Not open for further replies.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm always reminded of when my water heater took a dump at the old house in sinerios like this. I didn't have time, but it took a professional plumber (who busted his a** the whole time with knowledge and tools) with a run to the store) 7 hours to install and upgrade. It would likely take me x3 the time and added money to do that job.

9x3=suuuuck

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm always reminded of when my water heater took a dump at the old house in sinerios like this. I didn't have time, but it took a professional plumber (who busted his a** the whole time with knowledge and tools) with a run to the store) 7 hours to install and upgrade. It would likely take me x3 the time and added money to do that job.

9x3=suuuuck
    Must of had some kind of problem.
    I had mine in in an hour or less if I remember.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Gary tin mill is having layoffs one week a month until the end of the quarter or possibly the year. We have 4 loaners who are incumbent to tin working in the slab yard who've been here for months signed off on the crane and running with the crews like those of us posted here. They're being included in the layoffs, forcing us to either be crippled with 4 less cranemen or work even more OT than were already doing to cover. F'in stupid.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Gary tin mill is having layoffs one week a month until the end of the quarter or possibly the year. We have 4 loaners who are incumbent to tin working in the slab yard who've been here for months signed off on the crane and running with the crews like those of us posted here. They're being included in the layoffs, forcing us to either be crippled with 4 less cranemen or work even more OT than were already doing to cover. F'in stupid.
    Yes
    Management is stupid.
    So is non-management.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    You sound like that guy who retired a while back. Do you do Christmas lights in your yard?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The guys who lived for OT when I was in the mill kept food stocks in their lockers. I swear some had more food than tools.

When they weren't working OT, they would sell food to guys that were.

Disclaimer: Not everyone who wanted OT were jerks, there were also some good guys who would feed anyone who forgot their lunch or needed food while on a double.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The guys who lived for OT when I was in the mill kept food stocks in their lockers. I swear some had more food than tools.

When they weren't working OT, they would sell food to guys that were.

Disclaimer: Not everyone who wanted OT were jerks, there were also some good guys who would feed anyone who forgot their lunch or needed food while on a double.
    Everyone in my shop had food squirreled away.
    You never knew when they would make you stay over.

Then, there was twice when I was held for days.
    Went in Sunday 3-11s.
    Got to leave after Thursday morning midnights.
    I ran out of food on that one.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Then, there was twice when I was held for days.
    I always left are 16 hours, never got disciplined.

One of the guys I worked with at Inland was working the day of the '67 snow storm. They didn't even bring the time cards to the shop. He went to office and asked for his time card. They told him everyone had to stay and that the roads were closed. He lived within walking distance and told the boss he would be back in the morning for his scheduled shift. They told him he had to stay.

At the end of sixteen hours he went to the office and told them he was going home. They said no, he got a ride to the gate in a front end loader. The gate was snowed in with no guards on duty and the doors locked. He got in the bucket of the loader, had the operator raise it so he could jump over the fence into the snow bank on the other side. He then walked home.

When he got home he called work and reported off that he was snowed in and didn't go back until the roads were cleared.

If they had let him go home he would have come back, but since they didn't let him leave he stayed home with his family.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I always left are 16 hours, never got disciplined.

One of the guys I worked with at Inland was working the day of the '67 snow storm. They didn't even bring the time cards to the shop. He went to office and asked for his time card. They told him everyone had to stay and that the roads were closed. He lived within walking distance and told the boss he would be back in the morning for his scheduled shift. They told him he had to stay.

At the end of sixteen hours he went to the office and told them he was going home. They said no, he got a ride to the gate in a front end loader. The gate was snowed in with no guards on duty and the doors locked. He got in the bucket of the loader, had the operator raise it so he could jump over the fence into the snow bank on the other side. He then walked home.

When he got home he called work and reported off that he was snowed in and didn't go back until the roads were cleared.

If they had let him go home he would have come back, but since they didn't let him leave he stayed home with his family.
    Well, in my storms, guys left.
    Only guys that made it back were guys in jobs that were massively undermanned.
    The others didn't.

I guess it depends on the department, and the amount of damage possible.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    48-56 hours a week is the sweet spot. Any more or less is where I get ornery. They're passing around a canvas now to try to get us on an "Alternative work schedule" where we'd work 12 hours but it would be 4 days of work, 4 days off and repeat(aka 4on/4off) OR 4 on/3off > 3on/4off

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    48-56 hours a week is the sweet spot. Any more or less is where I get ornery. They're passing around a canvas now to try to get us on an "Alternative work schedule" where we'd work 12 hours but it would be 4 days of work, 4 days off and repeat(aka 4on/4off) OR 4 on/3off > 3on/4off
    Some people like it.
    BUT....

If you are short, then this does not magically make things better, like bosses seem to think.
    1) No matter how you look at it, you have the same amount of hours being worked by the same amount of people.
    2) Your first day off, you are "on call". If someone calls off, the boss can't work someone a double, cause that's 24 hours. So, he calls someone at home to come in.
    If they don't, well he's gonna be in a "spot". And probably cancel the schedule. He doesn't care who works it, he needs a body. If bodies don't come in...
    I've seen that happen over and over. No one coming in on their first day off.
    3) Your only shifts are 7a to 7p, or 7p to 7a. That sucks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics