• Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Soooooo got on some private land and the place even had a chronograph to use.... After running some of the 308 reloads on it I might need a bit more octane for my winter blend..... or maybe I should just find a warmer climate...

remy4259hdrfil.jpg

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Details?

Did these rounds work better in the hot weather? It doesn't really seem cold enough to be causing noticeable changes.

Soooooo got on some private land and the place even had a chronograph to use.... After running some of the 308 reloads on it I might need a bit more octane for my winter blend..... or maybe I should just find a warmer climate...

remy4259hdrfil.jpg

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well I was getting a average of 2640 out of them in 85 degree weather. Today my thermometer said 54 degrees and my average was 2583. The powder/load I am using has a bit more left to go up in grains so I'll try a couple with a half grain more and then a grain and maybe another half grain just to see. I am targeting duplicating Federal Gold Match 168 SMK HP factory load velocity which is 2650 according to their load information and according to my gun running a 5 shot string of their factory rounds it was averaging 2645 so.... I think I need to tweak the load a bit yet... Wondering what another 30 to 40 degree drop in temperature will do...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    because I don't normally worry about warming ammo when getting ready to hit a target... The velocity difference really hasn't been a problem on State ranges with their 200 yard top distance but I have already seen some other differences once breaking the 200 yard line and want to get this velocity difference as small as possible when shooting 200 or 400 or 700 or even possibly 900 yards out at this new range I found...

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Well I was getting a average of 2640 out of them in 85 degree weather. Today my thermometer said 54 degrees and my average was 2583. The powder/load I am using has a bit more left to go up in grains so I'll try a couple with a half grain more and then a grain and maybe another half grain just to see. I am targeting duplicating Federal Gold Match 168 SMK HP factory load velocity which is 2650 according to their load information and according to my gun running a 5 shot string of their factory rounds it was averaging 2645 so.... I think I need to tweak the load a bit yet... Wondering what another 30 to 40 degree drop in temperature will do...

What's your powder?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    yeah I have a assortment of powders, I was seeing the Win 760 on the shelves during the depression days of ammo and powder so I hooked on to some and decided it was a available powder during those times... It burns well and fills the case for a even burn, plus it has a couple grain top to bottom amount so there is some playing area on loads..

Rather than play with different powders I just decided this would be it and am working it to get that sweet summer and winter loads for my Remy 700.... Got that scope coming so I expect to be working that 700 yard range more in the future...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    PCP.... just means we hang out in the same neighborhoods...

BillB.... good luck... Just look them in the eye and tell them you are the guy for the job and they should hire you now before one of these other guys you have interviewed with this last week hire you... When do I start....

Just saying...

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bill, a word of advice, When you do what GB said, tell them to hire you, don't say higher,

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom