Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Left Community Hospital, more kidney stone issue. Second outpatient surgery was this morning. Had one 10 days ago.

I go back again next week :crying:

They gave me Percoset ... it makes me projectile vomit.

Fun time!

I found out that morphine does that to me after I had my gallbladder surgery. I've never been treated so badly at a hospital. I was at Broadway Methodist, and after pressing the nurse call button several times and telling them I had vomited, they literally walked by the room and tossed a towel to my mom on the way past.

Feel better, Bob.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Session 1:
    Safety discussion. Handling of 2 10/22's with a scope & red dot, 22/45 Lite, Glock 19, and cowboy action .22 revolver.
    Older brother= Fortnight just got real
    Reluctant gun mama=way more comfortable and confident, leaning toward accepting
    Goddaughter (9 year old)= natural

Session 2:
    Range day Thursday.
    (AK & AR on the back burner as a demonstration or for next level shooter...rooting for the later)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Were the stones brewing for a while or did you get dehydrated at the 500 and that pushed you over the edge?

They were large stones. Smallest stone was 6mm (1/4") and embedded in the wall of the high ureter tube. The other two both over 7mm. One was stopped in the left tube. And a third was stopped in the bladder. The fact that I was at the 500 was coincidence. FWIW, odds of naturally passing a stone over 5mm is slim. Odds of passing stones over 6mm even slimmer. 7mm and up and you might as well buy a PowerBall ticket.

10 days ago they went in and cleared the left side stones, both over 7mm. Yesterday they cleared the right side. Yesterday went quick, only about an hour. The first time he said 45min to 1 hour and he'd probably get all 3 of the stones. That didn't work as planned. After 2 hours he got the left side cleared and the right side he said was so swollen that he couldn't get to it. But its gone now.

One more related procedure (minor) to go, that will be next week.

Pain levels have dropped significantly. Not sleeping well, even with the aid of drugs, so I gave up on the drugs. Went to bed about 10pm, up at midnight to pee. Back to sleep by 12:30. Up again at 2am. Just awake. Sore, but not harsh pain. Pushing 4am now, thinking of heading back to bed? Or making coffee and starting the day?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I found out that morphine does that to me after I had my gallbladder surgery. I've never been treated so badly at a hospital. I was at Broadway Methodist, and after pressing the nurse call button several times and telling them I had vomited, they literally walked by the room and tossed a towel to my mom on the way past.

Feel better, Bob.
    Sorry to hear about your experience at Methodist.

Great treatment at Munster Community. Twice in 10 days.

I've had great treatment in Crown Point too at Franciscan in the past.

When I went into IU Med in Bloomington at the start of this mess the treatment there was marginal, but it was the emergency room, it got super busy late evening and there were at least 2 heart attack patients in there that got (rightfully) bumped in front of me. The room I was placed in was being remodeled. A bed and a chair. No equipment. Not call button for the nurse. Just a bed and a chair. The walls were literally under construction, floor dirty. But it was better than laying on the floor in the waiting room.

IU Med hospital gave me morphine. It helped for 10 minutes and then the pain sparked again so they hit me with Fentynal, which worked much better for a couple hours. Then I need meds again so they started the Percoset + Fentynal. That seemed to work pretty well. But every time I tried a percocet after that point it was projectile vomiting. They gave me an anti-nausea med to take with the percocet. I found out that 1/2 percocet + 1 anti-nausea pill would work pretty well. Vicodin, the other pain killer I got to take home as a 'party gift' seems to work reasonably well for pain but keeps me awake. I can't really take vicodin after 5pm.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Melensdad, glad you found a good combination while in the hospital. Vicodin only made me sleep but pain was still there. Morphine was nice, but after not eating for almost 2 days and coming off the drug I was vomiting. Sad because the food was excellent.
    I usually went to University of Chicago and always had excellent service. Granted it's been awhile since I've had to be a patient there. Now I'd go to Community if I need one in the area.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've been fortunate to never had that experience. A while back, I had a coworker, in his 20's, who got them prettying regularly. He called his first round "The day I gave birth."

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've heard acidic drinks like lemonade help you to never never get stones

Acidic drinks is too broad, but yes it is true that lemonade/limeade made from REAL lemon/lime juice does work to REDUCE stones. It is the citric acid that does it. So coffee and sodas, which are acidic, do not help, and some may actually help cause kidney stones. But there are enough real medical studies out there that show Lemon and Lime juice does help, and generally with good results. And of course, sweetened Lemonade flavored drinks like CountryTime are NOT the type of lemon/lime juice needed.

I've added Lemon or Lime juice to my morning smoothies. Won't help me today, but might prevent the next one.

BTW, pretty miserable today. I feel like a got a hug from Jedi and am physically traumatized. Hoping the drugs make that go away :rockwoot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom