Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've never operated a piece of machinery as crappy as an EOT crane, I swear. If cars had the seconds long input delays that these things have, the interstate would be a bloodbath

Well, cars aren't lifting hundreds of tons.

Also, could be the crane is broke, and no one knows how to fix it.
    You know, since they got rid of the apprenticeship 20 years ago, and called a learner a "rated".
    Then put the rated with a senior guy.
    Then after a while, they started working the learner by himself, because he's "rated".
    Now those guys are senior, and teaching the new guys, even though they didn't learn stuff.

Snowball effect.

In the last month before I left, I went off on an area manager.
    He was griping about having only ONE trained, and 4 new people.
    So I YELLED that HE was the one who determined he had enough people, and DIDN'T put a new guy into the shop to learn stuff.
    So when he forced so much overtime, after a while those old guys left, increasing the overtime, until only 1 guy is left. And now, he can do ALMOST anything he wants, cause other wise the shop shuts down and they look to fire a manager.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, cars aren't lifting hundreds of tons.

Also, could be the crane is broke, and no one knows how to fix it.
    You know, since they got rid of the apprenticeship 20 years ago, and called a learner a "rated".
    Then put the rated with a senior guy.
    Then after a while, they started working the learner by himself, because he's "rated".
    Now those guys are senior, and teaching the new guys, even though they didn't learn stuff.

Snowball effect.

In the last month before I left, I went off on an area manager.
    He was griping about having only ONE trained, and 4 new people.
    So I YELLED that HE was the one who determined he had enough people, and DIDN'T put a new guy into the shop to learn stuff.
    So when he forced so much overtime, after a while those old guys left, increasing the overtime, until only 1 guy is left. And now, he can do ALMOST anything he wants, cause other wise the shop shuts down and they look to fire a manager.

And don't get me started on them trying to send people like me on a crane and say "Well, you're an electrician.".
    NO! I'm not.
    Electronics is NOT electrician, no matter how many times you say it.
    And laying out a training course for me, but then NOT GIVING ME THE CLASS does not help either.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Well, cars aren't lifting hundreds of tons.(1)

Also, could be the crane is broke(2) and no one knows how to fix it(3)
    1)True
    2) Unfortunately it's working as it's supposed to. The fancy new "drives" they put in the cranes over here are supposed to make them better but the only crane worth a damn is the one they didn't put them in. You can't plug them at all. I could have preferenced that one but I chose being able to actually see ****.
    3) Some of those crane repair guys, I tell ya hwat... Some are good but some of them couldn't fix breakfast with the cereal box, milk and bowl sitting right in front of them. There were a set who didn't know how to change a broken tong cable. Our team lead had to show them how.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    1)True
    2) Unfortunately it's working as it's supposed to. The fancy new "drives" they put in the cranes over here are supposed to make them better but the only crane worth a damn is the one they didn't put them in. You can't plug them at all. I could have preferenced that one but I chose being able to actually see ****.
    3) Some of those crane repair guys, I tell ya hwat... Some are good but some of them couldn't fix breakfast with the cereal box, milk and bowl sitting right in front of them. There were a set who didn't know how to change a broken tong cable. Our team lead had to show them how.
    MOre things will be converted to drives, because the old DC stuff gets harder and harder to get.
    Before, they just threw more money at it, but now, not even money helps.

And as they install the drives, they DON'T train the crew on how to work on them.
    They figure, the men will "figure it out."
    Management figures, that worked for a 100 years. Not realizing we're not working on simple systems anymore.
    You're working on something as complicated as the space shuttle, and asking a random person of the street to figure it out.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Ah. The D...

Yes that's still on my list...

I have yet to cross off anything on the basic life list

Marriage
    Bankruptcy
    Divorce