of Monday.

I know exactly where that post office is, I used to work out of that AT&T garage across 15th ave from it. No way it should take 3 days to reach St. John Post office and get delivered.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Checked this morning GB and updated my prices and it's still the same. :rockwoot:

The biggest concern issue I have with the lead bullets is "crushing them" when I insert them into the casing. I did manage this year to crush about 20 out of 1000 as I was learning this year. :D Plus I have the powder drop setter to 5gr of WIN 231 so again just lazy to change it right now.

Crushing lead? Crimp might be set too tight, or not enough flare on the rim of the case. Both are minor adjustments.

PS: I sold furniture on credit to people on welfare on the east side of Joliet. I'm pretty sure I can handle your north of 30 accent. Homie. :laugh:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Crushing lead? Crimp might be set too tight, or not enough flare on the rim of the case. Both are minor adjustments.

PS: I sold furniture on credit to people on welfare on the east side of Joliet. I'm pretty sure I can handle your north of 30 accent. Homie. :laugh:

I think it's more the flare on the case as I sometimes have trouble getting the bullet in if I don't have it just right. I know the Lee FCD has saved me a few times and from what I have read the FCD is the "let me fix your mistakes die" and from old timers you should not use it but learn and adjust what the mistake is. :rolleyes:

This season I was just happy to not blow WD's hand/face off (he tested the reloads) and to be able to finally shoot my 1911 more and not feel the

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s[/ame]

nnnnnnnoooooooo as it was aorund .50 cent per bullet for the factory ammo. :xmad: :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Hahah, I was nervous as hell the first time I shot my own reloads. After the first 5 rounds, I knew I had done an acceptable job, and it's been all smiles since. Half the reason I want a 45 is because I have so much brass for it. :D

The FCD shouldn't be saving your ass, it should just finish taking the harsh edge off the case mouth. You just want enough crimp that you can't push the bullet back with your thumb. I set my seating die up so that I don't crimp much, if at all. I find that seating and crimping are done more accurately in two separate steps. The FCD is nice to have around for that.

Are you running single stage, or progressive?

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Well, just picked up on my 1903A3 rifle. I will be bringing it out to the Meet and Shoot coming up as well. Have not had the chance to fire it yet, but If i do before then, Ill be sure to let everyone know how it fires. One day, when I figure out how to post photos on here, ill be sure to post some.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hahah, I was nervous as hell the first time I shot my own reloads. After the first 5 rounds, I knew I had done an acceptable job, and it's been all smiles since. Half the reason I want a 45 is because I have so much brass for it. :D

The FCD shouldn't be saving your ass, it should just finish taking the harsh edge off the case mouth. You just want enough crimp that you can't push the bullet back with your thumb. I set my seating die up so that I don't crimp much, if at all. I find that seating and crimping are done more accurately in two separate steps. The FCD is nice to have around for that.

Are you running single stage, or progressive?

Single stage rcbs rock chucker.
    When i don't run the rounds thru the FCD the ammo when put in my case guage will not drop freely into it. If you give it a tap it will drop into the guage. When I drop it into the barrel it does fit and will come back out.

Have never fired a round with just doing it MINUS the FCD.
    When putting the round into the FCD I do feel some resistance one SOME rounds. When I put those rounds (run thru the FCD) into the case guage they all fall freely in it just like in the barrel.

The FCD does not always "feel" like it touches my rounds (ie. when you pull down on the lever at times it feels like nothing occurs at other times I can feel resistance)

So I have just run them all via the FCD and called it a day.

WD has yet to blow up in any case. :D

Well, just picked up on my 1903A3 rifle. I will be bringing it out to the Meet and Shoot coming up as well. Have not had the chance to fire it yet, but If i do before then, Ill be sure to let everyone know how it fires. One day, when I figure out how to post photos on here, ill be sure to post some.

:facepalm:
    no pic = we no believe you :laugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom