Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Find a job outside Chicago, or Illinois.

And, sorry about the loss Jedi. That does suck.
    These last 2 months have been very stressful at work. To the point where I have begun to wonder is the pay worth it. Work/life balance is so tilted right now that I had actually started just to look elsewhere even on the Indiana side.

Having the van stolen was just another sucker punch to the whole "Work thing".

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    If they took it I can't be mad.
    That is funny as heck.
    Considering where I catch the bus in the mornings in the middle of residential area I have seen them monsters in the alley dumpsters and walking across the street!!!
    Are you happy or mad over the loss? Back in the 90's one of the guys on the Fire Dept. had his pickup truck stolen and six months after he got another truck his stolen truck turned up and the insurance company wanted to give him back the old/stolen truck. Don't remember what he did with the two trucks.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    These last 2 months have been very stressful at work. To the point where I have begun to wonder is the pay worth it. Work/life balance is so tilted right now that I had actually started just to look elsewhere even on the Indiana side.

Having the van stolen was just another sucker punch to the whole "Work thing".
    Sorry for the strife in your life. Sometimes we gotta weigh if the stress is worth the added pay. Adjustment may be needed in lifestyle but if you can find work that you enjoy v/s the money and stress it'd be a no-brainer

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Are you happy or mad over the loss? Back in the 90's one of the guys on the Fire Dept. had his pickup truck stolen and six months after he got another truck his stolen truck turned up and the insurance company wanted to give him back the old/stolen truck. Don't remember what he did with the two trucks.
    That is the concern I have.
    I felt nothing over the loss, nor for the youths that took it. My mind just thought of the steps I would have to take to report it, find a new vehicle, get back to work the next day.

Even now 5 days later I have no emotion about the whole ordeal.

Which makes me begin to question why am I still at that job.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I felt nothing over the loss, nor for the youths that took it. My mind just thought of the steps I would have to take to report it, find a new vehicle, get back to work the next day.

Even know 5 days later I have no emotion about the whole ordeal.

Start looking at jobs.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

Even now 5 days later I have no emotion about the whole ordeal.

Time to update your r`e-sum`e and look for what will make you happy. I'm sure you feel like someone invaded your personal space and property.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well looks like all my chances were finally spent. :(

Chiraqi thugs finally got jedi.
    On Thursday afternoon after 13 years of parking on the southside by the public library and day care center with heavy police presence since the PD station is not far from there jedi found the van missing.

It did not get towed. :(

The elderly couple that lives next to the library confirmed they saw 3 youths near the van, then inside the van and then the van was gone.

Chicago PD took the report.
    No activity on the ipass.
    Spent 2 days driving up and down the Southside street and did not see it.

Insurance company got me a "clown car" mistubishe mirage for the time being while they wait the 10 days before they consider it a total loss.

The van was a rust bucket but had a good motor and mechanical was ok. It had taken me to FL several times, MN, and Canada all with no issues.

Lost over $1000 in emergency vehicle tools that where in the van stored over the years. Plus some sentimental items from road trips and an old atlas that belonged to jedi's grandpa.

Luckly no harm to jedi.
    So if ya see a silver 2006 minivan with a pink hello kitty sticker call the police!
    Doubt the van is intact at this point.
    Most likely in a chop shop being stripped for parts. :(
    Sucks to hear this.

Gangbangers seem to love stealing vans, they use them in shootings and discard them. It seemed to be a common part of the gang shootings my grand jury investigated. A van was taken, the state line was crossed, there was a shooting, the van was wrecked or simply discarded, the criminals were caught 3 to 10+ years later on an unrelated charge . . . jail happens, but justice is very often delayed by a decade or more.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    On Thursday afternoon after 13 years of parking on the southside by the public library and day care center with heavy police presence since the PD station is not far from there jedi found the van missing.
    I was always amazed at the commute you took. You saved some money, but increased your commute time and travelled a less than good path once you parked.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I imagine the Insurance Company had paid out on the stolen vehicle report? Did they want their money back?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Sucks to hear this.

Gangbangers seem to love stealing vans, they use them in shootings and discard them. It seemed to be a common part of the gang shootings my grand jury investigated. A van was taken, the state line was crossed, there was a shooting, the van was wrecked or simply discarded, the criminals were caught 3 to 10+ years later on an unrelated charge . . . jail happens, but justice is very often delayed by a decade or more.

Saw a report on NBC this morning about a shooting from a white van

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I heard they found the van and were searching for the registered owner (an Indiana man?) as a person of interest in the shooting.

Records show that he is a gun owner and licesened to carry.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well looks like all my chances were finally spent. :(

Chiraqi thugs finally got jedi.

It did not get towed. :(

The elderly couple that lives next to the library confirmed they saw 3 youths near the van, then inside the van and then the van was gone.

Chicago PD took the report.
    No activity on the ipass.
    Spent 2 days driving up and down the Southside street and did not see it.

Insurance company got me a "clown car" mistubishe mirage for the time being while they wait the 10 days before they consider it a total loss.

The van was a rust bucket but had a good motor and mechanical was ok. It had taken me to FL several times, MN, and Canada all with no issues.

Lost over $1000 in emergency vehicle tools that where in the van stored over the years. Plus some sentimental items from road trips and an old atlas that belonged to jedi's grandpa.

Luckly no harm to jedi.
    So if ya see a silver 2006 minivan with a pink hello kitty sticker call the police!
    Doubt the van is intact at this point.
    Most likely in a chop shop being stripped for parts. :(

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Back in the late '80s I lived in Chicago and worked in a large firm in the loop. One day, one of the partners and I had an afternoon meeting with a client and a Federal Agency in the Agency's office in downtown Gary. We drove separately as the parner lived in the South Suburbs. I arrived early and was able to park in the Agency's secured lot. Teh partner arrived later and had to park his Peugeot on the street adjacent to the Agency's building, but out of sight of the guards.

Well at the conclusion of the meeting, we moseyed out of the building and the partner walked off where he had parked. The client and I were in the lot discussing some follow-up matters when he partner returned to the lot. He said "...my car is gone.. Please come check and tell me I'm wrong!" We walked over and he wasn't wrong. No Peugeot. Gone. Empty parking spot.

Agency's guard took a report. Gary PD took a report. A couple of weeks later (I think) Peugeot found somewhere in Gary up on blocks and generally stripped.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom