Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Are you wearing the same hoots though?

You should join systems. My boots last a couple years.

First couple pairs were different models of the Hytest, the right foot boot just kinda separated at the sole to the point they looked like a muppet. Then I had the Carolina's with the external met guard, which I ended up stepping in a puddle of grease in the basement up past the top and they got flooded. I tried to wash them out with that crazy blue soap we have but that just turned them into a rock. They might have actually lasted this whole time otherwise. Next were some Timberland Pros which were outrageously uncomfortable and ended up falling apart quicker than the Hytest, which I was happy about, and now these Michelins, which are really comfortable but the strip eats them up on quality check rollouts. I'd love to join any job on the maintenance side but I'd have to pass the damn tests first.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    First couple pairs were different models of the Hytest, the right foot boot just kinda separated at the sole to the point they looked like a muppet. Then I had the Carolina's with the external met guard, which I ended up stepping in a puddle of grease in the basement up past the top and they got flooded. I tried to wash them out with that crazy blue soap we have but that just turned them into a rock. They might have actually lasted this whole time otherwise. Next were some Timberland Pros which were outrageously uncomfortable and ended up falling apart quicker than the Hytest, which I was happy about, and now these Michelins, which are really comfortable but the strip eats them up on quality check rollouts. I'd love to join any job on the maintenance side but I'd have to pass the damn tests first.

yes, you have to pass a test.

Next time you get boots you like, that last, remember what they are. No guarantees they'll have it, or be the same quality, but it's a start.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I kinda cleaned "my half" of the garage, but it needs more work. My truck sits out year round, but in the winter, "my half" houses the JD lawn tractor with the plow, my Allis Chalmers B and my son's project "race tractor"...and not much else.

One side of my garage has a trailer. jackstands under the tailgate, because I store the lawnmower on it.
    My side of the garage was filled with tools and parts I've just been dumping on the ground.
    So, I almost have it cleaned up.
    Tomorrow I should finish it, and get the garage door opener going.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    yes, you have to pass a test.

Next time you get boots you like, that last, remember what they are. No guarantees they'll have it, or be the same quality, but it's a start.
    Yeah if they still have the Michelins when I get a voucher, I'll probably get them again. Otherwise I'll try a brand I haven't tried yet.
    I'd consider the Carolinas again but the sole on those is kinda flat and it can be like walking on an ice rink until you get used to them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Dr%2BScholls%2BCustom%2BFit%2BInserts.jpg

I've been using these inserts in my boots. I was having some arch problems causing sharp shooting pains.
    This seems to have worked.

Step on a machine, follow the instructions, and it tells you which "custom" number to buy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FootChair Adjustable Orthotics with Removable Pads for Custom Arch Height, Podiatrist Designed Athletic Shoe Inserts, for Plantar Fasciitis, Sports & More (Women's 11-12.5 / Men's 9-10.5) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY7NWVD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OeEZDbKHX4EEQ

The foot chair are better.
    I started off with doctor scholl's and eventually moved to custom cookies for my shoes and am now using the above.
    The gells were ok but dont last. The customs are great but only last about 1 to 2 years for me. At the price of the customs the ones above are a tad bit less and work great. I replace them every 6 months when I get new shoes. It saves above $20 vs the custom but works better for me.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Dr%2BScholls%2BCustom%2BFit%2BInserts.jpg

I've been using these inserts in my boots. I was having some arch problems causing sharp shooting pains.
    This seems to have worked.

Step on a machine, follow the instructions, and it tells you which "custom" number to buy.

Not sure if you're talking to me or just in general. Comfort has only been an issue with one of the pairs of boots I had(the Timb Pros) and they were trash in just about every way you can imagine anyway. The issue with the Carolinas was the outer sole, they are practically flat with no tread and just a little bit of texture, so there was almost no grip on the slick floors around here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not sure if you're talking to me or just in general. Comfort has only been an issue with one of the pairs of boots I had(the Timb Pros) and they were trash in just about every way you can imagine anyway. The issue with the Carolinas was the outer sole, they are practically flat with no tread and just a little bit of texture, so there was almost no grip on the slick floors around here.

I was talking to you. If you don't need them, fine.
    I used to use regular Dr. Scholls before, because we paid for our own boots, and I wanted to make the inner sole last longer.

But, last couple years, I've had sharp shooting pain in my toes.
    Believe it or not, these helped.
    If you don't need them, won't bother me any.
    Just throwing it out there. I may be a lazy Systems Repairman, but I've got 28 years (and one day), and I have logged a "few" miles on my feet there.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I just thought you mistook what I said about the soles on the Carolinas being a problem. That said, I had a pair of those in the 5.11s I wore when I worked at Amazon and they did help.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FootChair Adjustable Orthotics with Removable Pads for Custom Arch Height, Podiatrist Designed Athletic Shoe Inserts, for Plantar Fasciitis, Sports & More (Women's 11-12.5 / Men's 9-10.5) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY7NWVD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OeEZDbKHX4EEQ

The foot chair are better.
    I started off with doctor scholl's and eventually moved to custom cookies for my shoes and am now using the above.
    The gells were ok but dont last. The customs are great but only last about 1 to 2 years for me. At the price of the customs the ones above are a tad bit less and work great. I replace them every 6 months when I get new shoes. It saves above $20 vs the custom but works better for me.

I figured you's just step on a LEGOS and be cured for free.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I figured you's just step on a LEGOS and be cured for free.

:facepalm:
    Those insole help with arch support by putting a "block" per say under your arch and taking the weight of the foot and your body and allowing you to continue to walk/stand all day without feeling tired.

Jedi does a lot of walking around for 8 hours inside a 10 story building on good days. On bad days its several buildings of walking around in little time to sit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom