d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What a horrible position to be in. He could see it coming, and was totally helpless to stop what was happening.

Yeah. I had read another article where it said the engineer was having a very difficult time with it.
    I couldn't imagine, nor do i want to!

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Our oldest son is on one of the police departments that first responded to the call. Luckily he was not working that morning to see what had to be one of the most horrific accidents ever in the region. Thoughts and prayers to anyone who was involved in this.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/national/2011/10/18/193215.htm

It's traumatic, and I think it's one of the things the railroad unions fought for, treatment due to this.

And being a 3 year old, and a 2 year old...

Good article. I doubt most people who have a loved one killed this way have much time to stop and think how it affects the first responders. Whether its the person that hit(unavoidably) the person or the police, emt, firefighter, bystander/witness that responds. Truly tragic for everyone involved.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    While I feel terrible for the kids and the responders on the scene, I can't help but place blame on the parents/guardian for not watching their damn kids. Like that's your main focus when you have kids, TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. Maybe I'm just a terrible person....?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Or at least teaching them the dangers of the train tracks you live next to. But at that age, they shouldn't be out exploring.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    While I feel terrible for the kids and the responders on the scene, I can't help but place blame on the parents/guardian for not watching their damn kids. Like that's your main focus when you have kids, TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. Maybe I'm just a terrible person....?
    Sadly, kids can be gone quickly. You can't watch them every second. The adults apparently underestimated the children's ability to open doors, or one was left unlocked. They were out looking for the kids according to the reports, they just couldn't see the kids because of weeds by the tracks.

The bottom line is, this was a tragedy. No more blame needs to be assigned. These people have to live with the fact that they lost a young child. If they have any humanity, they will blame themselves the rest of their lives.

Everyone involved will be irrevocably affected by this event.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Kids are escape artists.
    Feel bad for the family, first responders and hospital staff and especially the engineer. Usually the first responders have a little bit of support for events like this, as the article stated, doesn't look like the engineers really do yet.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yep. They'll lose that one. Insurance better just settle and get it over with.

did you read the article?
    cabelas violated state law (ohio) by not doing the background check on the guy (who had a long rap sheet). per federal law no background check is needed for the black powder antique sidearm. IIRC even felons can posses those. so cabelas followed federal law just not state.

guess the case can be made both ways..

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    cabelas violated state law (ohio) by not doing the background check on the guy (who had a long rap sheet). per federal law no background check is needed for the black powder antique sidearm. IIRC even felons can posses those. so cabelas followed federal law just not state.

The point is the will probably lose based on the State law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Sadly, kids can be gone quickly. You can't watch them every second. The adults apparently underestimated the children's ability to open doors, or one was left unlocked. They were out looking for the kids according to the reports, they just couldn't see the kids because of weeds by the tracks.

The bottom line is, this was a tragedy. No more blame needs to be assigned. These people have to live with the fact that they lost a young child. If they have any humanity, they will blame themselves the rest of their lives.

Everyone involved will be irrevocably affected by this event.

Very well said.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Abiding by federal law does not mean you do not have to abide state law. Unless it an area of law that the state has no standing in. Gun regulations do no qualify, sadly. They therefore broke Ohio state law, which I am betting will make them liable in this case. There may be more to it than we are being told, but it does not look good for Cabela's.

Here is another example that might clear it up. In Illinois you have to have a FOID to buy a gun or ammunition. The feds don't require it, but in IL you still cannot sell a gun or ammunition to an Illinois resident without a FOID. If you do, you broke Illinois law.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom