NWI INGO General Post Part 19 - LegOs, Glocks and iPhones!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Definitely going to have to bust out the snowthrower again in the morning. Looks like it's going to be falling until 4 or 5am. With the possibility of a wintery mix, I'll let it fall on the snow then move it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If they send us home we get 2hr show up time
    if we start we get 4 hr, after 12 we get 8hrs

From what I heard, some of the bosses at the mill used to call guys out, then when they showed up, "changed their minds", and sent them home. (power trips)
    It actually happened so often the contracts were modified so that if you showed up and got sent home, you'd get 4 hours of "straight time" pay.
    If they worked you, say 1.5 hours, you'd get 1.5 hours at overtime, and 2.5 hours at straight time.

Fast forward to a couple contracts ago, I was volunteering at a "corn boil" at the Legion Post.
    Work had an emergency, called me in.
    So, I had to go home to get my work clothes, drop of my gun (days before parking lot law).
    I drove into work.
    Walked to wash house, to change clothes.
    Walked to job site.
    They already fixed the problem.
    No problem. I discussed what happened, just in case the same problem happened to me, then left.
    Figured I'd have .5 hours at OT, and 3.5 at straight time.

Got my check.
    .5 hours of OT.
    Check with the boss. He can't figure it out.
    Calls Pittsburgh.
    Calls me back. The rules changed.
    Now, instead of 4 hours, it's changed to 8 hours.
    But, if you go home on your own, you only get paid time on the job.
    Since there was NO BOSS to send me home, and since I left, they paid me the .5 hours on the job.
    I didn't even get paid the time I was in the gate.
    :xmad:
    I told the boss next time he thinks about calling me at home, don't bother.
    I lost a good amount of time, for nothing.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Gotta go out and shovel again in a bit. The Weather Channel says winds NNE 14 MPH, so what I am getting now is Lake Effect.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    So this snowstorm reminded me of one in Dec, 1977. We used to go to 15-20 Bulls games each season back then. A buddy and I were going to the the Bulls vs. Atlanta Hawks game at the old stadium. The weather was so bad it took forever to get there and we were very late.

We walked in and found our seats and they were getting ready for the 2nd half tip-off ...... nope. It was the opening tip. The Hawks bus from their hotel had gotten stuck and they arrived late.

Artis Gilmore blocked 11 shots that night, setting a Bulls record. The box score said close to 8,000 were in attendance. It was closer to 800. They invited everyone down to the main floor seating and gave us free tickets to another game for showing up.

Back then snow wasn't a deterrent to just going out and doing what you wanted to do. If I could go to work and work outside in bad weather I could do the things I wanted to do.

I was thinking about snow storm experiences and that one popped up. There are more, but maybe someone else wants to chime in?

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    514401-A8-65-E6-47-A1-9-C1-F-1-B6-C3765435-E.jpg

Not pink, 1000 count, factory sealed.
    If you find another one ... I'll take that one.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    So this snowstorm reminded me of one in Dec, 1977. We used to go to 15-20 Bulls games each season back then. A buddy and I were going to the the Bulls vs. Atlanta Hawks game at the old stadium. The weather was so bad it took forever to get there and we were very late.

We walked in and found our seats and they were getting ready for the 2nd half tip-off ...... nope. It was the opening tip. The Hawks bus from their hotel had gotten stuck and they arrived late.

Artis Gilmore blocked 11 shots that night, setting a Bulls record. The box score said close to 8,000 were in attendance. It was closer to 800. They invited everyone down to the main floor seating and gave us free tickets to another game for showing up.

Back then snow wasn't a deterrent to just going out and doing what you wanted to do. If I could go to work and work outside in bad weather I could do the things I wanted to do.

I was thinking about snow storm experiences and that one popped up. There are more, but maybe someone else wants to chime in?
    Another one old enough to remember the 1977 snow fall and I was still in Joliet, IL.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Really sucks I have to drive to Gary in the morning
    We'll probably get there and sent home
    One year when I was teaching at Ivy Tech Gary, there was a bad snowstorm and the roads were nearly impassible. I kept waiting for them to call off school, but they did not. I drove from Crown Point. Other people drove from other places because they did not want to miss school. One of the nursing students drove from frigging Demotte to Gary because you DO NOT miss nursing classes. Just as we all got to the parking lot at 8 am, they closed the school and told us to go home. That was a lot of pissed off folks.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Hiya Snap!
    Yeah there's gonna be a lot of pissed off people tomorrow also.
    Either because we have to work on the side of the unplowed roads with idiot drivers or because we have to drive in in **** weather just to be sent home

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    While the Valpo Show is nixed, Dad is coming up to find his case knife vendor. I need some more ammo cans...at the least.
    Screenshot_20210131-120913_Chrome.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom