• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Good day today, despite the fact I had to spend it in Illinois.

GOLD medal for my GIRLS Saber Team (team event, so 3 girls got gold medals)
    SILVER medal for my BOYS Saber Team (the boys are now proven to be inferior to the girls and will have an extra hard practice next time!)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While i'm at it, for those of you interested in my Russian saber fencer.

Despite the fact that she moved to the east coast to train, we still communicate most every day. Over the past week+ its been a constant stream as she has needed help with some of her high school finals and also she has been finishing up her college admissions.

Yesterday I was contacted by a top college coach (NCAA multi year champion) and was told that he didn't need my letter of recommendation. He had already gotten her cleared with the admissions and financial aid offices. She's just a formality now, her paperwork will clear and she will be in with a generous package.

2 days ago the coach at another top college with nearly as impressive a record indicated that she will be sending admissions a letter on Dasha's behalf for admissions (no mention to me of scholarship $).

I don't know most of the top NCAA coaches well enough to get messages like this, but these 2 schools are in Dasha's top 5 choices. I doubt any other school coach will preemptively contact me with information about her. This is all 'unofficial' as a coach cannot definitively say that a student is in, nor can a coach promise $, but typically if a coach is talking to another coach, and says it plainly and clearly, then its a done deal and the admissions and financial departments have already approved it.

Both of these schools are elite universities, she will get the best education possible if she chooses either of them. Both have elite level fencing programs, she will get the best possible fencing if she chooses either of them.

Again, no guarantee, all unofficial, but these are very good signs indeed :rockwoot:

:yesway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Good day today, despite the fact I had to spend it in Illinois.

GOLD medal for my GIRLS Saber Team (team event, so 3 girls got gold medals)
    SILVER medal for my BOYS Saber Team (the boys are now proven to be inferior to the girls and will have an extra hard practice next time!)

:yesway:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I lost a good friend today. She was at the intersection of Ridge and Colfax when a car hit her van. She went into cardiac arrest and died.

The other car ran and was caught in Merrillville.

If you pray say a prayer for her husband Harvey.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I lost a good friend today. She was at the intersection of Ridge and Colfax when a car hit her van. She went into cardiac arrest and died.

I'm guessing that was the Times article I read. Heavy, dedicated prayers coming tomorrow at church.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Sorry for the loss of your friend, prayer sent for the family and you also

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It was around 4 today, my wife had just gotten home from Aldi (just gone through that intersection) and sat down when we received the first text. She missed it by minutes.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Sadness at a time when they should be joyous. Im sure you will holds them in your thoughts and all of us will pray.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have a few raffle tickets left for a S&W Perfomance Center Model 627 .357 if anyone is interested let me know. $20 each. There are only 100 maximum total tickets being sold. Best raffle odds anywhere. ;)

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

So sorry for your loss. Glad they caught the person responsible for this. Driving anymore is such a challenge. Just observe how many people run through red lights. I'm not talking about being 3/4 of the way through an intersection that turns yellow. I'm talking about running through a solid red light. And when I see people that are driving looking down at their f*****g phone. I just want to drag them out of their car. We have the hands free blue tooth in our Cherokee. I don't even use it. I figure you can always call/text people when you are parked.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    So sorry for your loss. Glad they caught the person responsible for this. Driving anymore is such a challenge. Just observe how many people run through red lights. I'm not talking about being 3/4 of the way through an intersection that turns yellow. I'm talking about running through a solid red light. And when I see people that are driving looking down at their f*****g phone. I just want to drag them out of their car. We have the hands free blue tooth in our Cherokee. I don't even use it. I figure you can always call/text people when you are parked.

I hate the people who think they have 5 to 10 seconds after the left turn green arrow turns red to continue making their turn regardless of the fact that the people coming the other way now have a green light working for them

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have a few raffle tickets left for a S&W Perfomance Center Model 627 .357 if anyone is interested let me know. $20 each. There are only 100 maximum total tickets being sold. Best raffle odds anywhere. ;)

I'll get in on that action. Do you want to drop it by?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I hate the people who think they have 5 to 10 seconds after the left turn green arrow turns red to continue making their turn regardless of the fact that the people coming the other way now have a green light working for them

Yeah, I worked in Gary for about 30 years, and the rule of thumb there was red means go if you're within 500 ft of the intersection, and green means stop and wait for the jagoffs running the red.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

well it is the ENTILED ME Generation. Noe let ME be offended because I'm e titled to go thru the red and make you wait.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom